Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celtical

Train Attendant
Hello. Well I booked my trip from Buffalo to Chicago to New Orleans on April 8th. I reserved a roomette for the Chi to New Orleans trip. I am by myself. Will they make me share the room

with someone, hopefuly not I am a lousy sleeper. How is the food, last time I travelled the food was great that was a few years back.

Just a side note. I am flying back from New Orleans to Toronto on WestJet. Got what I think is a great deal $97 including taxes.

Having a roomette (or bedroom) on an Amtrak train is like having a hotel room. Just because the hotel room has 2 queen beds and a sofa bed, the hotel will not sell that room to 4 more people to fill up all the beds!
rolleyes.gif
Likewise, Amtrak will not sell that roomette or bedroom to someone else! You can (if you wish) share that roomette or bedroom with a person of your choice.

That is why the price of the room is per room - and not per person! It costs the same for the accommodation charge for 1 or 2 passengers!
smile.gif
(The 2nd passenger only pays his or her rail fare.)

How is the food, last time I travelled the food was great that was a few years back.
Food is okay. We had no complaints on our trip on the Sunset Limited. However, I haven't been on the CONO yet, but will experience that in May.

On the CONO, they have the Cross Country Cafe (dining car) plus a snack bar in the Sightseer lounge. If you are eating in the dining car (meals are included in your fare), get the daily special or the chef's selection. Those have a tendency to change each trip, depending on what they bring on board. The standard items which are listed on the menu you can get any time, as they never change.

Since your trip is before mine, please post your experiences on the CONO for my benefit and others who will follow!

My trips on the CONO have always been very uneventful except when there was no Sightseer Lounge and the CCC was used as a diner and lounge! Then it was very crowded in the Lounge part of the CCC! The food has always been very good and most of the OBS on this route seem to be happy to have their jobs and are very friendly! :) Be sure and try the Bourbon Pecan Pie if they have it for dessert, it's outstanding! :wub: (even if it's made in Chicago!, :eek: not New Orleans! :cool: ) BTW-the crew calls this train "The Chicken Bone Express" since so many Coach pax tend to bring their food with them! :lol: Usually the diner is not crowded, and another plus, since it leaves at 8PM from Chicago you can be seated in the diner and order, sometimes even start eating before the train rolls out of CUS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will they make me share the room with someone, hopefuly not I am a lousy sleeper.
They used to have single sleeper berths once upon a time, but those have been gone for ages now. At this point every room, no matter the size, is sold in a single transaction to one party only.

How is the food, last time I travelled the food was great that was a few years back.
It's still the same generic commissary food, so if you liked it then you'll probably still like it now. :cool:

Just a side note. I am flying back from New Orleans to Toronto on WestJet. Got what I think is a great deal $97 including taxes.
New Orleans is more of a road trip distance from here so I've yet to fly that route, but that does sound like a great rate to me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back