SWC Stations Where You Can Mail Postcards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I enjoy sending postcards to friends, family and coworkers while on my Amtrak trips. I'll buy the Amtrak postcards and then desperately try to drop them into mailboxes at stations along the way. For my upcoming Southwest Chief trip, there don't appear to be too many opportunities...

• Chicago Union Station
  • Kansas City
  • Albuquerque
  • Flagstaff (only a 5-6 minute stop; mad dash, if I risk it)
  • Los Angeles Union Station

Am I missing any?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that any staffed station should work. Just ask the ticketperson if they wouldn't mind adding your postcards to their outgoing mail.

I enjoy sending postcards to friends, family and coworkers while on my Amtrak trips. I'll buy the Amtrak postcards and then desperately try to drop them into mailboxes at stations along the way. For my upcoming Southwest Chief trip, there don't appear to be too many opportunities...

• Chicago Union Station
  • Kansas City
  • Albuquerque
  • Flagstaff (only a 5-6 minute stop; mad dash, if I risk it)
  • Los Angeles Union Station

Am I missing any?
Well, you mentioned Kansas City already, but making KC even more convenient is the fact that there is a post office in the station (yes, it will be closed when you pass through Westbound, but there should be a dropbox)

When I was on the SWC a few years ago he was 30 minutes early into ABQ and they shut down the power. But I'd say ABQ is your best shot to do it. But don't go to far as the walk from the building to the train is long.

Steve

When I was on the SWC a few years ago he was 30 minutes early into ABQ and they shut down the power. But I'd say ABQ is your best shot to do it. But don't go to far as the walk from the building to the train is long.

Steve
Albuquerque is fine to mail a letter. The stop is almost an hour scheduled. You are encouraged to walk into the station, around the area, visit the Native American sellers lined up along the platform, etc.

La Junta gives you plenty of time as well.There is a mail box right in front of the station on the street side (it's a tiny station).

I'd pass on Flagstaff. There are usually a lot of people getting on and off and the stop is always as short as they can make it.

If you are early into Kansas City and have at least 20 minutes, then that is fine. There is a post office in the restored Union Station, to your right after you go up from the train platform, along a long outside corridor into building and past the Amtrak counter and small waiting room into the spacious main hall. The post office is at the end of the big hall after you turn right. But unless you run both ways, allow at least 20 minutes to make the roundtrip if you want to mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back