Sunset Limited baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Question for a new friend taking the train from NO to LA, her first time and I told her to get a sleeper but she waited and said when she went to purchase her ticket a few months later the price was too much for her, Now she says she is in coach,alone,and thr agent told her she would have to keep her baggage with her because there is no where to put her baggage except overhead, Is this so. Plus she told her get there early because to get a seat,it's first come ,first served. I have never taken this route but,now I'm kinda wondering do I want to.Also she was going to get off ion Ontario,Ca. but was told it was unmanned and it would stop there at 3 in the morning so she is going on into LA. Help me help her. Anyone did this route, tell me good and bad. Thanks

If she is going from NOL to LAX, she does have the option of checking her luggage, as both stations offer checked baggage service. However, her bag(s) will not be accessible during the trip.

She also can hand carry her bags aboard and place them in the overhead luggage rack. (How an agent knows months in advance that there will be no room, I can't figure out. I've never saw them even close to being full!) Also, as on all Superliners, she could put her bag(s) in the luggage rack on the lower level.

Yep. The Sunset Limited uses Superliner Coach cars and there are 3 racks (floor, middle shelf, upper shelf) on the lower level where passengers put their baggage.

Plus there is overhead storage above the seats big enough to put a bag as big as Amtrak allows without an oversize charge.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565003

I put my main bag on the lower level luggage rack and carry my smaller personal bags upstairs to the upper level.

When your friend boards there are 2 ways they handle seating:

1. With NOL being the starting point of the route the conductor will give her a strip of stiff paper that has her destination station code (LAX) written on it and she will be allowed to sit anywhere. (Note: the lower level seating is usually for those that have mobility issues.) That slip gets slid with destination code showing under the metal strip above the seat on the lower part of the overhead storage.

2. The slip (with destination code) she is handed will have a seat number on it too. She is assigned to that seat.

To make it easier for the on board staff to make sure passengers get off the train when they're supposed to they usually seat people going to the same destination in the same area of a coach car.

Last edited by a moderator:
During boarding in NOLA, there are two lines at the Gate, Sleeping Car passengers board first and then Coach. It's first come, first served in line.They usually check your ID's along with your ticket and LE will be at the door with the Conductor and Agents.

Luggage is checked at the Amtrak counter with the agentsat least 45 minutes in advance.

Seating for Coach passengers is in the main hall by the Gate, Sleeping Car pax can use the Magnolia Room. ( there are No Magnolias!)If boarding assistance is required, the,Agents have carts that can take you to/from the Train.

Tell your friend to try to snag a Window Seat in the Middle of the Car away from the Stairs and the end doors on the Car.

Also about the switching in San Antonio when the through Cars from the Eagle are added to the end of the Train.

Major "Fresh Air/Smoke Stops" are Houston,San Antonio,Alpine, El Paso (get a Green Chili Burrito from the Lady by the Station),and Tucson.

When I rode the Sunset in Nov. they had Seatside Special Meals from the Diner served by the Coach Attendant for $10 that passengers told me were very good!( I was in a Sleeper)O course taking a Travel Pillow,Light Blanket and Snacks/Beverages is a good idea since Train Fare is Pricey and Choices are Limited.Breakfast in the Diner is the Best meal for the money ( there's only one served around,Del Rio).

Have your friend read the First Time Rider Forum here on AU and the many Trip Reports on this Route also.

During boarding in NOLA, there are two lines at the Gate, Sleeping Car passengers board first and then Coach. It's first come, first served in line.They usually check your ID's along with your ticket and LE will be at the door with the Conductor and Agents.
Is that real law enforcement or a rent-a-cop? I thought that the last time we boarded for El Paso from NOL(2 years ago), it was neither Amtrak Police nor local law enforcement but simply a hired "I'm important and I want you to know it" private cop.

Thanks to you all. I will let her know and tell her to read First Time rider forum.She is kinda nervous, but I assured her she would be ok, don't know if I would have chosen my first trip to be alone and this long, especially without a sleeper.

I believe it is NOPD. They even have a permanent desk/station there (or at least did the last time I was there).
Worse than a rent-a-cop. (I have a very low opinion of NOPD.)

She should only hand-carry just the stuff she will need for the trip. The rest should go in her checked bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she is going from NOL to LAX, she does have the option of checking her luggage, as both stations offer checked baggage service. However, her bag(s) will not be accessible during the trip.

She also can hand carry her bags aboard and place them in the overhead luggage rack. (How an agent knows months in advance that there will be no room, I can't figure out. I've never saw them even close to being full!) Also, as on all Superliners, she could put her bag(s) in the luggage rack on the lower level.
The agent said she would have to keep her checked baggage with her because...*drum roll* initially she was traveling to Ontario, an unstaffed station (which so the original poster knows, unstaffed stations have no checked baggage service). Now that she has decided to travel to LA, she will have no problem having the baggage checked.

Back