Sunset East Report Should be Coming Soon?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Ben_*

Amtrak is mandated to send a report by July 16 to Congress, correct? Any word as to what's in the report?

Hopefully the 115 year old route can pull through. I don't know why the Sunset had to end being on the wrong side of the tracks.

This subject has been discussed way too much. There's nothing to discuss until the report is made public. You can be sure Congress member Brown who was instumental in getting the study done will be making sure it is done. Even then it will be a study and Congress will need to mandate implementation.

Well guys today is the moment of truth and we will see what happens.

Needless to say I'll be curious as to what the verdict is. :)
As I understand it, there will be no verdict, simply a report that spells out all the factors that would go into all choices. It is up to Congress to analyze the report and then decide which option is best and most feasible financially.

As I understand it, there will be no verdict, simply a report that spells out all the factors that would go into all choices. It is up to Congress to analyze the report and then decide which option is best and most feasible financially.
Well, once the report is out, Congress needs to jump on it and finally put this situation right.

This past week I had to drive from Daytona Beach to the Florida panhandle & southern Alabama and back. It was NOT fun. Next time I have to make that trip there better be a train involved!

Well, once the report is out, Congress needs to jump on it and finally put this situation right.

This past week I had to drive from Daytona Beach to the Florida panhandle & southern Alabama and back. It was NOT fun. Next time I have to make that trip there better be a train involved!
I agree with you, but when does Congress jump on anything, unless the public perceives a major threat or crisis?

I agree with you, but when does Congress jump on anything, unless the public perceives a major threat or crisis?
Sunset East report is out; haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here is the link:

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/PRIAA/GulfCoastS...ePlanReport.pdf

I am still reading thru the report, but this doesn't make sense to me:

Projected additional passenger miles on the Amtrak route system (on both the restored service and other routes with which it would connect) for each train mile

operated are:

• 228.3 passenger miles for Option 1;

• 125.9 passenger miles for Option 2; and

• 80.5 passenger miles for Option 3.
How does NOL-JAX, NOL-JAX and NOL-JAX (the miles not currently on the Amtrak route system) have different mileages? :huh: I could understand 1 be like 26 miles and 1 be like 27 miles - but 3 ranging from 80 to 228? :huh:

Projected additional passenger miles on the Amtrak route system (on both the restored service and other routes with which it would connect) for each train mile

operated are:

How does NOL-JAX, NOL-JAX and NOL-JAX (the miles not currently on the Amtrak route system) have different mileages? :huh: I could understand 1 be like 26 miles and 1 be like 27 miles - but 3 ranging from 80 to 228? :huh:
It is not talking about just that route. It is projecting additional passenger miles throughout the whole system based on the addition of each option. They are not talking distances of a route at all.

operated are:

I believe a passenger mile is one passenger riding one mile, thus passengers on a restored LA-Orlando would each ride a longer distance that passengers on the short haul NO-Orlando train.

Why are options 2 and 3 daily but option 1 of bringing back the Sunset tri-weekly?

Why are options 2 and 3 daily but option 1 of bringing back the Sunset tri-weekly?
There aren't enough cars in the Superliner fleet to extend the CONO that far. You'd need to add at least one more consist.

There also are no Veiwliners, period, which would be used for a stand-alone overnight train, or for that matter, AFIIs...

After reading the report, I bet they go with Option 2, extending the CONO to Florida.
I like that one too it fills the gap of Midwest to FL service.

I would require according to the report 2 more consist. Where the get the Cars would be anyone guess.
The Superliner wrecks I'd imagine... Unless they made the CONO a Viewliner train when they get the Viewliner IIs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back