Switching Rooms -- A Challenge in Futility

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any particular roomette in trans/dorm you like over others? How about the engine noise?
It depends on the train. If you're on the Texas Eagle/City of New Orleans, you're directly behind the locomotive, so the horn is quite loud. I had earplugs in and headphones on and still didn't get much sleep.

I've been on other trains that have two locomotives and a baggage car ahead of the transdorm. It's amazing what having two cars between the lead locomotive and the transdorm can do for noise. I still needed earplugs, but that's because I'm a ridiculously light sleeper. I could just barely hear the horn when I had my earplugs in. It was hardly noticeable, sort of like a train horn off in the distance when you're sleeping at home.

Sarah, the CONO now has a baggage car so crew dorm is behind the baggage car followed by the revenue sleeper. I can still hear the horn in the revenue sleeper but not after I fall asleep.

Oh good! The last time I was on it was 2014. I wasn't aware it had changed.

It changed sometime in 2015 as the new baggage cars were introduced. They had the old type first and then were among the last to get the new baggage cars. None of that helps the down grading of the dinning car staff and menu.

TE has a Baggage Car as well so yes you can hear the horn during the day, but once asleep it is not an issue. I like the quiet since I enjoy reading as I glance out the window, though I have traveled the TE and CL and LSL so much I do more reading than watching the scenery. Even reading the horn has never bothered me.

While in the transition dorm, are you allowed to visit the lower level of that car?

You enter and exit the car from the lower level. There is a lower level area the crew can meet/sit with bathrooms on the other side plus an "H" room. Generally, I am upstairs walking to the DC or SSL or if poor weather to the rear back to the front for exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back