Superliner I or II

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Amtrak did away with the original airbags that were in the S1 trucks, the S1s could make you seasick. Hit a small bump and they would jump all over the place. Replacing the bags with coil spring has tamed things somewhat but the S2s in general to me ride better and less prone to respond to every imperfection on the track.

About what year did they make this change? I remember taking the CZ west (CHI to DEN) a few times and the ride was really rough with lots of swaying. That was about 15 years ago, though.
Not sure, it was during one of the major refurbs though. If you compared the trucks on the S1s when they were delivered, to the ones now, the present trucks have a big spring added to it.

As the original poster of this question I am very excited to gain any knowledge that I did not posess beforehand, so thanks for all the positive post, wether they be about flutes, rivets,airbags, bars on wheels, and plates to cover old numbers. So thanks for all the POSITIVE replies. And to the guy with the stir stik I hope someone tells you they love you today you need it I think ;)
Its a fair question, and there are folks on this board that are "rivet counters" and are interested in that kind of information. I am somewhat interested in it myself. I knew about the truck differences, but never noticed the body differences until now and find it interesting.

It is a railroad board, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good question would also be what is the external difference between S1 and S2 and California cars. Its looks to be the same body but different interior bits.

Back to the S1/S2 differences, the S2 truck was suppose to be easier to maintain and the S1 trucks were supposedly based on an European design.
Well the most obvious difference between a S1/2 & a Cali Car would be the fact that Cali Cars have 2 sets of doors per side and the Supers do not. I also believe that the fluting is different between the two.

You are also missing a 3rd similar car; the Hi-Levels. These look fairly similar to Superliners however are not as tall and has much more fluting. There are probably other differences however those I personally think are the big ones.

Oh and to the guy who doesn't think Amtrak Riders get excited as to the differences in cars; I always try and know my different passenger cars inside & out. So that when I ride on Amtrak I will know which car is which. I hope that before either Amtrak vanishes or I die I will have ridden in every type of Amtrak car currently running (I really need to get out to the west coast and get in a PPC before they are gone). By the way anyone know of any way I could get a ride on #1001?

peter

Before Amtrak did away with the original airbags that were in the S1 trucks, the S1s could make you seasick. Hit a small bump and they would jump all over the place. Replacing the bags with coil spring has tamed things somewhat but the S2s in general to me ride better and less prone to respond to every imperfection on the track.
I remember that! I can't say I'm a big fan of the swaying... ha. I remember pulling out of WAS I think on the Capitol years ago.. and going through the yard I would swear the thing was gonna flip over.

I remember that! I can't say I'm a big fan of the swaying... ha. I remember pulling out of WAS I think on the Capitol years ago.. and going through the yard I would swear the thing was gonna flip over.
The original S1 trucks were awful. Amtrak was on an airbag kick for a while, and the Amfleet I's were no better than the S1's. It wasn't just the swaying; the ride was very harsh too. They apparently replaced the airbags on the S1 trucks and it made a BIG difference. I swear they did something to the Amfleet I trucks too but others I've asked say they hadn't heard about anything... but I rode Amfleet I's a lot in the old days and they were *horrendous*; the ones I've ridden recently were very smooth.

Anyway, I don't notice a difference in ride quality between S1 and S2 cars now, although maybe I would if I was really looking for one. I think it'd be hard to just walk back and forth between cars and say any difference you feel isn't just due to different stretches of track, though.

I swear they did something to the Amfleet I trucks too but others I've asked say they hadn't heard about anything... but I rode Amfleet I's a lot in the old days and they were *horrendous*; the ones I've ridden recently were very smooth.
The Pioneer III trucks in general are very finicky and when not maintained properly ride quite poorly. Just a bit of TLC restores them to very good riding quality. That is what you may have experienced.

Since the OP asked about interior AND exterior differences, that is what we have tried to help with. Sorry that does not excite you. Especially since there are just not a whole lot of differences on the inside other than what has already been mentioned.
Do you really think that fluting and rivets are what gets Amtrak passengers the most excited about taking their train? I hate to break it to you, but no.
Did we ever mention the intention to get passengers excited? Many of us are railfans here, and talking about fluting and rivets is what "gets us excited." If you don't have something nice to say, then please don't say it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So beyond the closet or the toilet stuff, There isn't many differences between SL I & II noticeable inside?

You are also missing a 3rd similar car; the Hi-Levels. These look fairly similar to Superliners however are not as tall and has much more fluting. There are probably other differences however those I personally think are the big ones.
Yep - here's the PPC on the Coast Starlight. You can see that it's a bit shorter and the fluting goes all the way down to the bottom of the windows.

So beyond the closet or the toilet stuff, There isn't many differences between SL I & II noticeable inside?
Refurbished Superliner I sleeping cars have cherrywood veneers, while Superliner II and perhaps unrefurbished Superliner I cars have blue veneers. I can't think of any significant interior difference between Superliner I and II coaches.

But don't underestimate the importance of the difference in toilets. The refurbished Superliner I toilets function better at altitude, which is important on western long-distance trains that go through high passes. A couple of months ago I spent 20 hours (Denver to Winnemucca) with a foul-smelling, nonfunctioning toilet in a Superliner II deluxe bedroom. The other sleeper on the train (a refurbished Superliner I) had functioning toilets.

Another way to tell the difference between a Superliner I and II externally is the number board that designates the train/car number near the door is digital on II's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back