Stay out of lower level roommettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
Someone mentioned that it is good to stay out of the lower level roommettes on SWC. Cold, noisy (kids in family room next to us), etc. Any other experiences anyone? Should I switch? I like the idea that maybe it was quieter (less people passing by) but then again if there are noisy kids next to you................ We only had the lower level once and we had the family room. My "kid" was 17.

It is a little quieter because of less foot traffic. It's a toss up with family room. Usually during the summer season, you'll have a higher chance that there will be kids because of summer break from school.

If the room is cold, close the A/C vent overhead and use the heater control next to the head rest. The heater is located where the fold in table tray is located.

On a negative side, you won't be able to see much of a scenic view in a distance at ground level.

As for me, I wouldn't mind taking the lower level if I'm well familiar with the route or is at night time trip. Otherwise, I'll go to the sightseer car.

Someone mentioned that it is good to stay out of the lower level roommettes on SWC. Cold, noisy (kids in family room next to us), etc. Any other experiences anyone? Should I switch? I like the idea that maybe it was quieter (less people passing by) but then again if there are noisy kids next to you................ We only had the lower level once and we had the family room. My "kid" was 17.
I don't mind most of that stuff. If it's cold I'll bundle up. If it's noisy I'll tell whoever it is to calm down. If the view is too low I'll go to the lounge. But, there's one thing I simply cannot do much to resolve. Care to guess what that is? A broken toilet system. And when those things break down they tend to leak. And when they leak guess which floor is blessed with the result... Yup, I'd switch.

As you say, some people prefer them because you get less 'traffic' passing by, plus the 3 bathrooms and the shower are right there. The other people who like them are folks who have mobility issues, as they can even stay in their room and have the SCA bring them their meals.

Personally I think you get more 'road noise' by being right next to the wheels in them, and I think the view from the upper level is better. When I get a lower level roomette I call and change it for an upper level room, if there are any available. If you want to change, do it now, before the other rooms book up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's totally up to you!

Maybe the Family Room will be unoccupied, or (as I used it once) may have only 2 adults in it. What's not to say the "kids" may be quiet and the "adults" noisy?
huh.gif
And that could happen in any other room also!

Some prefer the lower level, and some (like me) prefer the upper level. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's your choice,

You get a bit more track noise at that level too. It doesn't bother me (it actually helps me sleep), but I know other people can't tolerate it.

I'm with Texas Eagle. I can't stand the smell of the bathrooms as it is. I have a super sensitive sniffer, and I can smell them on the upper level. The idea of being near them on the lower level, especially if they break, makes me nervous.

Also, the lower level windows get fairly dirty since you're near ground level. The upper level windows stay cleaner. Some people who have lower level sleepers bring Windex with them so they can clean their window at the longer stops. ^_^

I forgot one: a lot of people let the bathroom doors slam shut when they leave. Also, some people don't close them upon leaving, so the open doors bang! bang! bang! in rhythm with the train rocking.

I have always enjoyed the lower level and enjoyed it on the SWC. while you may not get as far-reaching of a view, the view is nonetheless wonderful, particularly as you travel through New Mexico. and honestly, you're just as likely to have noisy kids in roommettes upstairs as you are in the family room. i would say try it and you might find you really like it! plus there is always the option of going to the SSL. I personally have found the lower level to be quieter and cozier.

There are advantages. Bathrooms and shower are right down the hall. The dutch doors are easy to reach when an attendant is not down there and you can hang out and take some pics. It is quite due to less traffic. Many use the bathroom on the second floor rather than climb down the stairs. If you want to see more scenery go to the lounge car. I have had both upstairs and down and either works for me.

Opening the Dutch doors is against the rules. And dangerous. I used to do this years ago. The view is great and fresh air fantastic. However the crew really dislikes this. On one trip in my teenage years I was too persistent about enjoying the open Dutch door, and the conductor warned me that the NExt time I would be put off the train. So that was that. The conductor was right too.

