Superliner Lounge: the obnoxious garbage can and galley

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest TT

Passengers seem to greatly enjoy the Superliner Lounge to the point that often, there are no seats available. On my recent trip in early January aboard the Capitol Limited from Chicago to/from DC, the lounge was packed. (The Chicago outbound (January 1) operated on time, and the crew was first shelf cool. A great trip. My return from DC (January 5) was just as pleasant. Both crews were quite cordial and professional.)

Back to the point: the tables in the Superliner Lounge are a nice touch. The blue and grey motif with the woodgrain bulkheads are quite appealing. I heard passengers remark that they enjoyed

the inviting atmosphere in the car.

However, it would be nice if there were more seating offered at the end of the car opposite the tables. As long as I can remember, there has been the galley by the stairway and I have never seen it used. Then, several years ago, a large 5 foot tall garbage can was fabricated and placed right in the middle of the seating area near the galley. What the hell is this big thing doing there, obstructing seats and views? Didn't the paper garbage bags serve the purpose? I've estimated that there could be at least 12 additional seats and window space instead of those eye sores!

WHY can't Amtrak remove both of these large elephants (galley and MONSTER garbage can) and make more room for passenger seats?

WHY can't Amtrak remove both of these large elephants (galley and MONSTER garbage can) and make more room for passenger seats?
To quote the great american poet P. Diddy... "It's All About the Benjamins".
Removing the upper-level bar (galley) would cost money.

That being said, moving the trash cans is free... but of course that would require finding another place to put them. Maybe there would be a way to place them inside the upper-level bar (galley) area?

The real problem is probably the table seating. I literally just wrote in another thread that there's rarely a lack of seats in the lounge cars, before remembering that the last time I rode in one was actually before its refurbishment. Nowadays SSL's are set up like an old Amfleet lounge car, which, if experience in other similar cars (like those old lounges and the Great Dome) is anything to go by, means half the seating is probably often wasted because couples take up all four table seats. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that, but this is a fairly common Amtrak seating arrangement that I've always thought was terrible for just this reason. It makes no sense to me that Superliner lounges should be copying the horrible Amfleet lounges, which are only laid out the way they are because they're single level cars out of necessity.

The old SSL layout had full lounge seating upstairs and table seating downstairs. I don't really understand why they changed this.

On my recent roundtrip LAX-SEA-LAX (jan 5/6 and 12/13), the cafe attendants made announcements to the effect that the downstairs tables in the SSL were for consuming food purchased from the cafe, and to please not use table-hogging distractions (phones, laptops, tablets) there. The upstairs tables were available for eating your own food, cafe food, using your laptop, playing games, etc., but please remember that it's a shared car and be prepared to share your table.

Ricky, you make a good point regarding the cost of removing the never-used upstairs bar (galley). But really, how much would the cost of removing the bar cost? Perhaps the following could be a start for discussion purposes and suggestion to Amtrak:

- why obstruct prime window space for things that don't serve a purpose?

- what is the cost for 2 mechanics to disassemble the bar (galley) and remove the pieces out through the car door?

- repositioning of the "garbage box" to a position near the stairway vestibule or perhaps downstairs, using a receptacle upstairs with a chute down into the top of the "big box" downstairs? (IS a 5ft x 3ft x 2 ft monster garbage can in the SSL needed?) Could a smaller, less obtrusive container work?

-Could an additional 12-15 seats to take the place of the bar (galley) and garbage can, and perhaps purchased or manufactured with reasonable cost effectiveness?

My point is: I believe that customer satisfaction and maximizing appeal of the SSL car and an overall quality and memorable passenger experience is the key here. I have noted too many people hogging the tables and passengers that want to have a chance to sit in the SSL, looking for open seats.

Even though the tables upstairs help create comfort and convenience, there should be more single seating for folks that don't necessarily need to use a table. From what I understand, the bar (galley) has been in the cars since the 80s. I first saw them in 1986, and never have seen them used.

Is it time for Amtrak to evaluate the need to remove the bar (galley) and reposition the monster garbage can?

Isn't the goal here a quality passenger experience which makes them want to return?

While I say this not really as a supporter of the upstairs bar, but as some facts.

The bar upstairs is infact used. I've heard reports from members here which have seen it in use by Amtrak SCAs on busy/popular routes, especially during a rush time (ie holidays). I personally have seen it used by Trails & Rails people on The Builder. Which is nice, as it means they aren't taking up precious seats to babel on about crap (I'm not a fan of this program). Does that mean that the Galley should be removed, idk.

