Spacing between cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilburn542004

Train Attendant
A co-worker and I were discussing my first trip on Amtrak and she has me a little concerned about moving between cars such as going to the lounge car from the coach car.

I have looked at numerous pictures on various sites and it doesn't look to bad. Are the cars pretty close together? From what I see it shouldn't be too difficult. My co-worker mentioned that she had a difficult time with her young child (age 4) passing through the door. She was on a train to Spokane, not sure which one it was.

How are the entrance\exit doors set up on the trains? How far apart are the cars? We will be traveling on The Cardinal, Silver Star and the Silver Meteor. My youngest child is 9 years of age. He will not be moving between cars without supervision, of course, so I wonder what her major problem was with her child. Some people you just smile and nod.

Thanx,

Brenda

Moving between cars isn't very hard at all. However care should be taken to step over the actual junction between the two cars. There are two metal plates that meet with a gap of maybe one inch or so, making it it easy to step over the gap. Never step directly on the gap though, as that could result in pinched toes if the train bounces at the wrong moment. Otherwise the space between the cars is covered by a diagphram and there are grab handles to hold onto.

Depending on how tall your 9-year-old is, they may or may not be able to reach the handles on their own. In that case you may want to hold onto their hand, while holding onto the handle with your other hand.

I've taken my nieces and nephews on the train on a couple of occasions. When they were under three, an adult carried them between. Otherwise they have all walked across, albiet with an adult holding their hand until they were tall enough to hold the grab handles on their own. :)

Also all doors, with the possible exception of the dining car, are automatic. One needs only to push a large square button to open the door. There is also a button at foot level too, just in case you are carrying something, just watch your balance when kicking the button. :lol:

Thank you, this sets my mind at ease. The way my co-worker spoke of her experience, my mental image was of the old cowboy and indian movies where the trains would have the railing around the back of one car and you would jump over the big "joined or coupled" area onto the next car. :lol:

The old, old cars before about the 1890s were platformed (open-ended) rather than our modern "vestibuled" cars. The improvement was, generally, to relieve the discomfort and increase the safety of passing between those old cars in the out-of-doors, experiencing the wind, smoke, possibly sparks, cinders and steam (from coal firing) and, in a tunnel...all nostalgic, of course, to some of us railroad enthusiasts.

We have it much better now. The relatively slight experience of hearing the wheels whirr, clattering through switches in the tracks, possibly clikety-clacking along the rails, a possible hint of diesel smoke and the outside temperature/humidity are somewhat all that remain suggesting to us how good are our vestibuled cars.

DO hold onto handrails as much as possible! Refer to the onboard safety literature. If the automatic doors won't open, they usually can be slid open manually with the handle near the "OPEN" button. If not, get one of the crew to open it for you, following their instructions. DO NOT linger in the vestibule. It is where the cars are coupled and is really meant only for normally quick passage from one car to another. DO NOT pass barefooted between cars. Solid toed shoes are safer than open toed shoes.

Have a happy trip and enjoy the ability to sleep, eat, use the restroom, walk about, socialize and sightsee-- with regulated professionals doing the driving and, since its the train, without having to worry about their steering ability!

One additional comment, try to listen to the PA, as there are several spots near major terminals where the crew will tell passengers to stay seated. Normally during reverse moves, and entering yard limits, you'll hit a ton of switches making it difficult, even for the most seasoned riders to move around. If you hear that announcement, just wait it out until you hear the all clear from the crew.

I have a 2, 5, and 9 year old and it isn't a problem for us. My five year old can pass through fine although I wouldn't let her do it by herself, my nine year old handles it fine. As far as how far you have to travel between cars, thats hard to say exactly athough if you are traveling in a sleeper you can have a good idea. Count on passing through at least one car and probably no more than two.

Aloha

This shows the coupling from the end of the train
9300143-M.jpg

next car will touch and enclose the space between doors.

My boys have always enjoyed moving between cars and have never had any problems. I do sorta miss the old vestabules with the latched doors and the snow drifts in winter. (Sorta)

It should probably be noted GG-1's picture is of a Cab Car, not all (actually virtually none of the) cars have windows on the end like that, except on the vestibule door.

Back