Taking 90 Palmetto from Philadelphia to New York?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fhussain44

Train Attendant
My event gets done around 930PM in Philly so want to take the 955PM Palmetto to NYP. Is this train often late? If so, how much on average. Can I board the next regional train at 10:39 if it's delayed more than 40 minutes? I will probably be booking this ticket with Amtrak guest reward points..

My event gets done around 930PM in Philly so want to take the 955PM Palmetto to NYP. Is this train often late? If so, how much on average. Can I board the next regional train at 10:39 if it's delayed more than 40 minutes? I will probably be booking this ticket with Amtrak guest reward points..
To board a different train you will need to change the ticket for accommodation on that train.

Palmetto 90 generally seems to do quite OK as far as OTP goes at Philadelphia.

Thanks! Seems the chance of 1+ hour delay is rare but possibe ( ~5-10% chance ). Is there some official Amtrak policy that will let me change my ticket to the next regional train which departs earlier? What happens if I just board the next train and show the conductor my "wrong" ticket?

Thanks! Seems the chance of 1+ hour delay is rare but possibe ( ~5-10% chance ). Is there some official Amtrak policy that will let me change my ticket to the next regional train which departs earlier? What happens if I just board the next train and show the conductor my "wrong" ticket?
Theyll tell you to Change it, or Buy another One!

Theyll tell you to Change it, or Buy another One!

Doesn't make much sense as it's their responsibility to get me to my destination on time. I have the ticket and it's not my fault their train is delayed. So what happens if I plain refuse to buy another ticket? Or if I try to change it but get put on hold for a long time? And will Amtrak Guest Rewards even let me change it given the situation?

Doesn't make much sense as it's their responsibility to get me to my destination on time. I have the ticket and it's not my fault their train is delayed. So what happens if I plain refuse to buy another ticket? Or if I try to change it but get put on hold for a long time? And will Amtrak Guest Rewards even let me change it given the situation?
See my answer above! No correct ticket, No Train ride!

Conductors don't want to do Tickets now!!!

See my answer above! No correct ticket, No Train ride!

Conductors don't want to do Tickets now!!!
So if the train is many hours late I am expected to patiently wait at the station while regional trains go by every hour that would take me to NYP? I doubt even trains in North Korea have such a barbaric policy..

Why not just take the 10:39 regional?

If your event ends at 9:30 and the Palmetto is on time, that’s not much time to get to the station.

Or better yet, stay overnight in Philadelphia and take any convenient train the next day.

That way you also avoid dealing with either city at night, except for getting a taxi or Lyft or Uber from your event to a hotel.

I love Philadelphia but never go out there after rush hour and certainly would not in New York City.

If you have enough vacation days, take the next day off.

Whatever you do, do not board the train with the wrong ticket. You do not want to get thrown off at the next stop, which is Trenton, New Jersey, and you do not want to be there at night.

Why not just take the 10:39 regional?

If your event ends at 9:30 and the Palmetto is on time, that’s not much time to get to the station.

Or better yet, stay overnight in Philadelphia and take any convenient train the next day.

That way you also avoid dealing with either city at night, except for getting a taxi or Lyft or Uber from your event to a hotel.

I love Philadelphia but never go out there after rush hour and certainly would not in New York City.

If you have enough vacation days, take the next day off.

My event is just 10 minute walk from Philly station. If money grows on trees, for sure I would consider staying the night :)

My event is just 10 minute walk from Philly station. If money grows on trees, for sure I would consider staying the night :)

Yes, I can understand that.

But definitely at least take a taxi or Lyft/Uber to the station at that time of the night.

I still think the 10:39 regional gives you a little more time to make the train easily. There’s nothing very special about the Palmetto—it just looks like a longer regional.

And PHL is a beautiful station to wait in.

Can you get a taxi or Lyft/Uber in New York to avoid having to be out there in the city at night?

But definitely at least take a taxi or Lyft/Uber to the station at that time of the night.

I still think the 10:39 regional gives you a little more time to make the train easily. There’s nothing very special about the Palmetto—it just looks like a longer regional.

Can you get a taxi or Lyft/Uber in New York to avoid having to be out there in the city at night?

Thanks, but I have no concerns about walking at late night. The 10:39 is too late and whose to say it may be delayed as well? The Palmetto gets me to NYC at a reasonable time ..

The question isn't how the OP is getting to/from the station, the question is whether they can board a different train if their original one is delayed.

Usually, the answer is no. In the event of extreme delays, they are perhaps a bit more likely to be reasonable in offering the ticket switch. I'd say it's best to try to do so in person at the ticket window, assuming you get there in time (the ticket windows are open until 9:45 per Amtrak.com, so very little wiggle room; but you'll have a definite idea of any potential delays). An experienced agent at the station might be able to use some common sense judgment in changing your ticket to the new train (but, then again, if paying with points, I don't know if that transaction can be done in person).

