Starbucks Express opens in Chicago's Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for the "Brand" junkies, but there are many Better and Cheaper Coffee shops everywhere!

I've never been a "Bigbucks" fan, but like MickeyDs ( which has Better and Cheaper Coffee) and Wallyworld, they're Everywhere! They're Everywhere!
"Everywhere" is a word that's primarily the provenance of those in urban areas or larger college towns. In my burg, "better and cheaper" coffee doesn't exist. In fact, the most expensive coffee drink I ever got was at my local bookstore. It reminded me of watery hot chocolate like that which used to be dispensed by machines in restaurants in the 70s and at vending machines.
Likewise, the nearest Starbucks is 37 miles from my home. The most desired new business in my hometown isn't another (badly needed) new restaurant, it's a Starbucks. It's unfortunate that their development model believes that the demographics won't support a store (particularly since an Interstate highway runs right by the town). Put a drive-thru store with a giant sign and they'd make a killing.

I bought coffee at the original Starbucks in Seattle back in '88. Was good

I (my kid actually paid)

Bought a Vente Latte onboard USS Abraham Lincoln (Tiger Cruise) -- yes - Starbucks supports our troops, the carrier had (sales promotion) a 3 foot counter space near the enlisted mess --donated and supplied by Starbucks. (NAVY coffee is OK, not good, has the caffeine - the Starbucks aboard was good)

BUT -- there's better coffee out there (not on the carrier :) )

Coffee lovers can find better locally most places.

I like Starbucks. The Haddonfield (NJ) store is my go-to spot most mornings where I grab something to drink, chat with some friends, check overnight e-mail, the current headlines, and see who's mad at me at AU. It's a little like Cheers, where everybody knows your name, except with coffee, not beer.

(Posted from Starbucks)

I like Starbucks. The Haddonfield (NJ) store is my go-to spot most mornings where I grab something to drink, chat with some friends, check overnight e-mail, the current headlines, and see who's mad at me at AU. It's a little like Cheers, where everybody knows your name, except with coffee, not beer.

(Posted from Starbucks)
Funny you should mention. My wife is from Haddonfield and we stop there on our trips down that way. As for CUS Starbucks express they will do just fine (like the one at WAS) but we always walk to Greektown to eat and coffee up when we have a several hour connection break in Chicago. The youth audience seems to have no problem spending $5 on a Latte or Cappucino not realizing that the main ingredient is water. The coffee tends to be darker roasted at Starbucks but they usually offer a light coffee as well. With the large amount of renovation work at CUS, we should expect to see many more food places but I wish they would open up a restaurant in the old Fred Harvey area. Old pictures of that place really showed that it was a good place to eat with a nice ambiance.

Coffee is extremely subjective. Canadians love Tim Hortons it seems... I will go to a Starbucks over Tim Hortons any day. (For the coffee... not the Doughnuts! Tim's got them beat there!). McDonalds coffee is better than nothing, but I'm not a big fan.

Most starbucks will let you taste the different coffees they have that day. So if you are not a fan of the Pike Place (which is "burnt" on purpose...) ask to try the seasonal coffee and/or the blonde. Starbucks buys pretty good quality beans. If you go to one of the shops with a "Clover" Machine they will brew any type of coffee they have (with some really exotic ones usually in stock) fresh for you on the clover machine.

Word of warning... If you think Starbucks has high prices, stay clear of the "fancy" local coffee shops.

Coffee is extremely subjective. Canadians love Tim Hortons it seems... I will go to a Starbucks over Tim Hortons any day. (For the coffee... not the Doughnuts! Tim's got them beat there!). McDonalds coffee is better than nothing, but I'm not a big fan.

Most starbucks will let you taste the different coffees they have that day. So if you are not a fan of the Pike Place (which is "burnt" on purpose...) ask to try the seasonal coffee and/or the blonde. Starbucks buys pretty good quality beans. If you go to one of the shops with a "Clover" Machine they will brew any type of coffee they have (with some really exotic ones usually in stock) fresh for you on the clover machine.

