Superliner Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBohlman

Train Attendant
My ticket on The City of New Orleans states:

Superliner Sleeper car #5800 - return trip #5900

Is there any way of knowing the sleeper cars names? :unsure:

Thanks-

No there is no way to predict what fleet number will be in the consist on the day of your trip. Also be aware that the Superliner I cars were "given" names. Names were assigned to the cars but never applied except for two cars, the Pullman and the Ullman. For a list of these cars check out this site. Also, on some days the 5800/5900 is on the rear of the train, not on the head end, just so you know.

Pros: away from locomotive/horn. Slightly less noise.

Cons: Farther away from diner/lounge, ride can be a bit rougher at rear of train.

rmadisonwi said:
Pros: away from locomotive/horn.  Slightly less noise.
Cons:  Farther away from diner/lounge, ride can be a bit rougher at rear of train.
So maybe I'm missing something here. 1st class customers get the longer walks and rougher rides? <_<

RichBohlman said:
rmadisonwi said:
Pros: away from locomotive/horn.  Slightly less noise.
Cons:  Farther away from diner/lounge, ride can be a bit rougher at rear of train.
So maybe I'm missing something here. 1st class customers get the longer walks and rougher rides? <_<
Remember if a group of kids holding in line, like a train, and run. Last person usually fishtailed. It's similiar to the last car.

It's fun to walk on moving train, if you're being careful. You'll have to widen your legs to get a better balance and use your hands on head rests as you walk along.

In most cases the sleeping cars are close to the dining car, this train is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Upon arriving in Chicago, this train becomes the Empire Builder. The Empire Builder requires one sleeper in the rear, since it splits in half upon reaching Spokane.

Under the circumstances, I would try calling Amtrak to see if there is any way to get your room changed to the sleeper near the front of the train and therefore closer to the dining car. If they can't do that, then remember than you can request your sleeping car attendant to bring you your meals in your room. Although I highly recommend trying to take at least one meal in the diner if you can.

Those days are gone Alan. It now turns to the Texas Eagle. Some days the Eagle needs a sleeper on the rear for the run through to LA, other days it doesn't so the sleeper is on head end next to the dorm, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure who the Builder is sharing equipment with these days.

The Empire Builder doesn't share with anybody.

The Texas Eagle/City of New Orleans have the sleeper at the rear every trip, regardless of whether there is a Sunset through car or not. The only exception is when there is a last-minute change of plans and the City has to use another train's equipment.

Back