SUbsidy for Roads

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
According a report from SubsidyScope User Fees and Gas Tax cover only 51% of the net cost of raods. So the level of subsidy is 49% of the total cost. It is a good read and lot of good source information and statistics. You can even get a state by state breakdown, and some of the numbers are revealing, nay eye-popping!

You can find the report which has further references to the sources, at: http://subsidyscope.org/transportation/highways/funding/state/

The decline doesn't shock me...spending on roads isn't getting cut, but:

A) Average MPG numbers do seem to be on the way up;

B) Miles driven took a big hit; and

C) A lot of shippers switched to rail/intermodal shipping from highway shipping.

Of course, I think there's a bit of fuzzy math going on:

1) Most studies that we kick around refer strictly to the interstate highway system, while this covers all roads.

2) Bonds are sort of a "no-man's land": If they're basically borrowing against user fee-type revenues (tolls, for example, are often set up to pay off a bond issue), then I'd put them in with user fees. If they're against "general fund" revenues, then they go with non-user fees.

3) I'm not sure how non-gas tax vehicle taxes are counted. For example, Virginia has a "car tax"...but in a wonderful case of sleight of hand, 80% of that was cut back in the 1990s...so technically, I believe that the state is "paying" 4/5 of the car tax out of the general fund (they were going to eliminate it, but then the economy went off the rails in 2001...while the state government spent the intervening years of the boom letting spending get out of hand, so the rest of that plan went out the window).

The Federal Transportation Budget for "Planning Year 2010" allocated 60% of the $73.2 billion budget to the

Fedearl Highway Authority, 16% to the Federal Aviation Authority and 2% to Amtrak. Since Nancy Pelosi's

House did not prepare a budget for fiscal 2010, the only figures available were the Planning Budget.

The remaining 22% of the budget went to Administrative Overheads.

The Federal Transportation Budget for "Planning Year 2010" allocated 60% of the $73.2 billion budget to the

Fedearl Highway Authority, 16% to the Federal Aviation Authority and 2% to Amtrak. Since Nancy Pelosi's

House did not prepare a budget for fiscal 2010, the only figures available were the Planning Budget.

The remaining 22% of the budget went to Administrative Overheads.
You really hate the Dems don't you? ;) Did the Repubs play a role in the budgeting issue in the House too perhaps, or is that too inconvenient to remember and does not fit ones world view? :p

Ryan, you are correct. I was referring to the FiscalYear 2011 budget which was passed by Congress on April 14, 2011.

Back