Sunset Limited: No Diner or Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I just can't help but think that Amtrak is making a big mistake if they do indeed cut the Diner and Sleepers off this route. The Sunset is the only true transcontinental train in the nation. Sure the train has severe operational issues, but how will removing these essential long haul features improve the train? If anything, it will further alienate potential (and current) clientele. The cutting of the Diner really dissapoints me. Back in the 1960's at some point SP ran this route without a Diner. I think they had vending machines in the club car. Any overnight journey should have a minimum of one sleeping car and a diner. Lord knows there is plenty of first class demand on this route.

If they HAD to cut these services, then they should only cut them between ORL and NOL. Out of NOL going West you have two nights (roughly 2,000 miles) of trip time left. That's way too long to go without a Dining Car...let alone a Sleeper!

If this goes through, it will mark a definite low point in the history of this once proud train.

If you cut the diner and sleepers it will follow desert wind symptoms. People dont want to ride a train 2 or 3 days with out those amenities.

I'm missing something. Amtrak is planning to take the sleepers AND DINER off the Sunset Limited.?!!!! So it would then be a few coaches and a sighseer lounge. Makes no sense. :blink:

Steve4031 said:
I'm missing something. Amtrak is planning to take the sleepers AND DINER off the Sunset Limited.?!!!! So it would then be a few coaches and a sighseer lounge. Makes no sense. :blink:
Who said that Amtrak had to make sense? :unsure:

I seriously doubt that one. This is news to me. Hasn't been anything within the rumor mill about this deal. I understand they are looking at the possibilty of cutting the Sunset back to LAX-NOL-LAX. And then offering a new daily service from NOL- ORL-NOL. I also heard this may be our possible new TPA train if indeed the deal of cutting #90/#89 back to NYP-SAV actually comes true. But who knows for sure. This is Amtrak we're talkin' about, folks! :lol: :D

I think they may make the Sunset daily. Officials at CSX have said that it's easier for them to run a train daily than three times a week. If you run daily you can plan your road better than "Well it works on these days, but not on these days."

battalion51 said:
I think they may make the Sunset daily. Officials at CSX have said that it's easier for them to run a train daily than three times a week. If you run daily you can plan your road better than "Well it works on these days, but not on these days."
I agree, I've always said that it's easier for a dispatcher to know that Amtrak shows up everyday, instead of only 3 days a week.

This would also increase ridership considerably, since people can now plan on the train being there when they need it. Increasing ridership would also decrease the big loss numbers that certain members of Congress love to spout to the media.

I was just discussing the issue with a buddy of mine and here's the big question. Is this going to be a whole Sunset going daily, or just NOL-ORL? If it's the whole Sunset than there are no major equipment issues. If we're talking a three days a week west of NOL and daily east of NOL do you A: run through the equipment three days a week with LA OBS crews and then the other four days a week run a different but equal set of equipment with NOL based crews, or B: run the Sunset only to NOL and then create a completely seperate train east of NOL with its own equipment and NOL based crews. What do you do and what's Amtrak thinking?

Is the demand there for a daily ORL-NOL run?

I think there is, but it'd ideally be a short consist, say 2 coaches, 1 sleeper, and one combination dining/lounge car, as I hear there is a shortage of Sightseer Lounges. Have a good four hour layover in NOL to connect to #1. This may call for retiming the Sunset to a later departure if possible. And of course, keep the good connection to #58 in place, as this is the easiest (ie, least time consuming) connection from Florida to Chicago.

I just want to see something happen sooner rather than later on this route. Delays or not, the Sunset serves large population bases along its route and it at least deserves the dignity of having daily service.

battalion51 said:
It'll be sometime in October when this happens, if it happens.
Aloha

If it was daily or on Saturday arrival or Thursday departure to/from NOR/LAX, I would be using it on my next trip.

NativeSon5859 said:
Back in the 1960's at some point SP ran this route without a Diner. I think they had vending machines in the club car. ]

You are correct about this. It was called an "automat" car, and it was basically vending machines. Good old Southern Pacific lamely tried to advertise it as a service that was "quicker, simpler and cheaper" compared to the diner but of course nobody liked it.

"Fine dining" was an established railroad tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back