Surprisingly the 767 lives on!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any particular reason why? I've yet to see a compelling inducement to ride any of the Chinese airlines. Poor reviews, clumsy connections, indifferent service, etc.
Im not sure if you count the Taiwan-based China Airlines, but I’ve flown them a few times trans-pacific. The crew are great, food was good IMO — I don’t see the problem with international airline food, at least the carriers I’ve flown. Their cabin is also very good looking IMO. They’ve also gotten good reviews online from multiple different people.

Why would you go through China when you have multiple non stops to the US from the east coast of Australia? Admittedly they are mostly 777s, 787s or A350s.

You are right that there are non-stoppers from east-Oz capitals to USA's west coast airports as well as a couple of internal US domestic hubs, but I think getting from Oz to the USA's east coast attractions takes a hop somewhere, and it may as well be China as anywhere else. I'm not keen, for example, to jump off a 14-17 hr full-service international long-haul to jump into a US domestic internal carrier for the last five or so air-hours.

I think most of Oz's inter-continental long-haul travel is to Europe rather than the Americas anyway, meaning we head west rather than east for preference. I think once the big Chinese airlines get themselves plugged into the Oz market, and given the opportunities provided by routes over the pole from there, we might head north regardless of our northern hemisphere destination.

It's a bloody long way to just about anywhere else from here, so if you have to go halfway around the globe to get there, it isn't very material which way you go :) I flew last into and out of Philadelphia by Qatar through Doha, and could have reached any number of US and Canadian eastern cities that way - much more fun than transiting through LAX and then picking up an internal.

You are right that there are non-stoppers from east-Oz capitals to USA's west coast airports as well as a couple of internal US domestic hubs, but I think getting from Oz to the USA's east coast attractions takes a hop somewhere, and it may as well be China as anywhere else. I'm not keen, for example, to jump off a 14-17 hr full-service international long-haul to jump into a US domestic internal carrier for the last five or so air-hours.

I think most of Oz's inter-continental long-haul travel is to Europe rather than the Americas anyway, meaning we head west rather than east for preference. I think once the big Chinese airlines get themselves plugged into the Oz market, and given the opportunities provided by routes over the pole from there, we might head north regardless of our northern hemisphere destination.

It's a bloody long way to just about anywhere else from here, so if you have to go halfway around the globe to get there, it isn't very material which way you go :) I flew last into and out of Philadelphia by Qatar through Doha, and could have reached any number of US and Canadian eastern cities that way - much more fun than transiting through LAX and then picking up an internal.

I may just be a bit paranoid, but I would be reluctant to be anywhere under Chinese jurisdiction for any part of my voyage, unless maybe I was actually intent on visiting China. That might be due to my last trip, where we got a security briefing before traveling, and they advised us only to use the special government phone and laptop they provided us, because the Chinese have a habit of hacking people's devices if they think it's to their benefi. Also, as part of the security check on the outbound flight, I got and extra-special frisking, although, thank heavens, I didn't get the special hand baggage inspection just before boarding. Not sure why that was the case, as I was traveling on an official passport (a passport that indicated I was a US government official traveling on official US Government business). Maybe they don't target tourists the same way, but there was that incident where those Canadian businessmen were used as pawns in some diplomatic spat between the US and China.

I may just be a bit paranoid, but I would be reluctant to be anywhere under Chinese jurisdiction for any part of my voyage, unless maybe I was actually intent on visiting China. That might be due to my last trip, where we got a security briefing before traveling, and they advised us only to use the special government phone and laptop they provided us, because the Chinese have a habit of hacking people's devices if they think it's to their benefi. Also, as part of the security check on the outbound flight, I got and extra-special frisking, although, thank heavens, I didn't get the special hand baggage inspection just before boarding. Not sure why that was the case, as I was traveling on an official passport (a passport that indicated I was a US government official traveling on official US Government business). Maybe they don't target tourists the same way, but there was that incident where those Canadian businessmen were used as pawns in some diplomatic spat between the US and China.

And as a citizen of as free and socially liberal a country as Australia, I share your unease in travelling in, or through, any unfree and illiberal country (the majority of the planet, sadly). And now there's a rebalancing of Empires, we who live in the long grass get caught up in things, even though we have no dog in the fight.

I have to hold my nose and be very careful when visiting many countries (and I'm not even an emissary or official representative) - China being but one of them, although I suspect my physical safety would be less at risk there than in many other places I'm encouraged to feel more affinity with. I'd also be very circumspect about participating in any aspect of domestic affairs there, even electronically.

I think once China is less under siege from the soon-to-be-eclipsed, her leaders will be less defensive and more inclined to take her place at the top table and participate more productively in global affairs as has been the tradition of previous dominant empires. I think we need a strong EU to help balance things, which is also why I think England taking the UK out of it is the most stupid political/economic act of the last decade. I'll be very happy when I have my Scottish passport with EU member embossed on it.

Some time ago, my spouse and I were travelling NYC-SFO amazingly frequently, and Tower Air had by far the best prices. They flew out of an abandoned freight hangar at JFK, and used the oldest 747's I've ever seen. And their pilots were equally decrepit. The planes rattled and squeaked, and they showed old Mr. Bean videos and ads for cheap limo services on the grainy hanging TVs. Thank God we only did it a few times, and they managed to crash financially before they flew one of their 200's into the ground.

Back