Southwest's New Look

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best things about flying Southwest:

Landing at Midway :)
If you think that's fun... you should try flying into my beloved hometown airport, Burbank-Bob Hope. The runway at BUR is even shorter than the one at MDW so the pilots really have to slam on the brakes and there's no jetways so you get to use airstairs!

I like Southwest for what they are and use them semi-frequently.

I was never a fan of the "mustard rocket" livery and really like the current one. That said, what bugs me about the change are the title in that I think it is too big (but that's the industry norm now) and the font. I'd much prefer a smaller title above the windows in the block capital font they currently have on the tail or upper and lower case in something other than the facebook font.

One of the best things about flying Southwest:

Landing at Midway :)
If you think that's fun... you should try flying into my beloved hometown airport, Burbank-Bob Hope. The runway at BUR is even shorter than the one at MDW so the pilots really have to slam on the brakes and there's no jetways so you get to use airstairs!
Flying out of SNA is always fun too. Max power takeoff to a quick power cut.

One of the best things about flying Southwest: Landing at Midway :)
Flying out of SNA is always fun too. Max power takeoff to a quick power cut.
Bob Hope and John Wayne have nothing on Princess Juliana.

I've never been to St. Maarten but the Old Hong Kong Airport provided a similar terrifying experience or thrill depending on your level of sanity! Benito Juarez in Mexico City was always a white knuckel experience also due to the density altitude, the mountains surrounding the Valley and the Short Runways!!

US Airports that I was always leery of take-offs and landings at included Washington National, San Diego, SFO and JFK!!!

I've never been to St. Maarten but the Old Hong Kong Airport provided a similar terrifying experience or thrill depending on your level of sanity! Benito Juarez in Mexico City was always a white knuckel experience also due to the density altitude, the mountains surrounding the Valley and the Short Runways!!

US Airports that I was always leery of take-offs and landings at included Washington National, San Diego, SFO and JFK!!!
Why JFK? One of its four active runway's (31L-13R) is nearly three miles long! It was an alternate Space Shuttle landing runway....

You probably meant LGA, which is sometimes "hairy", especially in bad weather.....

Who doesn't miss this one!?

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1410488756.547180.jpg

The classic!

BUR, SNA are pretty straight forward. Just short runways. Santa Barbara can be a challenge though as you make a last minute turn to line up for a short runway. The rich people don't want planes over their houses, so you have to approach from over the water. SFO has long runways, but is challenging do to the close proximity of your "partner" aircraft while on final to the 28's. You can almost waive to the people in the other plane.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1410489291.328270.jpg

Like this close.

The most challenging airport I've been to is Mammoth Lakes.

Why JFK? One of its four active runway's (31L-13R) is nearly three miles long! It was an alternate Space Shuttle landing runway....You probably meant LGA, which is sometimes "hairy", especially in bad weather.....
Anything that involves water surrounding airports worries me ( cpuld have included Logan in Boston too)plus bird strikes were common there ( my Uncle is a retired Airline Capt and dislikes JFK, there were several overruns where planes went into the water and lots of delays!))

Okay....I'll concede the bird-strike possibility....afterall, JFK is practically surrounded by a 'sanctuary' for them (what were they thinking!?), but I'd rather come in low over water, than tall building's, radio antenna's, or mountains during IFR weather.....

One of the biggest challenges of flying at JFK, is the huge traffic congestion together with all the other closeby area airports. That is more a problem for the ATC controller's, but you still have to watch out...

I think the old MKC "downtown" Kansas City was a 'fun' challenge. And the mountain airports, like Aspen, Jackson, Wy., and the like, into "box canyon's", or where you have to "spiral" around to climb out over surrounding miountains took some nerve....

The only I can think of that ran off of the runway into the water at JFK in the last 35 or so years was an SAS (I think DC-10) plane in the early 80's. LGA on the other hand, I can think of at least two or three. I hate flying into LGA especially in bad weather due to the short runways, close proximity to water at the ends of three of the runways and no room for error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back