Superliner vs. Viewliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What bedroom do you prefer?

• Viewliner Roomette

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Superliner Roomette

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • Viewliner Bedroom

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Superliner Bedroom

Votes: 34 29.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, with the exception that I prefer Superliner Roomette - I hate the Viewliner toilet-beside-my bed situation.

The extra space for the top bunk and the upper story windows on the Viewliner Roomette are great, as is the attic space for storage, but I just can't get past the ick factor of that toilet next to seat/bed.
Because of the toilet's placement in the Viewliner, I only sleep up top.
The toilet will become a non-issue in Viewliner IIs since they will no longer be in the roomettes. But either way I will continue to prefer the upper in Viewliner roomettes. I have never ever used the upper in Superliners since it feels too much like being in a coffin, and I'd rather hold off on that experience for as long as I can. :)
Hahaha - I feel the same way

I voted for the superliner bedroom,because that is how I usually get out of town. As I read the thread I realized that the viewliner with its upper window, and extra bag storage above the restroom is more preferrable to me when my wife tags along(always). A superliner roomette would be just fine if I were alone. Traveling forward or backward has never really been much of an issue for me, but I agree with ColdRain&snow about the advantages of a roomette alone. All in all any trip on a train is great!

I don't know which train took us back from California over the mountains but we got bedroom A (upgrade when on the train) and even if it was smaller than the other bedrooms, it was great for me. First time in a bedroom. Have been in the family bedroom once. Anyway, I snagged a good price on my next train trip. For $57 more for the both of us, I got a bedroom versus a roommette for one way of our trip. I like not having to worry about what I look like in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. If I could afford it, I would take a bedroom any time over a roommette. But then I would take a roommette over coach.

I prefer roomettes over bedrooms because of the motion of the train when you sleep.

In a roomette since you're parallel to the window when the car rocks side to side it feels like being a baby in a crib that's rocking.

In the one time I (tried!) to sleep in a bedroom on the SWC when the car rocked it felt like being on a ship in heavy seas going up and down over swells. I felt totally dizzy and seasick by the end of the night.

But from how I understand it now... the SWC runs over pretty lousy tracks so maybe I'd feel different on another route.

Speaking as a former Coach cheerleader and recent Sleeper convert :p .....

I've only traveled in a Viewliner Roomette and Superliner Bedroom, I'd love to travel in a bedroom anytime.

The roomette was fine but my experience was sullied by the price on the LSL and a husband that *still* thinks train travel is supposed to be an Orient Express-like experience.

We traveled in a bedroom roundtrip from CHI - NOL a couple of weeks ago and I loved it.

The rough tracks overnight were wild enough that I flew up in the air and hit my head on the window at which point my husband woke up and told me that he would love to relive that experience if I wouldn't mind throwing him in the trash cart, run up and down the driveway, while banging on it with a baseball bat. :p

It was not that bad :giggle:

In the end, I'll take any sleeping accommodation but I'd rather travel by myself so I don't have to deal with the expectations and window/seat hogging of said husband.

My upcoming solo roundtrips in the next couple of months are booked for roomettes and I can't wait.

CHI - DAL - CHI and

CHI - PDX - SEA - CHI

Thanks to everyone here and all of the great things I've learned - gotta love AmSnag, that's for sure. :)

I mentioned above (in 2011) that my sister and I were considering two Superliner roomettes across from each other on our next trip. We had our "next trip" this past November and did get the two roomettes on the Southwest Chief. We decided we like this better than a bedroom for coziness and privacy, even though the bathroom in a bedroom is appealing.

However, for sharing a roomette, we much prefer the Viewliner for upper bunk space.

Viewliner Roomette. I like being in the upper bunk parallel to the direction of movement and looking out the window as I doze off.

