Splitting Tickets for Maple Leaf in Canada

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TML

Service Attendant
As we all know, the Canadian portion of the Maple Leaf (from Niagara Falls to Toronto) is excluded from Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption travel, as well as all membership-based Amtrak discounts (e.g. AAA, Student Advantage, NARP, ISIC, etc.). One idea that has been floating in my mind is to use either AGR points or a membership-based discount on the US portion of the Maple Leaf (up to Niagara Falls, NY) as one ticket, while paying full fare for the Canadian portion (from Niagara Falls, NY on into Canada) as a separate ticket. However, if I were to attempt to do this, I wonder if Amtrak staff members (either onboard the train or at the ticket counter) might view this as cheating and/or exploitation of the system and thus try to disallow me from riding unless I paid full fare for the entire trip... :wacko:

Perfectly OK to book an AGR Award to CBN on Amtrak( Niagara Falls, NY/ shown as CBN-Canadian Border on the itinerary) and then Pay for the CBN-TWO(NFS-Niagara Falls, ON-Toronto) portion of the trip on VIA. You will receive a paper ticket since VIAs Scanners arent compatible with Amtrak e-tickets).

One interesting fact of this trip is that Amtrak will book you in Business Class on the Maple Leaf ( nice 2x1 Seating in the Cafe Car and Worth the Upgrade)) to the Border. When the Train crosses the Border across the Whirlpool Bridge it changes Crews (and even the food and drink sold in the Cafe) and becomes a VIA Train from NFS ( Ontario side) to Toronto ( TWO). Same thing upon return in reverse.

VIA doesn't have Business Class on this Train even though you're in the same car and charges you $1 CDN for the ride plus the Separate Rail Fare Paid to VIA on the NFS- TWO leg of the trip.

You can't book this on- line, you must call AGR and the Agent will fix you up.

Don't forget your Passport or Enhanced DL, you have to give the Info when you book the Trip and you will get off the Train @ the Station in NFS for Canadian Customs and Immigration on the way up and @ the NFL Station in the way back for American Interegation, er check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back