Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
23 superliners 12 of which were wrecked coming back into service is good.
We know 14 of the 23 cars wonder what the other 9 are going to be.

I'd still like to see the state of CA pay for 3 transdorms and 5 sleepers to be put into service so we can use them on a sleeper train on the coast.

How many superliners has amtrak sold off over the years or scrapped? I know they've sold at least 8 to one company and I believe a museum has another 2

In Effort to Resolve Equipment Shortages, Amtrak to Rebuild 63 Cars
The 15 wrecked cars being rebuilt include one Amfleet II coach, two Viewliner II baggage cars, and 12 Superliners, as follows: 1 coach, 2 baggage coaches, 3 sleepers, 3 transition sleepers, 1 dining car, and 2 Sightseer lounges. Of the 23 Superliners returning to service, one is a coach, two are baggage coaches, two are snack coaches, three are sleepers, nine are transition sleepers, one is a dining car, and five are sightseer lounges. The remaining 40 include two Amfleet I table cars, one Amfleet II coach, 18 Horizon coaches, eight Viewliner I sleeping cars, six Viewliner II baggage cars, and five Viewliner II dining cars.
Much more clear breakdown of whats coming back into service

Last edited:
Sounds like some of the shrunken eastern trains will be getting their diners back. 👍
One of the single levels … the Crescent will get its Diner back. I am not sure what the one additional Superliner Diner will do other than beef up reserves. Lots of SSLs returning though.

Moderator's Note: About two dozen posts pertaining to track circuit triggering issue and related anecdotes have been moved to its own thread at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/the-track-circuit-triggering-issue-cn-amtrak.86003/
Please continue to track circuit triggering discussion in this new thread and leave this thread to continue discussion of addition and removal of cars in Superliner trains.

Thank you for you understanding, cooperation and participation.

One of the single levels … the Crescent will get its Diner back. I am not sure what the one additional Superliner Diner will do other than beef up reserves. Lots of SSLs returning though.
I hope the Crescent gets its diner back.

How soon would these go into service, you think?

I heard a rumor elsewhere that sometime mid-Oct the TX might get proper dining back - I would think that could be in conjunction with a SSL

How soon would these go into service, you think?

I heard a rumor elsewhere that sometime mid-Oct the TX might get proper dining back - I would think that could be in conjunction with a SSL
The Sightseer doesn’t seem likely. These announced car overhauls are budgeted for the upcoming FY2024 which begins October 1. As Chestler told Jim Mathews you’re likely talking summer at earliest for any of this equipment to make much of an operational difference (meaning the addition of a car line to a train.) another thing to keep in mind is two other factors remain that affect operational availability of cars beyond Beech Grove activity. One is bad order shop counts which continues to be plagued by supply chain issues and staffing issues at some shops like Chicago. And long distance cars like sleepers and diners have additional equipment that can go bad which again supply chain effects. Another factor unique to the superliner fleet that is the subject of another thread is the continued requirement to operate Superliners on the Illini/Saluki service (Chicago - Carbondale) which is a more recent development that started during or just before COVID. And not only do Superliners have to be used there’s an axle count requirement which means empty superliner cars beyond the couple you need for the actual service. To really get back to pre pandemic capacity out west that’s got to be dealt with one way or the other and those cars freed up.

Fall consist change this week - observed for superliner trains:

- Capitol Limited + a sleeper
- California Zephyr - *40 transition sleeper
- Southwest Chief - 1 regular sleeper replaced with a transition sleeper
Just saw the coast starlight today. Looks like they have taken off a sleeper for the fall.

Only sleeper cars were one regular sleeper and one transdorm.

I hope the Crescent gets its diner back.

That would be great but but the heritage diner (ex Seaboard) should have been replaced by a Viewliner 2 diner a while ago. Its hard to figure that if equipment was available, why the Crescent diner would have been removed in the first place but with Amtrak anything is possible..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back