SWC or CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to post and share your suggestions and experiences. I have really enjoyed reading them and to be honest regardless of the train I am so looking forward to visiting the USA again and of course being back onboard Amtrak. I was going to change to the CZ as I note so many of you comment about the wonderful scenery however I have decided to stick with the SWC as I have a bedroom on this service and secondly reading some of the comments about the history etc of this route made me wish to experience it. One thing for sure on my next trip to the US I shall be making sure that I manage to fit the CZ into my plans. Really looking forward to my upcoming trip and I am thinking after a couple of days in LAX of jumping on the Coast Starlight to Emeryville. If taking that trip is it ok to do it in coach or business class? Your input has been invaluable and is greatly appreciated and I am already planning to be on the CZ sometime in 2023. I shall keep you all posted about my trip on the Cardinal and SWC.
Unless going all the way to Emeryville is to connect to the CZ the next morning, I would recommend just going to Oakland-Jack London. If you spend an extra day, take the ferry from Oakland into San Francisco. Return to LAX on the San Joaquin service. There are two good hotels within suitcase rolling distance from the OKJ station.

If you want to fly eastbound, just ride Train 14 to San Jose (SJC) and fly from there. There are lots of hotels to support that.

The main value of Business Class on Train 14 seems to be a quieter car and the chance to possibly have two seats to yourself.

But much as I enjoy the SF Bay Area, you may find that "doing" Los Angeles is enough this time. With the developing rail transit lines, it's getting easier to get around the City of Angels.

Unless going all the way to Emeryville is to connect to the CZ the next morning, I would recommend just going to Oakland-Jack London. If you spend an extra day, take the ferry from Oakland into San Francisco. Return to LAX on the San Joaquin service. There are two good hotels within suitcase rolling distance from the OKJ station.

If you want to fly eastbound, just ride Train 14 to San Jose (SJC) and fly from there. There are lots of hotels to support that.

The main value of Business Class on Train 14 seems to be a quieter car and the chance to possibly have two seats to yourself.

But much as I enjoy the SF Bay Area, you may find that "doing" Los Angeles is enough this time. With the developing rail transit lines, it's getting easier to get around the City of Angels.
Thank you @Willbridge for the insight and info into the best options if I travel on train 14 the CS. Lots of options to consider.

Back