SWC and TE trip in bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't see Burritos much here in England, what do they cost from the famous lady? Are there different fillings?
They were 2 USD. She had bean and cheese and green chili.

I don’t know how a nation can go without burritos! They are delicious

Sounds very reasonable, but as to living without burritos you need to explore the world more before passing judgment. For example, in the UK they're called Cornish pasties. 🤣
Oh, well do I feel stupid!

On another note, we’re in Arizona going pretty slow for whatever reason and making our way towards Benson

Oh, well do I feel stupid!

On another note, we’re in Arizona going pretty slow for whatever reason and making our way towards Benson
No worries, it was kind of a joke I expected our British friends to get. Pasties and burritos are similar in fillings, but not really the same thing. It wasn't supposed to be at your expense. ;)

No worries, it was kind of a joke I expected our British friends to get. Pasties and burritos are similar in fillings, but not really the same thing. It wasn't supposed to be at your expense. ;)
Got it

Sounds a good price for some non Amtrak food! Traditional Cornish pasties are said to be baked with a thick crust "handle" on one side so that miners at work could eat the main pasty with dirty hands. and throw away the crust.
I was reading a Bill Bryson book about his travels in the US, and he mentioned one area where "geuine Cornish Pasties" were sold. apparently an influx of Cornish miners started the fashion, back in the day.
Give me a nice meaty kebab instead, any day! :D

A UP manifest just passed us while we’re crawling. We were on time until benson. But now UP is being annoying.

Gotta say, I wouldn’t mind being delayed a few hours. Don’t wanna wake up at 4 am

Last update most likely.
We are just getting into maricopa right now. We ordered some burgers to be delivered at Tucson and enjoyed them in station. Watched us arrive on the railcam as well (and have updates ok it). Sadly we’re on time, maybe early, so that means an early wake up call tomorrow 😒. We’re packing most of our stuff now. Gonna miss traveling on the train, next trip is in a few weeks on the surfliner.

Last update most likely.
We are just getting into maricopa right now. We ordered some burgers to be delivered at Tucson and enjoyed them in station. Watched us arrive on the railcam as well (and have updates ok it). Sadly we’re on time, maybe early, so that means an early wake up call tomorrow 😒. We’re packing most of our stuff now. Gonna miss traveling on the train, next trip is in a few weeks on the surfliner.

First time I've heard of someone sad to be on time, but I hear what you're saying. I'd feel the exact same way.

Alright, I am home! (Not so) Quick summary of the morning.

So we ended up arriving at 6:22 AM, 50 minutes behind schedule. According to the conductor, who woke us up with an announcement at 5:30, signals around Yuma were having issues last night, and so we were late. I am not complaining, we were estimated to arrive shortly past 4 AM... no thank you!

We got off, and walked to the Metropolitan Lounge. Even though I've gone through LA Union, I've always gone to the Metropolitan lounge directly with red caps. And so this is the first time I've actually been in the station for a while. Chicago is far superior to me! The LA lounge is pretty small and feels old, the entrance from the station is very... underwhelming.

Personally, I like to keep the printed ticket(s) as a souvenir, unfortunately I had misplaced it. The lounge attendant printed up the Surfliner tickets, unfortunately couldn't print the SWC and TE tickets, which is understandable. As sort of a reimbursement, she gave us a Sunset Limited pin, unfortunately didn't get her name. We had to head to our track for the Surfliner.

While we were on our way, another Amtrak employee in a cart pulled up along side ours and asked if we were the ones with the missing ticket. We said yes, and he said they had found them I believe in the Metropolitan Lounge (just said lobby). Our train was departing in less than 5 minutes, so he rushed off to get them and we went to the train. We waited outside the doors, and with about a minute and a half before departure he came back. I got the tickets, tipped and thanked him, and we boarded. About a minute or less after we were on board, doors closed and they left.

Surfliner was smooth, and arrived in Fullerton a few minutes late. A relative picked us up.

Overall, had a great trip! 4993 more miles traversed by Amtrak!

Back