The roomette was fine but my experience was sullied by the price on the LSL
We can't get the new Viewliners soon enough. For several years, I've found that the price from Syracuse to Chicago was more than the price from Chicago to the West Coast. Although this seems to have changed recently, upon checking the prices (perhaps high prices finally started cutting into demand, or perhaps demand went up on the west coast - chicago trains).

I recently upgraded from a Viewliner Roomette to a Viewliner Bedroom for my upcoming trip on the Lakeshore Limited from Chicago to Buffalo. It was "only" $200 more (a deal, considering it had been $500 more). Besides the price drop, I did it because of the sleeping arrangement with 1 upper single bed and 1 lower double-bed vs. the 2 "coffin-sized" beds. I'm going with my girlfriend, so this will allow for snuggling. Can you put a price on snuggling? Also, the bedroom has the private toilet / shower combo, which is walled-off from the rest of the room. It doesn't bother me that it's a combo. The roomette has the in-room toilet, which I agree is a little weird. I guess you just have to go when your roommate is in the lounge area or ask him/her to step out. Not a big deal, but if that's the case, then I'd rather just have a public bathroom / shower. I'm also a little worried, since some of the commentors have said they prefer the view and sleeping direction of the roomette over the bedroom (parallel to the windows vs. perpendicular). Does anyone else agree or disagree? I'd hate to have spent an extra $200 for an "upgrade" that's not as good of a viewing or sleeping experience.

I'm going to have to vote for the H room on Viewliners...it's probably the worse room on Superliners (the upper bunk was designed for Twiggy) but the best on V'liners; the room can easily hold three people on the couch and one in a folding chair (which you must now supply) and the bathroom has its own shower that you can actually move around in. The room is accessible to revenue pax 15 days out from train day and the room can only be reserved through Amtrak reservation agents. I personally like it because the vestibule is right in front of the door and I'm usually right next to the diner. You have to go the length of the car to reach coffee and juice though.
I so agree with the above, realizing it's not an option for most travelers except within 2 weeks of travel if unsold.

Not sure I understand how anyone would say they prefer a roomette over a bedroom. Even if alone, why would you not prefer a bedroom if cost is not a consideration.
I *prefer* viewliner roomettes until the new fleet takes over, then I'll vote for any bedroom. I just travel so light that I don't need the extra room, and I don't get dirty enough to really need a shower -- I just use baby wipes when needed. I guess I just prefer the coziness of roomettes, which is good since there are more of them. :)

Oops, old thread. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep in mind that some of these posts are more than 2 years old.
And so are Some of the Posters! :giggle:
From what I've read, I'm not sure I always agree. Some posters act like two year olds!

And as to the guest ressurector's post, don't forget about the daytime configuration. For two adults, I prefer the roomette, as it has two comfy seats near the window, while the bedroom only has one.

And as to the guest ressurector's post, don't forget about the daytime configuration. For two adults, I prefer the roomette, as it has two comfy seats near the window, while the bedroom only has one.
True, but one of them faces backwards, which is no good for me.
You "no likely" riding facing backwards?
Some people get motion sickness riding backwards. Though I would have preferred riding forward facing for better watching out the window on my trip with my daughter, I rode backwards because she couldn't. Though we did swap seats when she wanted to nap.

Looks like I'll have to try V-L upper bunk! Sounds nice. And, yes, I really dislike riding backwards. I want to be able to see the rocks, trees, buildings, birds, whatever, and riding backwards means I see them first when they're nearest me, then get to watch them recede into the distance. Pain in the neck and frustrating.

I do prefer V-L roomettes as I can at least keep the toilet clean. But the shelf on the S-Ls is more convenient than the storage nook on the V-Ls. Haven't tried a bedroom in at lest 20 years.

Next trip might just be VIA all the way across Canada.

My husband and I took the Cardinal (viewliner) Phl - Chi. it had no ladder had to climb up on toilet then sink to get in top bunk.My legs were to short. Having the sink and toilet in the roomette was good but oh my that climb for my 6 foot Hubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back