Word of warning... If you think Starbucks has high prices, stay clear of the "fancy" local coffee shops.
Very true regarding local coffee shops. Many a times have I gone into a local joint and come out feeling ripped off. Add a side of attitude to that in about 35% of the time. Or employee can't be found since they are off on their phone or just socializing with their friends.

The local coffee shops I grew up frequenting in Lincoln aren't more expensive than Starbucks. They're comparably priced, if not a little cheaper. A tall black coffee is $1.89 at Starbucks, and it's $1.37 at the Mill (and most other independent coffee shops in town are about the same).

This may not be true in much bigger cities. I went to a couple coffee shops in Chicago that were a lot like how Seat38a described. Perhaps if I grew up in a place where independent coffee shops were pretentious and more expensive than Starbucks, I would be a bigger fan too.

I have been a Starbucks user for years since their quality is maintained throughout all their company owned stores. When you traveled as much as I used to do across the lower 48, Alaska and Hawaii, always on a tight schedule, having a reliable cup of coffee was a plus. Also, the company stores generally were very friendly and helpful to an out of towner.

I have been a Starbucks user for years since their quality is maintained throughout all their company owned stores. When you traveled as much as I used to do across the lower 48, Alaska and Hawaii, always on a tight schedule, having a reliable cup of coffee was a plus. Also, the company stores generally were very friendly and helpful to an out of towner.
Same Marketing scheme used by Holiday Inn,McDonalds and most Chains.

I used to travel extinisvely on business and had no problem with this as applied to Airlines, Hotels/Motels and Rent Cars, but sought out Local Mom and Pop joints when it came to food, drinks, entertainment etc.

"When in Rome do as the Roman's do!"YMMV

You must have commuted from the Northside :rolleyes: I'm a former Southsider myself, and I don't think the clientele at La Salle St. station is on quite the same level as some over at CUS.
Your guess is accurate. I used to ride the Milwaukee North line frequently into Union Station. I also used to ride the Union Pacific North line as an alternative into Ogilvie Transportation Center many times. Both of these lines had a ton of wealthy commuters (especially the Union Pacific North which hugged the lakeshore). The line was full of lawyers as well as numerous finance professionals. Let's also not forget that the super popular BNSF line goes into Union Station as well (BNSF goes through well-to-do west suburban areas such as Naperville, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, La Grange, etc.).

I now reside in Detroit's west suburbs (in SE Michigan) where rail commutes are a foreign concept. I do enjoy my periodic Amtrak trips back into Chicago though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bite your tongue, Navy coffee is the coffee all others are judged by.
Well, for sure. :)

The only problem for us geezers is, the Navy won't let us enlist for four years,

Only the young get enough years in the Navy to truly learn how to love Navy coffee. :)

You must have commuted from the Northside :rolleyes: I'm a former Southsider myself, and I don't think the clientele at La Salle St. station is on quite the same level as some over at CUS.
Your guess is accurate. I used to ride the Milwaukee North line frequently into Union Station. I also used to ride the Union Pacific North line as an alternative into Ogilvie Transportation Center many times. Both of these lines had a ton of wealthy commuters (especially the Union Pacific North which hugged the lakeshore). The line was full of lawyers as well as numerous finance professionals. Let's also not forget that the super popular BNSF line goes into Union Station as well (BNSF goes through well-to-do west suburban areas such as Naperville, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, La Grange, etc.).

As a south suburbanite, I must take exception to these generalities. The Starbucks at Randolph Street station (i.e Millenium Park station), home of the Electric District to the south side and south suburbs and South Shore to Northwest Indiana, is extremely busy. I imagine a Starbucks at LaSalle Street station, home to all those traders who use the Rock Island and live in Beverly, Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, Frankort, New Lenox, would also enjoy a Starbucks. Personally, I've been ordered off caffine in general and so avoid all coffee and Coke/Pepsi type products. I used to really love Dunkin Donuts coffee and Diet Coke.

