Stroller for a toddler?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
I'm going with my train-crazy kid on the CS from EMY-SJC where we can have breakfast in the dining car. We sort of did this before when Richmond was a stop, but that's no longer an option. I would also note that I was incorrect that $14 is the low bucket. I've always seen at least $14 until I priced this trip. I got an adult fare of $11, while Capitol Corridor is always $18.

Now I've already got the tickets and I'm not going through the charade that my kid is under two just to save $5.50. However, last time I didn't bring a stroller and I got tired of carrying a sleeping kid for half a mile in San Jose. Since my kid is ticketed, I don't think the free carry-on for an infant stroller applies, although I'm guessing it could be up to the discretion of the conductor. However, I'm not carrying anything else other than a diaper bag and maybe a small daypack. With two ticketed passengers that should be four carry-on items allowed. I guess my issue is that folded up the stroller is more than the allowed 28"x22"x11". It's about four feet long. The rules seem to exempt strollers for infants (who don't pay) but not for those over 2. I know if I fly, all airlines will gate check it in for free regardless of the age of the child.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565003

I suppose worst case is that I could check it in on the CS, but that's seems a bit odd to do for such a short trip. What should I expect if I arrive in line with a stroller like that? Will they ask me to check it in or will I be able to stash this thing in an overhead? I think it should fit, but it would depend on how much luggage is already there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some items are exempt from (and thus allowed in addition to) the 2 item carry-on limit. A few of these include:

• Purses
  • Coats and Sweaters
  • Strollers
  • Car seats
  • Diaper bags
  • Medication
  • Etc...
So the answer is yes you'll have no problem.

We took a stroller with on a multi-leg trip when my daughter was younger and had no problems at all- usually just stowed it downstairs on the Superliners or at the end of the coach for the single level trains. It actually worked out quite well because before/after/transferring between trains I unfolded it and used it as a lugagge cart!

We took a stroller with on a multi-leg trip when my daughter was younger and had no problems at all- usually just stowed it downstairs on the Superliners or at the end of the coach for the single level trains. It actually worked out quite well because before/after/transferring between trains I unfolded it and used it as a lugagge cart!
And they're great at the mall too if you're doing a lot of shopping. :D

Hmm? Maybe I should buy a stroller for my grandson (who lives across the country) and use it at the mall and if anyone asks, I'll just say the baby/child is with his mother (which would be true). :giggle:

Hmm? Maybe I should buy a stroller for my grandson (who lives across the country) and use it at the mall and if anyone asks, I'll just say the baby/child is with his mother (which would be true). :giggle:
Aren't there collapsible steel utility carts for that purpose? Of course the difficulty is that there's a stigma that people who use them are "old fogies". ;)

5aee430e-7332-435b-94df-e1da366ab2ef_300.jpg

Some items are exempt from (and thus allowed in addition to) the 2 item carry-on limit. A few of these include:
  • Purses
  • Coats and Sweaters
  • Strollers
  • Car seats
  • Diaper bags
  • Medication
  • Etc...
So the answer is yes you'll have no problem.
I'm thinking I'll have no problem. However, reading the rules, diaper bags and strollers are exempt only if they're for infants (under two years). Even so with two ticketed passengers we're under the limit on items (if we count the diaper bag and stroller as two carry-on items), but the stroller is bulky and way longer than published size limits. My reading of the rules on "infant items" is that they're not simply exempt from the carry-on item limits but from the size limits. I think most conductors will be reasonable, but I'd hate to run into one who decides it's the right time to go exactly by the book.

Aren't there collapsible steel utility carts for that purpose? Of course the difficulty is that there's a stigma that people who use them are "old fogies". ;)

5aee430e-7332-435b-94df-e1da366ab2ef_300.jpg
Yeah, I've had those too. I think the stroller might hold more...maybe get one for twins??? :D

Could you use an umbrella stroller instead? It would be a lot easier to deal with when it comes to folding/carrying/stowing.

Could you use an umbrella stroller instead? It would be a lot easier to deal with when it comes to folding/carrying/stowing.
We have a cheap umbrella stroller. So cheap that the seams that fix the fabric to the frame are ripping. It would definitely be easier to place in an overhead bin, but it's still over 3' long once folded. It doesn't have a storage space and it's not terribly useful for handing a diaper bag (it's flipped before).

I guess my issue isn't more about how I'm going to haul this thing on Caltrain for part of the ride home. I've seen people with monster bags on Caltrain going to San Francisco Airport. It's going to be on the weekend, so I'm thinking they're not going to go crazy. Maybe just stash it in the bike car.

We have a cheap umbrella stroller. ... It would definitely be easier to place in an overhead bin, but it's still over 3' long once folded.
My walking stick is over 5 feet long, and I have no problem storing it there.

