Strike on VIA Rail Pending and affect on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This ONLY would impact Maple Leaf service 63/64 over the border in Canada. The trains would operate normally NYP-NFL; NFL-NYP.

Adirondack service 69/68 would NOT be affected.

Amtrak Cascades service to Vancouver would NOT be affected.

This ONLY would impact Maple Leaf service 63/64 over the border in Canada. The trains would operate normally NYP-NFL; NFL-NYP.

Yes it would, even though these trains are Amtrak crewed equipment, all of the Station agents, yard workers,dispatchers etc. in Canada are VIA employees and would be on strike, not at work! The Stations wouldn't be Open!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes it would, even though these trains are Amtrak crewed equipment, all of the Station agents, yard workers,dispatchers etc. in Canada are VIA employees and would be on strike, not at work! The Stations wouldn't be Open!
Believe as you wish but that is what is being communicated.

I still don't see how the Adirondack can be boarded at Central Station if they can not sell tickets at the ticket windows (those are VIA employees), there are no station employees (those are VIA employees) and there are no gate agents (those are VIA employees). :huh: Amtrak has no employees in MTR.

Don't think this will impact the Vancouver, BC Cascades service. The station is a mixed use bus/train station. The gate agents are the conductor and crew.Luggage prescreening is by a private security contractor and you take all your checked baggage to the baggage car. The only impact would be trying to pick up paper tickets at the Via counter. The only time I have needed paper tickets is when I through book a trip to Toronto. Amtrak would not issue electronic tickets because of the Via leg on the Maple Leaf. If Via is on strike that option isn't available anyways. If one wanted to get to Toronto from Buffalo via the LSL get off at Depew, Grab a taxi to the airport and use the airport bus shuttle to downtown Toronto. Might be quicker given the way Canada customs delays the train at Niagara Falls, ON.

Thanks for fixing the link.

As for Vancouver and Montreal, I can't picture Amtrak's union employees walking past a picket line to get to their trains.

Ken

Via Rail is posting on their website EXCEPTIONS to trains affected by the strike. That list indicates all long distance Via Rail trains such as the Canadian and the Ocean will operate as scheduled so it would be possible for an Amtrak train to board, etc in Toronto or Montreal. - Not that they will.

As for Vancouver and Montreal, I can't picture Amtrak's union employees walking past a picket line to get to their trains.
I would think that to be the case too. While "officially" Amtrak trains can still operate in Canada during the VIA strike, I have to believe that unionized Amtrak employees would honor the VIA picket lines, and not cross them.

It is also possible that the unions have an "arrangement" to not disrupt certain services by not having a picket line in a specific location. All we are doing now is making our best guesses.

Via Rail is posting on their website EXCEPTIONS to trains affected by the strike. That list indicates all long distance Via Rail trains such as the Canadian and the Ocean will operate as scheduled so it would be possible for an Amtrak train to board, etc in Toronto or Montreal. - Not that they will.
The exceptions list is actually for long-distance routes already in progress. If the strike call comes tonight, no new trains will be departing, long-distance or not.

For those here that are not familiar with Unions, Canada has VERY Strong Unions and Laws that protect Workers Rights, something We used to have before the Greed Heads and their Puppet Politicians crushed them!

Solidarity forever is a way of life in Canadian Unions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back