Stuff to do in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelhoguy

Service Attendant
We are riding Amtrak from NOL to CBS on January 2nd, 3rd. We are expecting a 5 hour lay over (9am to 2pm) while we wait for the #27 EB, Any suggestion as what to do or eat that would not involve a taxi.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Tom

My daughter & I went to the SkyDeck in the Sears/Willis Tower when we had a layover. It's right across the river from the station. When you come out of the station (I think we came out the Jackson St exit) look up and you'll see the 4 SkyDecks sticking out of the 103rd floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not matter, I see that the City of New Orleans is over 2 hours late today, that would not leave much time to walk to the Sears tower and back. Is the City of New Orleans general that late?

I've done a very similar lay-over, and pushing the envelope a touch more, went and had a nice deep dish pizza at Gino's East during the layover. Just day-checked my bags at the Metro lounge, nabbed a cab, had lunch, cabbed it back, and had time to spare before boarding #5 to Sacramento. Tasty!!

I've done a very similar lay-over, and pushing the envelope a touch more, went and had a nice deep dish pizza at Gino's East during the layover. Just day-checked my bags at the Metro lounge, nabbed a cab, had lunch, cabbed it back, and had time to spare before boarding #5 to Sacramento. Tasty!!

Tasty indeed, but must have two hours at least since it takes a full hour to cook one of their deep dish pizzas and you have to time it right to make sure you are not standing in line to get in. I really enjoyed the pizza at Gino's East, but being from the east, I had no idea how long it took.

I would head straight away to Sears Tower (and having grown up there and watched it built, I refuse to call it Willis)as with kids out of school you may have a bit of a line to get to the Skydeck. But that early it may not be too crowded. Allow a couple hours for that, then walk back 1 block west of the Station for a nice late Breakfast/Lunch at Lou Mitchell's. That is a CLASSIC vintage diner often considered the starting point of Route 66.

I would head straight away to Sears Tower (and having grown up there and watched it built, I refuse to call it Willis)as with kids out of school you may have a bit of a line to get to the Skydeck. But that early it may not be too crowded. Allow a couple hours for that, then walk back 1 block west of the Station for a nice late Breakfast/Lunch at Lou Mitchell's. That is a CLASSIC vintage diner often considered the starting point of Route 66.
I second all of this (if you have time). Your kids will have a great time at the Sears Tower, and Lou Mitchell's is fabulous.

My only concern with the Sears Tower is visibility. It can get pretty cloudy/foggy this time of year, so you might not be able to see quite as far. They usually post signs, though. They'll say something like: "Visibility = 1/2 mile" The people selling tickets usually give you a heads-up too. I've had fun even with poor visibility, though, since you're (literally) up in the clouds. :)

We will definitely have to hit Lou Mitchell's. I have heard of this place before, and looking the map I see that it is all within easy walking distance. My wife says she will not be walking out on the SkyDeck, but it all sounds fun to her too. Thanks for all of your help.

Tom

We will definitely have to hit Lou Mitchell's. I have heard of this place before, and looking the map I see that it is all within easy walking distance. My wife says she will not be walking out on the SkyDeck, but it all sounds fun to her too. Thanks for all of your help.

Tom
I love heights, but even I'm a bit squeamish at the idea of that thing. :eek:hboy: I'd probably give it a try, but oh man... not for long. I hear about kids getting in there and jumping on it. Oh, HECK no...

We are riding Amtrak from NOL to CBS on January 2nd, 3rd. We are expecting a 5 hour lay over (9am to 2pm) while we wait for the #27 EB, Any suggestion as what to do or eat that would not involve a taxi.

Tom
I will be on the same train as you in a roomette (car 5800). I will be boarding one stop out of New Orleans in Hammond, LA. Just look for the guy wearing the shirt that says "Great Canadian Rail Adventure" on the front.

It may not matter, I see that the City of New Orleans is over 2 hours late today, that would not leave much time to walk to the Sears tower and back. Is the City of New Orleans general that late?
The City of New Orleans is almost never that late. Most of the time it arrives into Chicago within about 30 minutes of the scheduled 9:00am arrival, and it even arrives early a good portion of the time! In the past 29 days, with the exception of today, the CONO has arrived into CHI early 11 days and by 9:40am on the other 17 days. The latest of those arrived at 9:38am with all the others arriving before 9:20. The earliest train I have recorded was 8:38am, 22 minutes early, on 11/24, 12/1, and 12/19.

I stepped out slowly to give my brain the opportunity to realize that there was a floor under my feet & I was fine. I don't have a fear of heights but wanted to make sure my body wouldn't react negatively.

Stepping out in Chicago. :D

photo.jpg

The Chicgo Art Institute is an easy walk from the station. Also gets you close to the shore of Lake Michigan. Might be a little chilly, was 4 degrees when I did it a few years ago in early January.