Doesn't make much sense as it's their responsibility to get me to my destination on time.

Amtrak's responsibility is to get you to your destination. There is nothing in their contract of carriage (or, really, any transportation carrier) about "on time."

As for comparing it to North Korea, I'm not sure what that hyperbole accomplishes, but if you think you'd be happier riding trains there instead, then by all means...

So if the train is many hours late I am expected to patiently wait at the station while regional trains go by every hour that would take me to NYP? I doubt even trains in North Korea have such a barbaric policy..
Neither Northeast Regionals, nor the Palmetto are unreserved. Tickets are only valid for the train they're issued for. Deal with it.

Philly has a ticket counter, you can swap tickets if you have a cash ticket, not sure about AGR. The regular call center is open 24/7, the AGR line isn't. You're going to have more flexibility to change it with a cash ticket, and a piddly PHL-NYP ticket seems a waste of AGR points to me in any case, but you do what suits you. Of course, you can also sit in the station and bemoan your fate while Regionals leave, not having made an attempt to get yourself reticketed, too.

If you don't want to deal with increased schedule uncertainty, take a Regional or an Acela. If you like the Palmetto's times and are willing to risk more uncertainty due to a longer run and one under CSX dispatching, do that. Those are your choices. Pick one.

Last edited:
Amtrak's responsibility is to get you to your destination. There is nothing in their contract of carriage (or, really, any transportation carrier) about "on time."

So they expect me to wait hours upon hours for a train while other trains go by that would take me to my destination? When this happens on airlines they automatically rebook you on the next available flight. Surprised by the attitude of folks responding here who imply this is my problem and not Amtraks..

So they expect me to wait hours upon hours for a train while other trains go by that would take me to my destination? When this happens on airlines they automatically rebook you on the next available flight. Surprised by the attitude of folks responding here who imply this is my problem and not Amtraks..

Airlines don't automatically rebook you on the next available flight, unless your original flight is cancelled. You can ask a gate agent to rebook you, and they might if space is available. But it's not automatic. Otherwise, you wait for your ticketed flight.

Likewise, you can stop by the ticket window at 30th Street and make the same request. And if your train is "hours upon hours" late, they will almost certainly accommodate. If it's 10 minutes behind, they may not.

What happens if I just board the next train and show the conductor my "wrong" ticket?
I believe the appropriate phrase is "Fool around and find out."

Your ticket will return as invalid upon scanning. They might have mercy and let you stay onboard despite that, knowing you have paid a fare that will belong to Amtrak anyway, technically as a no show forfeiture instead of transportation.

They also might detrain you in Trenton, NJ.

Last edited:
No. You are expected to change the ticket to a more suitable train and take it. It has nothing to do with North Korea. When you have all reserved trains that is what happens.

Amtrak could automatically offer to change the ticket like some more capable airlines do, but at present it does not.

I'll add my two cents here and although I only took it once from Savannah to DC, it arrive earlier making up lost time in between. I was more than pleasantly surprised.

Likewise, you can stop by the ticket window at 30th Street and make the same request. And if your train is "hours upon hours" late, they will almost certainly accommodate. If it's 10 minutes behind, they may not.

Surely there must be some official policy on when they will accommodate you or not. Seems strange to rely on the mood of the ticket agent. And since I am using AGR points I am not sure they can do anything anyway.. Also it may not be an option as the agents booth closes around 945PM which is just when I will be getting to the station..

I believe the appropriate phrase is "Fool around and find out."

Your ticket will return as invalid upon scanning. They might have mercy and let you stay onboard despite that, knowing you have paid a fare that will belong to Amtrak anyway, technically as a no show forfeiture instead of transportation.

They also might detrain you in Trenton, NJ.

It's odd that the options are all rather extreme, i.e pay full bucket fare, let it slide, or force you off the train.. Surprised there is no official policy on this. For sure I am not the first person to do this as the regional trains run every hour every day ..

It's odd that the options are all rather extreme, i.e pay full bucket fare, let it slide, or force you off the train.. Surprised there is no official policy on this. For sure I am not the first person to do this as the regional trains run every hour every day ..
Officially you get put off the train at the next stop.

Surely there must be some official policy on when they will accommodate you or not. Seems strange to rely on the mood of the ticket agent. And since I am using AGR points I am not sure they can do anything anyway.. Also it may not be an option as the agents booth closes around 945PM which is just when I will be getting to the station..
AGR points or not, they can always toss you off the train at the next stop for not having the right ticket. They may be kind enough not to do so. Unless you pick a fight with them they will often allow you to call Amtrak Reservation to get your ticket corrected before they scan it. Then again you can proactively call Amtrak Reservation and have the ticket changed before boarding the train too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back