Starlight Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Ok guys well it has come time for another summer trip. I have a few questions for you.

I used to be real familiar with the starlight and its operations but since moving from the bay area about 6 years ago, I have forgotten a few things. I am just curious where my rooms are located on 11/14 (first, second, third car in consist, etc). Here is what I got after making the reservations:

Southbound #11:

Room 004

Car 1131

Northbound #14:

Room 008

Car 1431

The 31 cars are the second ones from the diner (i.e. Diner - Parlour - 1430 - 1431). Assuming the car is facing "forward" (i.e. deluxe rooms forward), rooms 4 and 8 would be on the left side, with 8 closer to the end of the car.

Speaking of the StarLATE, #11/14 have been substantially late lately. Yesterday however, it was even worse then normal. 11 left Martinez only 4 hours late and by the time it go to San Luis it was 11 hours late, and is now expected 14 hours late. Anyone hear anything? I’m hoping this is more then just UP dispatching...but not going to be surprised.

The lateness on this route is usually caused EXCLUSIVELY by poor UP dispatching. Sorry, I know you had hoped to hear otherwise. My last 9-10 trips on the route (over the last two years or so) averaged about six hours late into my destination, if that helps. It is still a nice ride - just do not expect to depart or arrive anywhere near on time and you should enjoy it...

From my trips on the Corridor to and from the Bay Area (including a run on a 3 hour late 14) lately there is some kind of trackwork going on near San Jose that is causing some delays in the Bay Area but I'm sure UP is messing things up down south.

Yea, I talked to a guy near San Luis yesterday. He said the major delay was due mostly to a number of UP crews going dead on the law and blocking the main for hours. Shoulda known.

Back