Super cheap CL tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyKoala

Lead Service Attendant
Can anyone explain why ticket prices for tomorrow on the CL#29 are the same prices as when you buy 30 days in advanced? Sometimes not even that low.

Coach $146

Roomette $146, Total: $239

Room $278, Total: $371

But its as if no one has bought tickets yet. They go upas soon as the first person buys a ticket. Its just a little strange 24 hours from departure it hasn't gone up a few dollars.

No, they don't go up as soon as the first person buys a ticket.

Fares are split into 5 (mostly) buckets. Part of the process is automated, but revenue managers actively move inventory from one bucket to the next. If loads are excessively low on tomorrow's departure, you'll find low bucket seats available.

Coach is now $116

Roomette is $321

Bedroom is $278

Looks like roomettes are selling well.

Coach is now $116Roomette is $321

Bedroom is $278

Looks like roomettes are selling well.
I was just checking some fares on behalf of my sister to determine whether it would pay her to buy points and use points to go to Chicago from Washington. For one of the dates I looked, the bedroom was a few dollars less than the roomette and it certainly would not have been cost effective for her to buy points and use them for that trip (which is moot since buying points would not give her enough points for a 2 zone trip)

Buying a ticket doesn't necessarily mean that the price immediately goes up.

If there are 20 low bucket tickets available and you buy one, the next 19 seats are going to be sold at the same price (unless a revenue manager comes along and changes that).

We went to Chicago on the Capital Limited on February 8th and the low bucket was available for about every day that I had looked. I guess having two Superliner sleepers, plus I think 4 rooms in the Transdorm creates a market surplus in the slow winter months.

I recall one August, and we really wanted to ride the Cap Limited - and I think it was sold out, or at least every sleeper was sold. So February is a good month to try and snag a low bucket roomette or room on the Cap Limited. This time of year it's a good value for the travel dollars spent - and for that reason, it's not necessarily a good train to use for points - when you can get a low bucket. Plus it splits two zones, so it requires a larger two zone award (AGR).

BTW - I love that train. Excellent trip and connects two city pairs that are really interesting to travel to (DC & Chicago).

www.amsnag.net can be useful to identify which days already have lots of advanced purchases in each class of service. But, until you actually board the train, you can't be certain whether all of the purchasers of those advanced tickets will actually show up to ride your train.

I priced a roomette one time on the Crescent from Atlanta to N.O. which has low use of rooms since it is daylight and the train ends in N.O. Then I tried to purchase 2 rooms. Price was higher. Went back and try to buy one. Price was higher. Apparently, buying the first caused both to be higher when purchasing them on one reservation.

I also found that if you use Amtrak site, selecting a room seems to "lock" that room for a while at the price listed but times out if you don't purchase. One one browser, I locked a room then immediately went to second browser and priced a room. It had gone up. I exited both browsers without completing a reservation and then tried again to get a room a bit later. Price had gone down. Note my test was done late night and there were likely few if any others booking rooms at the time.

If you are purchasing two rooms, price one and if it is low, grab it. Then buy the second on a different reservation. Thus if price goes back down later to what you paid for the first, you can call and get a refund of the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back