I tried to post a picture, but the forum wouldn't allow...But on our jaunt on the Pennsylvanian, there was a student on the train with a cello in a hard case in the overhead bin...That;s bigger than any stroller! CJ

I figured that getting it in the overhead should be easy enough since the Superliner coach cars have open overhead bins and each segment is about 5 feet long. Some Amtrak California cars have aircraft style overhead bins that latch closed, and I'm pretty sure that a stroller won't fit. I'd still worry that on a crowded car (not likely, but for the sake of argument) there might not be anyone willing to move their luggage if there isn't the space for a 4 foot long folded up stroller. I know of people who "want my own space" which may even extend to their luggage.

I'm expecting that the conductor is going to try and be helpful, but you never know when you come across someone surly or even someone new who insists on doing everything by the book.

This is easy to say but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are going two stops and most of the time I haven't seem them stop anyone. Including the man next to me with a big boom box and large trash bags of stuff he brought up with him to his seat! Between SNS where he got on and SJC he had 6 beers too. I've seen crazy things so I'd hope they would allow a stroller on board!

Most of the regular Asst. conductors (as you will be in coach) would be understanding. Could be someone off the Extra Board but most of the regulars are nice, especially towards kids. I ride the CS a few times a month and haven't ever seen a luggage issue with strollers or diaper bags. Or even oversize bags for that matter!

Caltrain... You could always sit on the upper level and sit it on the luggage space above the aisle way in the luggage car? Assume you will be in a Gallery car unless you are taking the Weekend Baby Bullet. That uses the bombardier cars.

And recently the CS has been pretty empty. Last trip north last week I had an entire half a car to myself for the greater part of the journey. :)

This is easy to say but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are going two stops and most of the time I haven't seem them stop anyone. Including the man next to me with a big boom box and large trash bags of stuff he brought up with him to his seat! Between SNS where he got on and SJC he had 6 beers too. I've seen crazy things so I'd hope they would allow a stroller on board!
Most of the regular Asst. conductors (as you will be in coach) would be understanding. Could be someone off the Extra Board but most of the regulars are nice, especially towards kids. I ride the CS a few times a month and haven't ever seen a luggage issue with strollers or diaper bags. Or even oversize bags for that matter!

Caltrain... You could always sit on the upper level and sit it on the luggage space above the aisle way in the luggage car? Assume you will be in a Gallery car unless you are taking the Weekend Baby Bullet. That uses the bombardier cars.

And recently the CS has been pretty empty. Last trip north last week I had an entire half a car to myself for the greater part of the journey. :)
The Bombardier BiLevels that Caltrain has have overhead bins above the seats on the upper level. The Nippon Sharyo Gallery cars have the center bins. However, I like sitting downstairs in the Nippon Sharyos. The upper level of the Nippon Sharyos are single width, although there are a few face to face ones (and those are popular with the seat hogs during commute hours). The bottom levels of the Nippon Sharyos have cupholders, which are really nice for holding a bottle or can of beer (legal on Caltrain). I do like the upper level of the BiLevels where they have tables.

So I finally did it over the weekend. As soon as I got on the lead attendant said I could just stash the stroller next to the door. Later on I couldn't find it, but then noticed that he'd placed it inside behind a lower-level seat. It wasn't a problem after all.

I actually took Caltrain back home with my kid sleeping. Wasn't sure what to do, and the Baby Bullet train was right there with a relatively short height difference between the platform and the floor. So I just hiked up the stroller and parked it in a wheelchair area. Later I was talked to the conductor, and he said theoretically I was supposed to fold it up before boarding, but it wasn't a big deal on a Sunday since he doubted any wheelchair passengers would be boarding. I also cracked open my beer right in front of him. When I asked, he said that Caltrain has the most liberal alcohol policy he knows of. I don't know if this was wrong, but I used the stroller's cupholders while my kid was napping.

Glad it all worked out! You got off at a good stop because the ride only got more interesting from there people raided the Cafe car to have their little Superbowl Party in the SSL until it sold out of Beer by SLO! :)

And Caltrain does have very liberal policies in terms of Food and Beverages consumed on board. I once made the mistake of taking a train to Palo Alto on a Wednesday afternoon right after a Giants Game let out. That was a very fun train... though seeing the mix of those getting their post-game drink on intertwinded with those commuters heading home for the evening... it was quite the interesting party! Standing room only packed in like sardines of course :)

Glad it all worked out! You got off at a good stop because the ride only got more interesting from there people raided the Cafe car to have their little Superbowl Party in the SSL until it sold out of Beer by SLO! :)
For anyone wondering if he's talking in code or something, roadman was actually seated right in front of us on the CS. He heard me say something about my kid's stroller and figured who it was. There was an announcement (while we were stopped for a freight train) about something "valuable" that was left in a bathroom, and I wasn't sure if maybe someone had moved the stroller in the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back