Sunset LTD time change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BNSF is this going to be permanent or just until otp is improved? What times will the train arrive and depart Orlando?

On top of that, the Sunset would lose its biggest connector- the Starlight and the San Joaquin. A lot of the pax on the Sunset come from north of LA.

coronado said:
I still take the Eagle/Sunset westbound to LA, but the unreliability of the eastbound connection between the Sunset and Eagle at San Antonio has forced me to take the SW Chief when returning to Dallas... I do not want to ride the bus.
Just curious. How do you get to Dallas when you take the Chief?

Things are looking a little bit brighter here in Oklahoma as far as state support for the Heartland Flyer. If the train gets the necessary funding it needs, there is a chance they will extend it to Newton, Kansas to connect with the Chief. This will do wonders for ther flyer between the connection and adding Wichita, KS as a stop. You then would have an alternate route to Dallas. It would also add some flexibility in the case of a line blockage on the Eagle or Chief's route ie. divert eagle passengers bound for STL and CHI via the flyer and the Chief if the line were impassable between FTW and STL. Here's to hoping

rmadisonwi said:
coronado said:
I still take the Eagle/Sunset westbound to LA, but the unreliability of the eastbound connection between the Sunset and Eagle at San Antonio has forced me to take the SW Chief when returning to Dallas... I do not want to ride the bus.
Just curious. How do you get to Dallas when you take the Chief?
To get to Dallas via SW Chief, I take the Chief to from LAX to Galesburg, IL and then take the shuttle to Springfield, IL where I catch the Texas Eagle.

bmlock said:
If the train gets the necessary funding it needs, there is a chance they will extend it to Newton, Kansas to connect with the Chief.
What makes you say that? Is it just wishful thinking or did you hear this somewhere? It seems that if they are debating funding for what they already have (current Heartland Flyer), it would be an odd move to then fund what they have got and an extension to it. Amtrak itself can't step in and fund it.

The reduced consists mentioned is the solution for all of AMTRAK's trains. Reducing consists on each train would free equipment and crews to be spread out over the entire system.

AMTRAK really needs twice daily service on all its lines. AMTRAK also needs to reroute some of its lines to create a national grid route system rather than a regionalized hub system. A Cincinnati-routed Floridian/Southwind, a Memphis-routed, Raleigh-Los Angeles Crescent/Southwest Chief, a Shelby-El Paso Shoshoni/El Pasoan, and a Pioneer/Desert Wind route would round out a grid system for AMTRAK using other existing routes.

AMTRAK needs to become more of a serious consideration for all American travelers rather than only for a few concentrated regions. Being equally acccessible to all locations in the contiguous 48 States will make that a reality.

The reality that most AMTRAK passengers appear to be regional can be used to accommodate those passengers with twice daily service scheduled to depart major cities enroute at commuting hours by trains running cross- country. In effect, AMTRAK would be a "national commuter train" service. Many people seem to think of it that way anyhow. AMTRAK really is serious transportation for those who are within about 150- 300 miles of its lines. Many more have to put quite a bit of effort into reaching AMTRAK... and quite a few do!

Cross-country train travel is needed. The dining car is certainly a railroading tradition (at least since about the 1890s). Yet, I have seen passengers, accustomed as many are to fast food, seem quite content with lounge car cuisine. That's not necessarily unique to the AMTRAK era of passenger railroading. AMTRAK has certainly carried on the traditions of passenger railroading quite well.

Apparently there will be no special car for the diner/lounge. It will be a dining car with an LSA selling snacks in half the car (the "lounge"). Similar to the Empire Builder Seattle section, from what I'm gathering.

Any ideas as to where the Sightseer Lounges from #1/2 would end up if they are indeed cut from the rotation?

I'm still kind of dissapointed by this, as the Sunset route has many scenic highlights that are really enhanced by the Sightseer car. As I said before, I wouldn't cry if the City of N.O lost its lounge in favor of a combined Diner/Lounge...the Sunset is a different story though. Oh well.

NativeSon5859 said:
Any ideas as to where the Sightseer Lounges from #1/2 would end up if they are indeed cut from the rotation?
If they are indeed cut (no confirmation of this just yet, only rumors), they would likely end up in reserve, to try and mitigate against the frequent occasion where a lounge is bad-ordered with no replacement (a snack-coach often substitutes, if available).

On the other hand, the Pacific Parlour cars are getting up there in years. If Amtrak wanted to maintain the service, but could no longer keep those Hi-Levels running....

This is all speculation only.

Anyway, the proposed new schedule is making its way around online. If I can upload it to a permanent server, I'll post the link here. Those that are members of the All_Aboard or SunsetFriends yahoo groups can already access it there in the files section.

AlanB said:
rmadisonwi said:
Diner and lounge replaced by combined diner/lounge.
Amtrak doesn't have any combo diner/lounge cars, at least in the Superliner series.
Cars numbered 33100-33104in the Superliner I series is considered to be (quote from Amtrak's equipment book) a "Superliner lounge (diner conversion)". The diagram shows 8 booths on one side of the upper level. The other end of the upper level shows circular booth seating along with 4 booths for only 2 people. In the center of the upper level is a snack bar and beverage station. The drawing shows both std. and circular booth seating with no food service area or kitchen on the lower level. Since it looks like there is only 5 of these cars that exsist, maybe this is what will be used on the Sunset.

I'm going to be forced to believe this. When the proposed schedules came out for Silver Service I got something that looked nearly identical to that. Hey maybe the Sunset'll have a prayer of making it to ORL by Midnight now.

