Superliner Lake Shore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
For anyone in upstate New York looking for something different, the Lake Shore Limited is operating with Superliners as far as Albany today (then single-level to NYP). Tomorrow's westbound departure will also use Superliners out of Albany.

For anyone in upstate New York looking for something different, the Lake Shore Limited is operating with Superliners as far as Albany today (then single-level to NYP). Tomorrow's westbound departure will also use Superliners out of Albany.
How come? Sleepers, too?

What about 448/449. That would be interesting to ride too.

Probably a stub train. This isn't the first time Superliners have been on the LSL. There have been atleast two instances since 2007 where Superliner's have filled in on the LSL. Yes to the sleepers, I believe once they put a full diner and snack coach on and the other a CCC and possibly a snack coach as well.

Anyone know what gives? They bumped some of my family members out of a roomette into coach. Now the train is sold out. Equipment shortage? Today's train was late. Does 48 turn into 49 the next day?

How do they know they are short 2 days in advance. Guess I'm just bummed for them.

*Just saw the post about superliners on the lakeshore. Anyone know why?*

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what gives? They bumped some of my family members out of a roomette into coach. Now the train is sold out. Equipment shortage? Today's train was late. Does 48 turn into 49 the next day?
How do they know they are short 2 days in advance. Guess I'm just bummed for them.

*Just saw the post about superliners on the lakeshore. Anyone know why?*
I merged your new post into the one already started on this subject.

Most likely problems with the single level equipment (Viewliners have had the most problems in the past, with the other single level cars also having freezing problems. The Superliners work the best in the harsh conditions, so they have to fill in when problems get way to bad on the single level equipment.

There was a freight train derailment on the NS line, preventing the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited from getting in on Thursday morning. By the time the equipment was able to get in, the Lake Shore would have been extremely late in departing due to servicing and maintenance, so a Superliner train was assembled in Chicago (no spare long-distance single-level equipment in CHI).

Similar to when the Cardinal was run with Superliners last month for one trip.

Boston South Station doesn't have any platforms compatible with the height of the doors on the Superliners. I think Framingham and Worcester may have only high level platforms, too. (The part of Back Bay Station used by the LSL has a low level platform, as do Springfield and Pittsfield.)

Then again, I thought upstate New York had some high level platform only stations, too.

Boston South Station doesn't have any platforms compatible with the height of the doors on the Superliners. I think Framingham and Worcester may have only high level platforms, too. (The part of Back Bay Station used by the LSL has a low level platform, as do Springfield and Pittsfield.)
Then again, I thought upstate New York had some high level platform only stations, too.

Syracuse has a high level platform , but otherwise I think its all low level to Poughkeepsie which would be part of the stub train.

Does/can anybody get some pictures or a video and put it on "YouTube"

Thanks a lot to anybody who can do this!!! :)

Albany is high-level too. I believe Schenectady is as well, but I could be far off on that one. In any case, detraining high-level trains at low-level stations is not rocket science.

Albany is high-level too. I believe Schenectady is as well, but I could be far off on that one. In any case, detraining high-level trains at low-level stations is not rocket science.
True. The 'science' is how to detrain Hi-Level or Superliner cars at a HIGH level platform, where the entrance is bisected by the platform.

Albany actually has considerable length of low level platforms at the north end of the station that are accessible from the high level platforms via ramps.

Schenectadsy is all low level. There was a few photos of on of the Supertliner LSL runs from the past. They showed how they had to discharge the people on the low-level section of the Syracuse station.

Schenectadsy is all low level. There was a few photos of on of the Supertliner LSL runs from the past. They showed how they had to discharge the people on the low-level section of the Syracuse station.
However the new Schenectady station will be high level with a short low level platform at one end.

Looks like there will be a stub train between ALB and NYP and passengers will be bussed to points between BOS and ALB. The decision to not run the Superliners to BOS was made because of the lack of low platforms there, as has been noted.
What difficulties would they run into in running the Superliner train to Springfield, and bussing between Springfield and Boston? Pittsfield and Springfield both have low level platforms, so platform compatibility wouldn't be the issue. And Springfield is a place where Amtrak trains routinely terminate. I suppose there is the question of whether a train can be wyed at Springfield, and whether there's enough overnight parking available there for one extra trainset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back