Specifications for new bi-level cars released

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been to Houston's station many times (use to live there). What is wrong with the platform?
It's too low compared to most other stations, and attendents have to place a stool for people to climb up. I guess it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I mean c'mon, this is the 21st century, and we still have to use a stool to board a train. :angry:

I have been to Houston's station many times (use to live there). What is wrong with the platform?
It's too low compared to most other stations, and attendents have to place a stool for people to climb up. I guess it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I mean c'mon, this is the 21st century, and we still have to use a stool to board a train. :angry:
With Superliners, they use the stool at pretty much all stations. So Houston is no different. It is just the design of the cars.

Yea, but does the staircase really remove that much revenue space if any? Plus, couldn't having the two doors speed loading and unloading at terminal and other major stops?
Having just one staircase like the Surfliners would cut into at least two rooms upstairs and the bathrooms or roomettes downstairs.

It's too low compared to most other stations, and attendents have to place a stool for people to climb up. I guess it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I mean c'mon, this is the 21st century, and we still have to use a stool to board a train.
mad.gif
The use of a stool hardly makes Houston unusual. Outside of the Northeast (with high platforms at many stations), it seems many (perhaps most, particularly if all small stations are included) stations require the use of the stepstools to board the trains.

These aren't LD cars, they'll be used for corridor service in Chicago as well as other HSR projects, such as the Tri-C Corridor in Ohio. I don't think Houston will be seeing these cars anytime soon--
They won't be quite high speed by world standards since they will be restricted to Tier I 125mph. So it is safe to say that cars/trainsets that are procured to run on the California or Florida HSR will not be based on this design.

Same is true of the standard single level car that has been speced as Tier I cars, which incidentally says pretty much that they should look like Acela cars more or less (minus the Tier II features) with several structural features from Viewliners.

Interestingly, that spec makes it clear that the shape and size of windows in the Tier I single level cars, while preferably as big as the Acelas, must be different from those in Tier II equipment (capable of > 125mph e.g. Acelas) so as to make sure that by mistake Tier I glazing does not get installed in Tier II cars, since apparently the glazing standards are also different between Tier I and Tier II.

Last edited by a moderator:
so as to make sure that by mistake Tier I glazing does not get installed in Tier II cars, since apparently the glazing standards are also different between Tier I and Tier II.
Interesting, mechanical and other standards like this interest me, though I don't always fully understand the "why". Can someone illuminate me?

so as to make sure that by mistake Tier I glazing does not get installed in Tier II cars, since apparently the glazing standards are also different between Tier I and Tier II.
Interesting, mechanical and other standards like this interest me, though I don't always fully understand the "why". Can someone illuminate me?
I don't know for sure. But it might have to do with the degree of shatter resistance required and the amount of force that is required for it to lose structural integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back