Sunset into NOL...early!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Train #2 Eastbound Sunset Limited arrived New Orleans at 8:21pm this evening. Nine minutes AHEAD of schedule. This has to be the first time in at least six months that #2 has arrived on time (let alone early!) into NOL. Let's hope #2 can keep up the good running all the way to ORL. Quite an accomplishment!

Holidays. Little to no freight traffic.

Two years ago, I rode the Sunset from Orlando to New Orleans. We were delayed over 2 hours in Jacksonville due to a bomb scare at the CSX dispatching office. Since it was the week before new year's, there was practically no freight traffic. We made up the entire delay, and got into NOL a half hour early.

That said, it's still nice to know that the Sunset has a chance to get its first on-time arrival of the fiscal year tomorrow.

Just a few years ago I had the pleasure of riding the Sunset into New Orleans from LA about 40 minutes early.

This was before the problem had gotten so out of hand, though the delays were beginning to happen. I felt very fortunate. It was a delghtful trip.

Of course, more recently, about 4 years ago, I guess, I rode it from NOL to LA and it arrived characteristically eight hours late. I could not believe what good actors the crew members were---they acted like it was most unusual. They were polite and helpful, I just mean they gave no clue whatsoever that this nonsense happens more or less every day.

Back