Sunset Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This route deserves daily service and a routing through Phoenix. Yes, it has been talked to death, but I do not see it coming any closer to reality. Also, back in the 1980's, the Southern Pacific looks at electrifying the El Pasto-Los Angeles. Too bad that never happened.

I was looking to book the Sunset from New Orleans to Los Angeles on Monday 12/27 and Wednesday 12/27. The AMTRAK web site has the train listed as Canceled. Anyone know why?
The host railroad (Metrolink) has closed LA Union Station on that day for signal upgrades. Amtrak has no choice but to terminate the train early. However, Train 1 leaving New Orleans on the 27th IS RUNNING, but only as far as Ontario. Then you have to take a shuttle bus the rest of the way to LA. You can book this on the Amtrak site. I’ll add the itinerary for you below
5A48C229-FBA8-4FF3-B614-AED9A2F203A6.png

I read a post the other say about the early arrival of SL in Los Angeles but cant find it now to reply. so I hope somebody can enlighten me please. Here in the UK most overnight trains are timed to arrive around 07:00 - 08:00 with passengers having to detrain by 08:00. A few arrivals before 07:00 allow passengers to remain in their berths until 08:00. Nowhere would passengers be forced off on arrival at 05:30 so why do Amtrak. Is there a problem at Los Angeles that a few sleep cars cant be left in a platform until a more social time? I would have thought that a train of that distance and time could be scheduled to arrive at a more social time although I understand the pressures on line capacity, single line track might make that problematic. Having said this I hope to visit later this year and will be riding the Texas Eagle, Sunset Ltd, City of New Orleans and California Zephyr. Such wonderful names cannot be ignored.

You are correct, of course. Neither the "Night Riviera" nor the "Calidonian Sleeper" is going to throw you off at a "godly" hour. Blame Amtrak, the Union Pacific and just plain "the passenger comes last".

A few arrivals before 07:00 allow passengers to remain in their berths until 08:00. Nowhere would passengers be forced off on arrival at 05:30 so why do Amtrak.
When the schedule was first changed sleeper passengers were allowed to remain on board. But SCA's wanted to go home and management did not want to pay them more to stay so both sides decided it's just easier to kick passengers off like a nuisance.

Is there a problem at Los Angeles that a few sleep cars cant be left in a platform until a more social time?
It did not seem to be a problem in the past but every time you give something up it can become harder to get it back again.

I would have thought that a train of that distance and time could be scheduled to arrive at a more social time although I understand the pressures on line capacity, single line track might make that problematic.
The SL absolutely can arrive at a more practical time, as was done previously. Just like almost every long distance problem Amtrak has today, it used to be better and now it's worse, and nobody in charge seems to know or care what the customer experience is actually like.

When the schedule was first changed sleeper passengers were allowed to remain on board. But SCA's wanted to go home and management did not want to pay them more to stay so both sides decided it's just easier to kick passengers off like a nuisance.

It did not seem to be a problem in the past but every time you give something up it can become harder to get it back again.

The SL absolutely can arrive at a more practical time, as was done previously. Just like almost every long distance problem Amtrak has today, it used to be better and now it's worse, and nobody in charge seems to know or care what the customer experience is actually like.
Devil's Advocate has nailed this question.

As far as the unGodly hour of arrival of the Sunset and being ejected from the train at that hour, you can appeal to logic, decency and morality all you want but this is Amtrak and those appeals will fall on deaf (maybe even death) ears.

I’m going to be traveling on #2 out of LA on March 17th. It seems that the departure time was moved from 10 PM to 7 PM—which isn’t really a problem for me, but does anyone know what the deal is with that?

Also, does anyone know whether the dining car will be open, due to the earlier departure time? Trying to plan ahead.

I’m going to be traveling on #2 out of LA on March 17th. It seems that the departure time was moved from 10 PM to 7 PM—which isn’t really a problem for me, but does anyone know what the deal is with that?

Also, does anyone know whether the dining car will be open, due to the earlier departure time? Trying to plan ahead.
Sometimes they move the departure window earlier to accommodate for track work. When this happens, they serve a extra dinner service on the first night.

I would suggest calling Amtrak about the dining question a few days before departure and then you would have a better idea of whether you should plan on dinner on board or should eat some place before boarding.

Of course, either way, it is best to take an adequate supply of your own food.

Coincidentally, 4 hours after I made my post here, Amtrak robo-called me. I missed the call, but called back, and was connected to a representative who informed me (again) that the departure time was moving up to 7 PM from 10 PM.

She said that it was because of track work (confirming @Shanson 's post), and also said that dinner would be served onboard due to the early departure.

I was planning on finding dinner in LA before leaving, so now I don't have to! No complaints.

Update: Amtrak robo-called me again last night, and emailed saying the previous message was in error, and that “Train number 2, the Sunset Limited will run as originally scheduled.”

Meanwhile, I didn’t get a reservation change email (like I did before, when they first told me that the Sunset Limited was departing at 7 PM instead of 10), and Amtrak’s website still says 7 PM departure for the Sunset.

So…yeah. Amtrak, you’re killin’ it so far.

I had this same situation last spring. Yes, they will serve dinner the first night due to the earlier departure.

From a reliable source on FB

“ Someone made an error today and sent another notification including to passengers not impacted, and then sent the retraction.”

I read a post the other say about the early arrival of SL in Los Angeles but cant find it now to reply. so I hope somebody can enlighten me please. Here in the UK most overnight trains are timed to arrive around 07:00 - 08:00 with passengers having to detrain by 08:00. A few arrivals before 07:00 allow passengers to remain in their berths until 08:00. Nowhere would passengers be forced off on arrival at 05:30 so why do Amtrak. Is there a problem at Los Angeles that a few sleep cars cant be left in a platform until a more social time? I would have thought that a train of that distance and time could be scheduled to arrive at a more social time
I see there was a recent arrival -- January's 1(3) -- arrived an hour early . . . my question is would the lounge, which normally opens at 5am, have been opened early? Or would passengers have both been expedited off the train and not had that benefit of the lounge?

Amtrak’s site still lists the Sunset Limited as departing at 7 PM on March 17th, so I’m thinking that the “error” was purely that they notified me again, when they had already told me about the schedule change weeks ago.

But the retraction of the notification says that it will depart as originally scheduled, which was 10 PM when I booked the trip. So that really muddies the waters.

I guess someone is having a bad week over at Amtrak HQ.

I’m just going to show up assuming a 7 PM departure.

Amtrak’s site still lists the Sunset Limited as departing at 7 PM on March 17th, so I’m thinking that the “error” was purely that they notified me again, when they had already told me about the schedule change weeks ago.

But the retraction of the notification says that it will depart as originally scheduled, which was 10 PM when I booked the trip. So that really muddies the waters.

I guess someone is having a bad week over at Amtrak HQ.

I’m just going to show up assuming a 7 PM departure.
The reliable source I quoted above confirmed for someone on FB that the train is indeed leaving at 7 pm, not 10 pm.

I see there was a recent arrival -- January's 1(3) -- arrived an hour early . . . my question is would the lounge, which normally opens at 5am, have been opened early? Or would passengers have both been expedited off the train and not had that benefit of the lounge?
The Posted Operation times for the Metro Lounge @ Union Station are:
Mon-Fri. 5AM-10PM
Sat- Sun. 6AM-10PM

I've arrived Early several times on the Sunset Ltd/Eagle, and even when using a Redcap,( they use Carts to/from the back door) had to wait for the attendant to Open up( the only thing Open downstairs was the Starbucks)

Back