Going to the Sunsetfriends, it sounds like the schedule is lengthened to accomodate trackwork. It is just extra padding. Now I'm thinking, once all the double-tracking is completed on the UP, and trains begin to run with a decent otp, will the extra time east of New Orleans be taken out, or is that extra time permanent? Because in 2000, the running time east of NO became 3 hrs longer, which is quite a bit of time. I'm still wondering the reason for this, is it padding or did the track speed get slower?

jccollins said:
bmlock said:
If the train gets the necessary funding it needs, there is a chance they will extend it to Newton, Kansas to connect with the Chief.
What makes you say that? Is it just wishful thinking or did you hear this somewhere? It seems that if they are debating funding for what they already have (current Heartland Flyer), it would be an odd move to then fund what they have got and an extension to it. Amtrak itself can't step in and fund it.
State Senator Crutchfield (D) of Ardmore, OK filed an emergency bill SB389. This would keep the Flyer going for another year. It also calls for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to seek funding to extend service north to connect with the Chief. The state wants federal matching dollars for this and so it most likely won't happen, but it can't hurt to try. There is a long list of political types (mayor's for example) that have officially requested train service for their areas which are north of OKC. The biggest problem opponents have right now is the continued success/contantly increasing ridership of the Flyer. Extending north would balloon this number. Those politicians who got the Flyer started are on record as sayin the Flyer has to connect north to remain viable.

Latest rumor is that the diner and lounge will remain separate on this train. There have been some stumbling blocks regarding the new schedule, but it is still expected to be implemented in March.

bmlock said:
State Senator Crutchfield (D) of Ardmore, OK filed an emergency bill SB389. This would keep the Flyer going for another year. It also calls for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to seek funding to extend service north to connect with the Chief. The state wants federal matching dollars for this and so it most likely won't happen, but it can't hurt to try. There is a long list of political types (mayor's for example) that have officially requested train service for their areas which are north of OKC. The biggest problem opponents have right now is the continued success/contantly increasing ridership of the Flyer. Extending north would balloon this number. Those politicians who got the Flyer started are on record as sayin the Flyer has to connect north to remain viable.
Ah, thank you for the info bmlock. Hopefully the senator persists and has some luck. Althought I am not holding my breath for the feds to support the propasal with a 50% match, it would sure be nice!

Here is the time change for the 1&2 Train 2 will depart LAX 8hrs earlier 2:30pm San Antonio TX 10:25pm-1:00am,NOL 4:00pm-6:00pm,Orlando 4:15pm.

Train 1

depart orlando 1:45 NOL 9:20am-11:55am, San Antonio 3:00-5:40am Arr LAX 10:10am

BNSF_1088 said:
Here is the time change for the 1&2 Train 2 will depart LAX 8hrs earlier 2:30pm San Antonio TX 10:25pm-1:00am,NOL 4:00pm-6:00pm,Orlando 4:15pm.

Train 1

depart orlando 1:45 NOL 9:20am-11:55am, San Antonio 3:00-5:40am Arr LAX 10:10am

Is this the last word? Official?

Hope it works. Actually there is presently a connection between the s.b. Crescent and the eastbound SL. That would be broken by this, but no matter, I don't think that connection is used much anyway.(though I have once it once==it is one way to get to Florida from Atlanta).

Whatever works. Hope this works better than what we have had.

Is there padding in the schedule? Yes. But there is also a large amount of work that is done at these stations as well. In San Antonio they add the cars from the Eagle, water the train, and fuel the ponies. Meanwhile in NOL they water the train, load food and supplies, and change the ponies (per FRA requirement).

Well, the new schedule will require a few things that will guarantee at least a little better on time performance:

1. An "extra" Superliner train set will need to be kept in Los Angeles since it is not possible to turn a set in just over 4 hours (between the Sunset's scheduled arrival and departure). This should almost guarantee that train 2 will depart Los Angeles on time since it will not have to wait for a late arriving trainset.

2. The connection at Los Angeles between the southbound Starlate and the eastbound Sunset Limited has been broken. This should almost guarantee that train 2 will depart Los Angeles on time since it will not have to wait for the Starlate's arrival, which is usually quite late.

The bad part is that there will not be any same day connections for northern California passengers to transfer to the Sunset, including from the San Joaquin line since the first southbound San Joaquin train (702 from SAC) doesn't arrive into Los Angeles until 2:25pm.

I doubt the actual timekeeping on the U.P.'s part will improve that much, but Amtrak has built in ANOTHER 4 hours of padding in each direction so hopefully U.P. will NOT see it as an opportunity to begin delaying the Sunset even more than they already do. If they continue with their current practice it would only arrive at each end 2-3 hours late instead of 6-7 hours...

One good thing is that given the new schedule, Amtrak should have no excuse for getting #2 out of Los Angeles late. That frequently happened due to a late Starlate connection or late arriving #1 inbound trainset. If Amtrak can prove they can get the Sunset out of its origination stations on time EVERY TIME they will have a much better case screaming at the U.P. for delaying it enroute. Last summer when they were sending #2 out of Los Angeles 6-8 hours late regularly due to the late arriving #1 inbound trains they only showed how poor their operations planning was. The same (getting the trains out on time) should be true for #1 departing Orlando since inbound #2 is scheduled to arrive four hours earlier than it was previously.

Lets hope the adjustments work and the Sunset Ltd. loses its reputation for unreliability and incessant bussing of passengers. I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful...

:unsure:

The westbound Maricopa stop will probably be shortened back to 10 minutes, because otherwise the train would block the grade crossing for 40 minutes. Of course, this all *assumes* the train is on time anyway, which it won't be, so it really doesn't make any difference.

Back