SWC #3 heading back to CHI?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the chief made it just into MO, and is heading back. We do have some Ice in the area, wonder if that was a factor.
A post at Trainorders says there was a BNSF derailment east of La Plata MO. Passengers will catch buses at Fort Madison for LaPlata and Kansas City. No word on accommodation of passengers for points west of KCY.

Between the Builder, the CZ, the SWC, and the TE, this has been the craziest couple of weeks...

I am the Chicago Coordinator for the new Trails & Rails program on the Southwest Chief between Chicago and La Plata. Our coordinator on the western end of the route out in La Plata says this happened around 7:20PM at a grade crossing just east of La Plata. #3 was about 30 minutes behind this mess. 7 bulkhead flats are on the ground and 2 have tipped over from that BNSF freight train. Amtrak was not involved obviously. The line is expected to re-open at Noon tomorrow. #3 will be pushed back about 30 miles to Fort Madison, IA where it will spend the night waiting for the line to re-open. We had T&R volunteers on the eastbound Southwest Chief today and they made it back to Chicago safely... we don't have any more T&R trips until Tuesday... so things should be back to normal by then we are hoping. Just very happy this didn't happen at the depot... as the depot office where we always sit waiting for the train on our T&R trips is like 10 feet from the tracks.

I did not come down to see the train. Our choir rehearsal just ended and we are in a pub just south of the station. Beaver Street Brewery-recommended for those visiting Flagstaff.

I was planning to do a r/t on the #3 tonight, but chickened out last night because of the storm. Looks like it was a good thing I did.

Looks like they are sending it back to CHI. Looks like the train overnighted in FT madison, and started back about an hour ago. The #4 has been waiting in KCY all morning.

Looks like they are sending it back to CHI. Looks like the train overnighted in FT madison, and started back about an hour ago. The #4 has been waiting in KCY all morning.
What will happen to 4 that is supposed to leave lax on the 15th?

It will another trainset. It take three sets of cars and locomotives to run daily service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back