There are no "Dutch doors" on Superliners. There are windows in the door, accompanied by a regularly-enforced sign that says that only employees are allowed to open doors or windows.

Would it be safe to assume that the lower level rooms are more "unsafe?" I mean think about it, if something hits the train, or some load shifts from a flatcar or trailer coming off of a passing freight, chances are it will hit the lower level first, right? I feel much "safer" in the upper level rooms.

I don't mind most of that stuff. If it's cold I'll bundle up. If it's noisy I'll tell whoever it is to calm down. If the view is too low I'll go to the lounge. But, there's one thing I simply cannot do much to resolve. Care to guess what that is? A broken toilet system. And when those things break down they tend to leak. And when they leak guess which floor is blessed with the result... Yup, I'd switch.

I don't care about it being cold or noisy, but the lowview is one of the biggest reasons I hate car travel. As expected, I do not like broken toilets!

You get a bit more track noise at that level too. It doesn't bother me (it actually helps me sleep), but I know other people can't tolerate it.

I'm with Texas Eagle. I can't stand the smell of the bathrooms as it is. I have a super sensitive sniffer, and I can smell them on the upper level. The idea of being near them on the lower level, especially if they break, makes me nervous.

Also, the lower level windows get fairly dirty since you're near ground level. The upper level windows stay cleaner. Some people who have lower level sleepers bring Windex with them so they can clean their window at the longer stops. ^_^
good points.. excellent advice about windex.. thanks for sharing that hint!!

Would it be safe to assume that the lower level rooms are more "unsafe?" I mean think about it, if something hits the train, or some load shifts from a flatcar or trailer coming off of a passing freight, chances are it will hit the lower level first, right? I feel much "safer" in the upper level rooms.
Not to burst your bubble, but a few years ago a door broke lose on a boxcar of a freight train on the CSX tracks. That door banged into a Silver train banging things up here and there a bit, IIRC both one engine and the baggage car took a bump. The worst damage however was to a Heritage Dining car, which nearly had one entire corner of its roof sliced off.

The roof of a Heritage Dining car would probably be right around seat level in a sleeping compartment. :eek:

I always have an upper roomette as I get motion sickness from the other trains that are met at track speed. Rolling wheels at 79MPH just make me dizzy.

No, that is not a good assumption. If something comes off a passing train, you are in trouble.

Maybe the Family Room will be unoccupied, or (as I used it once) may have only 2 adults in it. What's not to say the "kids" may be quiet and the "adults" noisy?
huh.gif
And that could happen in any other room also!
I agree. A redneck rendezvous can happen anywhere, even where you least expect it.

Noisey Neighbors can be found on the upper or lower level!!! I've been in both several times & both have their pros & cons! Don't really fret too much either way!!!

Have Fun

Even with fully functional toilets, the lower level has a tendency to get that diaper-ish smell a bit more quickly than the upper level.

Not to burst your bubble, but a few years ago a door broke lose on a boxcar of a freight train on the CSX tracks. That door banged into a Silver train banging things up here and there a bit, IIRC both one engine and the baggage car took a bump. The worst damage however was to a Heritage Dining car, which nearly had one entire corner of its roof sliced off.

The roof of a Heritage Dining car would probably be right around seat level in a sleeping compartment. :eek:
Oh my god, Alan. Way to freak me right out of train travel. ;)

Oh my god, Alan. Way to freak me right out of train travel. ;)
Sorry! :(

The good news is that no one was hurt in that accident. Additionally, in the case of a Superliner car, the crash protection at the end of the car would take the brunt of the impact, so the odds of someone being hurt inside the car are very low.

Finally, that type of accident is very, very rare.

But my point remains, that assuming that the upper level is safer than the lower is a false assumption.

Please keep booking the upper level roomettes and leave the lower level open for those of us who know they are better! :)

My son and I had a roomette on the lower level, I liked it. I thought it was quiet, close to the toilets and shower. But then again, it is not often I have a sleeper so I suppose I would like one wherever it was :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back