What I would like to see however is the regular cafe-style tables (& seating) removed from the upper level on the cars that have them. They're a waste of space, The few times I've been in an SSL that's had them, their mainly taken up by people sitting at the end craning their necks to look out the window. If they have to put some tables up on the upper level, how about 1 or 2 (and only 1 or 2) of the CCC-style seats on the ends, or right next to the stairs.

peter

"Could an additional 12-15 seats to take the place of the bar (galley) and garbage can."

It looks like taking out the upstairs galley will allow adding 3 to 5 more SSL seats.

What I would like to see however is the regular cafe-style tables (& seating) removed from the upper level on the cars that have them. They're a waste of space, The few times I've been in an SSL that's had them, their mainly taken up by people sitting at the end craning their necks to look out the window. If they have to put some tables up on the upper level, how about 1 or 2 (and only 1 or 2) of the CCC-style seats on the ends, or right next to the stairs.
I like many people bring my own food on the train. If they take out the upstairs tables where would I eat? I prefer not to get crumbs all over my seat. I ride the CS and I rarely see empty tables. I have shared a table with 3 total strangers multiple times. I have seen many card and board games played at these tables. I can't think of another place families can comfortably play Candyland on the train. One ambitious family brought Monopoly. Late night poker games would be a thing of the past. Group conversations would be much harder with all seats facing the windows. The Sightseer Lounge is not only for sightseeing.

I like many people bring my own food on the train. If they take out the upstairs tables where would I eat? I prefer not to get crumbs all over my seat. I ride the CS and I rarely see empty tables. I have shared a table with 3 total strangers multiple times. I have seen many card and board games played at these tables. I can't think of another place families can comfortably play Candyland on the train. One ambitious family brought Monopoly. Late night poker games would be a thing of the past. Group conversations would be much harder with all seats facing the windows. The Sightseer Lounge is not only for sightseeing.
Agreed! The tables serves multiple purposes for both Coach and Sleeper pax and add to the overall Lounge experience. I have used them several times.

I've read that at night some people with coach tickets sleep in the SSL.

In a travel report it was mentioned they saw a guy on the floor in the SSL in a sleeping bag, getting some shut-eye.

I've read that at night some people with coach tickets sleep in the SSL.

In a travel report it was mentioned they saw a guy on the floor in the SSL in a sleeping bag, getting some shut-eye.
Those are the infamous Lounge Lizards and starting about 9 pm they will scavange for position and depending on how many there are, will end up splattered all over the car usually until 6 the next morning when many Conductors will flush them out so the Lounge can ready for day ops.

I like that - "flush them out". Lol. I was wondering how OBS handled it during the night and in the morning.

I wouldn't mind a 6 am wake up so I don't miss to much scenery.

Is being infamous anything like being a scoundrel?

Conversation at breakfast in the Dining Car might perk up a bit if one can casually mention being a Lounge Lizard.

"How did you like your Roomette bed?

for myself I became a Lounge Lizard last night and slept on the floor of the Sightseer Lounge Car.

It was pretty comfy with my little pillow and my travel blanket. I slept pretty good."

Last edited by a moderator:
The big, ugly cardboard boxes serve an extremely important purpose. They supplement the teeny tiny stainless trashcans in the galley monument and near the vestibules. Without the cardboard receptacles, the crew would have to clear out the tiny trashcans almost hourly. Now, they only have to worry about it daily.

Quasi-seriously, though, the cafe car generates quite a bit of rubbish. Only a few of those cardboard trays would clog up the built in trash bins. Back when they were designed to be like their predecessors, the only trash would have been those little 3 oz paper cone cups.

What drives me bonkers is when the conductor closes the cafe-level tables at night when the cafe closes. That there is prime real estate for all night revelers - and a much preferred location, in my humble opinion, for self proclaimed music stars.

What drives me bonkers is when the conductor closes the cafe-level tables at night when the cafe closes. That there is prime real estate for all night revelers - and a much preferred location, in my humble opinion, for self proclaimed music stars.
And what is worse is when they jam one of those big cardboard bins in the stairwell to close access to the lower level. That makes for a very sloppy unprofessional appearance.

Personally, I like the tables. Far more comfortable than the small lounge seating. And they are used for overflow coach seating at times. I have ridden from LVW to DAL in one due to overbooked Texas Eagle.

I never understood why they blocked the lower area at night , Lets face it . If its 1 AM and the * snack bar is closed* as I say . then what harm is there at 1 AM to let people in the lower area....... Infact I would call it a fire hazard . those cars were not made to block of the main escape route for pax.

IMO DIm the upstars and make the lower area at night a more lit area for Us night owls to work on our laptops.

I often just work trugh the night on the train and I dont want to be a PITA with my laptop's lit screen in there face at night :)

Any one want to start a pititaion to urge amtrak to open the SSL lower at night as a BYOD web cafe?