Gold Coast Dogs in the station's food court is great for a chicago dog or italian beef sammy.

I stepped out slowly to give my brain the opportunity to realize that there was a floor under my feet & I was fine. I don't have a fear of heights but wanted to make sure my body wouldn't react negatively.
I'm sure I'll do it, but I am not jumping up and down. ;)

I'll be sure to ask someone to take a picture. (Boyfriend is deathly afraid of heights and refuses to go above the 8th floor in any building.)

The Chicgo Art Institute is an easy walk from the station. Also gets you close to the shore of Lake Michigan. Might be a little chilly, was 4 degrees when I did it a few years ago in early January.

Gold Coast Dogs in the station's food court is great for a chicago dog or italian beef sammy.
IF you have the time and don't mind the cold I'd second this. Not to mention Millenium and Grant parks are on either side of the art institute. It's only about a mile walk.

I just did an overnight in Chicago going and an 8 hour layover coming back between the City of New Orleans and the Cardinal a week ago. I was on the CONO that someone mentioned above that arrived at 9:38am, and as he said, it is hardly ever even that late. I definitely agree with everyone else, don't miss the Sears/Willis Tower! I did it on the way, so it was after I got off the Cardinal, which means I arrived at the tower about 10:30am. There was a line, but it probably only took me 20 minutes from the time I walked through the front doors until I was on the 103rd floor though. It actually seemed that as I was leaving the crowd had tripled, so all the advice I'd read about getting there before 11am seemed to be very accurate.

Before catching the Cardinal home I also did dinner at Giordano's (just a little ways on down Jackson Blvd from the Sears Tower, on the opposite side.) I didn't do the pizza, even though it is legendary (just ask anyone on here!) but I did have the spaghetti and it was wonderful.

If you decide against the tower, the Art Institute really is incredible too. If you wanted to do a short ride on the "L" just to experience it, you could ride it from the Quincy/Wells stop around to Adams/Wabash or Madison/Wabash to go to the Art Institute or Millenium Park without walking, although the walk is not that far at all down either Adams or Jackson from Union Station. Also, don't miss walking over to the Great Hall at Union Station, they were decorating it for Christmas the first day I was there and it's gorgeous (would be anytime, for that matter!)

Here are my Skydeck pics:

100_4694.JPG

100_4693.JPG

100_4691.JPG

Pizzeria Uno is hard to beat on a cold afternoon. It's a 25 minute walk from the station, but a nice walk along the river in downtown. Feels good to get out and move around after sitting on the train. It can take about 30 to 35 mins to get your pizza there - homemade stuff takes longer.. But it's worth the wait... and that will give you time to rest up for the walk back. It's not fast food...

BTW - It's about a 5 min cab ride...

Uno Chicago Grill

29 Ohio Street

Chicago, IL 60611

312-321-1000

Est. 1943

Tom
You have asked for ideas that don't involve taxis. Either for time or weather considerations, taking a taxi to any number of destinations not far from CUS at a modest fare gives you may other options for site seeing or restaurants.

Wow, I think we will have to plan a longer layover to do all of the stuff suggested. Our next planned trip to SAV will have more layover time. For now I think we will stick with the Sears Tower (it will always be the Sears Tower) and Lou Mitchell's. Thank you again for all of the wonderful suggestions.

If you don't think you'll have time to make Gino's East, a very tasy slice of the real-deal deep dish pizza is diagonally across from Union Station. The staff in the station steered us to Beggar's Pizza, just a few steps away. Ask anyone- they all know where it is. It was a highlight last year, and it'll be one next time too. Luscious bright red meat sauce, and you can smell the garlic before you even see the place. one mistake we won't make next time: each of us getting our own slice. We were stuffed afterward. And then we had to haul luggage to our trainon over-full stomachs. Nosir, one of Beggar's slices split between me and my bride, and that'll be more than enough.

There is a great pizza place that is about 150 feet from the southwest corner exit from the Great Hall of CUS. It is om the west side of Clinton St. just south of Jackson. Beggars Pizza, Great Pizza of all styles, deep dish, stuffed, and thin crust and best of all COLD BEER! It even has a railroad motif (not great but it is still railroad). Check out their web site and see what all they offer besides the BEST Pizza in Chicago.

http://www.beggarspizza.com/

As a point of information Giordano's was sold in a recent foreclosure sale but still operates

I prefer the thin crust, it even has a 20-30 minute wait and the others longer 40-50 minutes. If you call ahead they will start your pizza and you can have it when you walk in. I enjoy the time waiting while drinking a favorite beverage!

Al aka Oldtimer

PS anyone that has met me knows that I know my food.

PPS I am not getting any commission on my recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back