SWC to CS Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling CHI-LAX-ALY this weekend on the SWC to CS in roomettes. I know that the connection can be tight. My concern is if the SWC is late and there is very little time to board the CS is there Amtrak personnel to help direct passengers. If have never been through Los Angeles Amtrak Station and just need assurance that someone will point me in the right direction. Thanks.

When this happens @ LAX there will be Amtrak staff directing folks transferring to the CS.

You'll have to go down the exit from your platform, down the Tunnel and up to the Platform where the CS Loads!

Sometimes it's a very tight connection ) as in All Aboard/Toot!Toot!)

Other times there's time to go to the Metro Lounge, or get a Red Cap, but they are in short supply when the LD trains are boarding/detraining @ the same time?

The Chief used to have one of the Best OTPs, now it's a crap shoot, but it is a guaranteed connection even if you're very late, and have to ride a Bus and a San Joaquin Trains chasing the Starlight to Martinez! ( this sucks!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a tight connector last fall. My SCA directed me to go down the ramp and up another ramp. Being hard of hearing I'm not sure if she told me exactly where the up ramp was. When I got in the tunnel I saw an Amtrak employee and asked him. He sent me up the right ramp. The train was pulling in when I got up there.

Several weeks ago we (#3) were 3 hours late into LA. Before arrival, the several announcements were made describing what to do, where to go, etc. depending how far north your travels were taking you on the CS.

Up to SLO you would be put on the next Pacific Surfliner. Up to Salinas, San Jose, etc. Surfliner up to Santa Barbara then Thruway bus further north. Beyond the bay area to the north (sounds like your situation) it was bus to Bakersfield then a San Joaquin to Sacramento (or Martinez), I believe, to board the Coast Starlight. You might seek out a Red Cap to help you get to the proper place at LA Union Station for your particular connection.

Several weeks ago we (#3) were 3 hours late into LA.

it was bus to Bakersfield then a San Joaquin to Sacramento (or Martinez), I believe, to board the Coast Starlight.
Pray this doesn't happen. That ranks right up there with Kalamath Falls-Pasco for crappy bustitutions.

I've been there when the SWC pulled on the opposite side of the platform just as the CS was boarding -- connecting passengers just had to walk 20 feet across the platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back