Us swinging young foulk would love it !

One thing I would do If I woud level the upper bar is to make it a chargeing podeuim. so there are QI charge pads for us with wireless charge phones . TONS of USB ports for the apple users with only wired charigng and a few WELL SPACED 120V outets to plug in a laptop ...... Make it like a bar stool set up like the cascades near the food counter .

I think 4 seats woud be nice... Let me do some CAD . Iam super bored and need a task :)

Peter

I think the block off the lower level to discourage thieves from rummaging around in the cafe-selling part of the car. I've observed people hopping the counter late at night in the Amfleet/Horizon cafes and looking for 'freebies' (I left before I found out if the get any). So I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened on SSLs.

peter

All the food and drink is locked up in the cafe when the LSA closes as is the door to the service area!

The main reason it is closed, in all probability, is so the LSA doesn't have to clean up the area, same reason the downstairs bathroom is " out of order" in the cafe area!

I have slept several nights downstairs back iny younger days when I rode Coach on LD trains!

I hate the idea of dimming the lights upstairs and forcing night owls into the lower level. I am a woman. I travel alone. Upstairs I am somewhat protected from perverts by the fact there are people around (lounge lizards) and the conductor or someone might walk through at any moment. There are multiple exits. Not so much on the lower level.

I hate the idea of dimming the lights upstairs and forcing night owls into the lower level. I am a woman. I travel alone. Upstairs I am somewhat protected from perverts by the fact there are people around (lounge lizards) and the conductor or someone might walk through at any moment. There are multiple exits. Not so much on the lower level.
The lights are allrreaddy dimmed at night ..... Iam not shure If you are aware of this.....

I dont see how opening up the downstairs forces you to go there,..your seat has plennty of space to call your own :)

As allwas it appears some one being lazy at there job is the where the buck stops..... so due to a lazy LSA we need to be kept out of the downstairs .

Here is the idea http://www.123dapp.com/123D_Design/Super-rough-superliner-Idea/3411635

uppersuperlinerIdeasuperROUGH.pngcb417677-a6bd-11e4-9f29-22000b53800cLarge.jpg

Okay, I'm confused by your statement. Dimming the lights doesn't mean it's "black as pitch". They dim the lights in coach, too. You can still see.

I guess you're thinking about being kicked out of the upper lounge for using a laptop. That would be stupid.

As the former president and chief executive of the ILA - Iowa Lounge Lizards Association - I must preserve, protect and defend all good lounge lizards throughout the land from the spurious conjecture we need a "darkened place" in order to thrive. But that was thirty years ago,, I had many amazing encounters in the lower lounge that made travel so much more enjoyable. Sad to see the Amtrak gods have intervened.

Hi mjaynes,

The issue is this - You have public space that is being blocked off because no one wants to patrol it. There is a considerable amount of valuable stock in the cafe area downstairs, only protected by a couple of heavy duty padlocks. There is also a relatively nice restroom downstairs and about 4 or 6 4-top tables.

In my experience, they don't quiet things down in the lounge until way after midnight. After all, this IS the place for folks in coach who don't want to sleep to go if they are night owls. Now, a lot of the real estate on the floor is taken up by the lounge lizards. It's harder to sleep at a table than on the floor, but some manange. Go downstairs, and opportunites exist to play cards, listen to music, etc without disturbing really anyone else on the train (except the lounge lizards).

My thought is that it would rarely be un-occupied. There is safety in numbers. Heck, let the conductor make that extra pass downstairs that will take all of 30 seconds.

But in my opinion, when you close something like that off completely - and poorly, using a large ugly cardboard trash can - you actually invite curiosity and perhaps even more egregious and perhaps lewd activity, because the chances of being caught are less (because no one is supposed to be there, RIGHT???).

Honestly, I don't think that the diner should be closed off to coach pax either after dinner and before breakfast for the same reason. However, I do understand the crew's desire to set up tables as soon as possible at night for breakfast service - and they don't want that disturbed.

The Image
Nice concept, Peter. Enough for a small "internet cafe" appeal, but doesn't take up too much prime sight seeing space. Honestly, I'd rather see that downstairs - it would encourage more people to sit there to enjoy their snack from the Cafe, AND would be a nice all-night place to just geek out. The view is also not near as nice downstairs, so you wouldn't really be blocking anything. Only should have one or two of these 4-place on a train. But I don't think your idea of it replacing the upstair galley would work, as it is an odd shape, overhanging the stairwell and not going all the way out to the side of the car.

This would be an awesome thing to do on the Coast Starlight downstairs where the "arcade" or "movie theater" used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back