"Special" Amtrak train to Minneapolis today (9/20/10)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
Just (barely) overheard on the scanner the CP dispatcher for the Watertown sub in Wisconsin saying something about a "special" Amtrak train "running all the way to Minneapolis" today. The Empire Builder runs everyday to MSP, so I don't think that is it since there's nothing "special" about that (well, not in this context anyway).

Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Yes, I admit, I listen to the scanner even when I'm at work. I figure others listen to FM, internet, and even ... ahem... AM ... radio, so I can listen to "rail" radio.

They had a stub train operating in Illinois on Friday for a public event at one of the stations (Joliet? Bloomington?) This could have been something similar to that--particularly if there's some important governor race or state congressional issue.

Maybe I can solve part of the mystery.

I was inbound today (9/20) on #8/28 from MSP-CHI for my last Trails & Rails trip and near Watertown, WI we passed a train with a Genesis locomotive... a couple of Amfleet cars... and what looked like a track inspection car on the very back. We were zipping by at a pretty high rate of speed so that is all I could make out.

This was between CBS and MKE (maybe near Watertown ??) probably around 1:30PM CT.

Not sure what was going on with it though??

It's just an FRA inspection train. Amtrak runs these all the time, all over the place. Not really *that* special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back