I now reside in Detroit's west suburbs (in SE Michigan) where rail commutes are a foreign concept. I do enjoy my periodic Amtrak trips back into Chicago though.

As a south suburbanite, I must take exception to these generalities. The Starbucks at Randolph Street station (i.e Millenium Park station), home of the Electric District to the south side and south suburbs and South Shore to Northwest Indiana, is extremely busy. I imagine a Starbucks at LaSalle Street station, home to all those traders who use the Rock Island and live in Beverly, Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, Frankort, New Lenox, would also enjoy a Starbucks. Personally, I've been ordered off caffine in general and so avoid all coffee and Coke/Pepsi type products. I used to really love Dunkin Donuts coffee and Diet Coke.

I actually agree with you here. The SW burbs aren't nearly as blue collar as some northsiders may believe. I have worked with folks from that area at one point (I was employed in La Grange & had co-workers from areas such as Orland Park, Shorewood, etc.). I have friends that reside in Orland Park & Palos Park. I think that the demand has skyrocketed for more frequent service from these areas into Chicago via Metra rail. These towns lack sufficient weekend service given the healthy demand. Orland Park has arguably turned into one of Chicago's most popular suburban areas since you tend to get more for your money (more affordable McMansions than up north & out west, hehe).

In my book, any store-bought brewed coffee is very costly when compared to the stuff I brew at home. Including the cost of the nothing-special coffee, filter and electricity for brewing it's a bit less than 1.7¢ for an 8oz cup. And I've got lots of Thermos jugs - good ones with the glass bottle inside!

When walking TO Chicago Union Station 3 mornings running last month for daily points runs, I noticed dozens of people walking FROM the vicinity of CUS stepping into Mickey D'a and other fast joints to pick up coffee. So perhaps many of these folks just slept dueing their inbound train ride, delaying their caffeine pickup.

I don't care for Starbucks whether hot or cold but I believe coffee in this country has gotten better since they went national. I think it was a good influence on fast food outlets and home brewing and everything between those categories. We have started drinking more flavorful coffee made with better beans which I consider good news. The best cup of coffee I've had in years and maybe ever was recently at a La Colombe shop in Philadelphia for the cost of $2. I was on a 7500 mile AGR trip and I'm glad I stopped in there. Amazing coffee. Worst cup of coffee I ever had was made in my own kitchen. ☕

You beat me to it! The Starbucks at Randolph is busy at the inbound rush. The local coffee place in the pedway closed (can't remember the name) - better, but more expensive and slower coffee. For cheaper and quicker coffee take the escalator up to the cafeteria style restaurant in the Prudential building.

The Starbucks WiFi works better then the Wi-Fi in the so-called Metropolitan Lounge. They checked us in, and didn't give us the password.
The password is posted in plain sight in the Metropolitan Lounge on top of the workstation with the desktop computers. It works just fine. If someone can't see it, just ask, the attendant would be more than happy to point it out.

It works just fine.
It does now, but there was a time (as recently as two years ago) where it didn't, or was about as useful as Wi-Fi on the Northeast Regional when it first took hold. Wi-Fi isn't that difficult to implement in a fixed location, yet many places that offer it treat it like the free coffee in auto repair shops: it's technically there and it's technically coffee, but you really don't want to partake.

This is so true. Back before the turn of the century when Starbucks was taking off nationally and every Tom, Dick, and Harriet wondered how they could get in on this gravy train. So they rented an espresso machine and thought they could charge Starbucks prices, often with an upcharge. Most of them didn't know what they were doing and wondered why people didn't flock to their business. Fortunately most of them closed and the ones that are operate today generally know how to make decent coffee. Though there's still one local place in a nearby community where the attitude of the owners is often "it would be so nice if you weren't here"; but they've got a good location so they stay in business.

Another example: when I was in NYC in January, I stopped by a local place near Bryant Park. It was clean, service was refreshingly un-Manhattanlike (pleasant and cordial, if not quite friendly), and the owner was on duty. But a 16 oz latte and a cookie was $10, gratuity not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back