Stupidest lie you've ever heard from an amtrak employee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sca in the 2120 car on today's 21 takes the prize IMHO. After 20 minutes of slow running between Alton and stl he gets on the PA and explains that the slow running is due to heat restrictions. Going to fast will set the grass along the tracks on fire. It's been raining off and on all day. So this is pretty ridiculous.

Heat restrictions and rails buckling I get. He should have just said that.

"Were out of the Steak, just served the last one!"

Food Service Attendant on the Texas Eagle #21 during the First Dinner Setting between Chicago and St. Louis in a half full CCC!

After leaving St Louis( Last Call for Dinner) OBS were observed eating Steaks in the CCC!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Were out of the Steak, just served the last one!"

Food Service Attendant on the Texas Eagle #21 during the First Dinner Setting between Chicago and St. Louis in a half full CCC!

After leaving St Louis( Last Call for Dinner) OBS were observed eating Steaks in the CCC!!!!
Along the same lines I asked for a diet Pepsi on the EB between Spokane and Seattle only to be told they were all out. Except a woman in line behind me got a diet Pepsi with no trouble.

Back when conductors were supposed to sell upgrades. "Oh no, the sleepers are full now. Ask me again after (insert crew change station)."

In the Pacific Parour Car during the Wine/Cheese Tasting:

"You don't drink wine?"

"No."

"Then you can't taste the cheese".

"Really? Just pour the wine in my glass and my wife will drink it for me. I just want to sample the cheese".

"No wine, no cheese. This is wine AND cheese tasting event".

This really happened to a guy on one of my CS trips.

Back when conductors were supposed to sell upgrades. "Oh no, the sleepers are full now. Ask me again after (insert crew change station)."
^ Same here. Multiple attempts. Website would show plenty of rooms on mobile phone. SCA would confirm. Impossible to upgrade regardless of the actual facts. I've also faced flat-out lies about when I could use a voucher, when I could use a coupon, which tickets could be changed and how, and details relating to getting money back. Amtrak lies have cost me hundreds of dollars over the years.

In the Pacific Parour Car during the Wine/Cheese Tasting:

"You don't drink wine?"

"No."

"Then you can't taste the cheese".

"Really? Just pour the wine in my glass and my wife will drink it for me. I just want to sample the cheese".

"No wine, no cheese. This is wine AND cheese tasting event".

This really happened to a guy on one of my CS trips.
Not so sure that's a lie or just a very stupid rule.

I had one guy tell me that I should go to Amtrak Unlimited website to get sensible and rational replies to my train travel questions... What a joke!

Ed :cool:

While we have encountered many good SCA's and FSA's in our travels, every once in a while you get a bad apple with an attitude. Amtrak should do everything possible to weed out the garbage.

Amtrak employees are well protected by their unions. I am a union guy myself but think this kind of protection of bad apples is harmful to everybody.

No, bad Amtrak employees are protected by lazy, hands off Management who don't bother to document and deep-six bad workers. The good hard working employees want the lazy ones canned too. The good employees have to work harder and get tipped less because of the bad ones, mind you.

No, bad Amtrak employees are protected by lazy, hands off Management who don't bother to document and deep-six bad workers. The good hard working employees want the lazy ones canned too. The good employees have to work harder and get tipped less because of the bad ones, mind you.
This is very true. I experienced the same situation in schools. The good teachers want the bad ones' out. They destroy the professionalism of teaching just as bad SCA's destroy Amtrak's reputation. We, too, have had many good and great SCA's, but the bad ones unfortunately are the ones that people seem to remember. :(

Have to agree with the last two opinion's.

One thing that makes me wonder though, is how much easier it would be, to improve the recruitment process, rather than later having to get rid of the bad employee's.

I believe that getting a job at Amtrak, is a highly coveted position, and draws a vast pool of applicant's to choose from. If Amtrak would use a better selection process, they should be able to come up with more ideal candidates. And perhaps in their next negotiation with the union's, they could extend the probabtion period for new hires, to get a better chance to weed out those that somehow 'slipped thru' the initial selection......

The working condition's for OBS may be less than ideal for many, but irregardless, if Amtrak ran a "want-ad" for those position's, I believe they'd be lined up "around-the-block" to apply....

Seniority systems make it hard to get rid of the worst, if the worst have managed to coast below the radar for a while. They're pernicious.

this is from 1981 or 1982 when my parent took me on an Amtrak train from Washington, DC to Florida.

the sleeping car attendant: "those are not cockroaches... they are just big flies that crawl around"

YES, they were cockroaches... almost a dozen of them, crawling around the corner of our bedroom.

that was 30+ years ago... as of today, I still have not been in a bedroom on any Amtrak train. :(

I think the shock of seeing so many cockroaches scarred me for life. those words of the attendant

are still crystal clear in my mind as of today.

(in case you haven't guessed, I am afraid of cockroaches... even before seeing them on Amtrak)

If you don't like Cockroaches, don't go there. They have the largest cockroaches. And I'm not just talking about Jeb Bush. Palmetto bugs, or B52s in local parlance, are terrifying.

I always love when people complain about unions, but grew up with strong unions protecting workers and jobs. Want to know about what life was like pre-unions? Triangle Shirt Factory fire. How many hundreds died because management could do whatever they wanted? When was the last time someone worked more than 40 hours a week? , didnt got vacation or sick days? medical insurance? Thank unions for all that. Do you think management gave those things out of the goodness of their heart?

Employers and employees will never be on equal terms, so I rather the pendulum be swinging on the employee than employer side.

How is this for a scenario?? I am a supervisor over a assembly line. Business is slow, so I have to let one worker go. Worker #1 just has been working for me for a year, wage and benefits cost me $25k a year. Worker #2 worked for me for 10 years, earns $50k a year. Well, you know what? I just don't get along with worker #2, haven't for years. He is a good worker, never had a issue with his work, but we just dont get along. So even though worker #2 has 10 years experience, I am going to make my life better and get rid of him, saving my company twice the money. Is that fair? Nope, but without a union contract protecting seniority, basing layoffs of last hired first fired, you will have management doing what is not fair in their favor.

If you are having someone build your house, would you rather have the Forman get someone off the street, give him a hammer and tell him, go build a house? Or get a professional who went through a apprenticeship in a union hall before being given a hammer?

Now watch everyone tell me their favorite horror story of a union protecting this or that person. In all union contracts there are strict rules how management can discipline a worker, including termination.

I am sure anyone who considers themselves management reading this tread, rather pay a worker 40 hours pay for 60+ hours work with no benefits.

Bruce-SSR

Last time people were on salary. They dislike unions because they are jealous of them and wish they could have that protection.

As a small business owner with employees, I resent your comment and demand an apology. My workers work 42 hour weeks with overtime for those two hours and benefits. Happy workers are good workers, and three good workers are more productive than 6 unhappy workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like Cockroaches, don't go there. They have the largest cockroaches. And I'm not just talking about Jeb Bush. Palmetto bugs, or B52s in local parlance, are terrifying.
'

wait... you are saying that Amtrak sleeping cars still have cockroaches today? I sure hope they didn't descend from the ones that I saw back in 1981. :( I know most Amtrak coach cars from those years are still in use today... what about sleeping cars? :(

'
wait... you are saying that Amtrak sleeping cars still have cockroaches today? I sure hope they didn't descend from the ones that I saw back in 1981. :( I know most Amtrak coach cars from those years are still in use today... what about sleeping cars? :(
I think he meant the south - since you were headed to FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back