Talgo train withdrawn??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

access bob

Lead Service Attendant
just got a phone call from Amtrak a few minutes ago informing me that the Seattle-Vancouver train (#510/517) has had the Talgo equipment replaced by superliners until the end of the year.

anyone know the particulars.

Bob

Haven't learned the particulars yet this time. Last time the Talgos were pulled, August-October, 2007, it was due to cracks discovered in welds on the carbody structure suspension support system (try saying that fast 3 times).

The cracks were determined to be the result of welding techniques used in the manufacturing process, and repairs were done by Talgo (Spanish manufacturer) under warranty.

Haven't learned the particulars yet this time. Last time the Talgos were pulled, August-October, 2007, it was due to cracks discovered in welds on the carbody structure suspension support system (try saying that fast 3 times).
The cracks were determined to be the result of welding techniques used in the manufacturing process, and repairs were done by Talgo (Spanish manufacturer) under warranty.
apparently it is only the one trainset that is withdrawn. Amtrak called to tell me one of my reservations would be on superliner rather than Talgo equipment, I have another trip from Portland to Seattle and they said that was still running talgos

first time I ever had Amtrak call just to tell me the equipment scheduled is changed???

usually I know when the train pulls into the platform.?

Bob

I think was is happening is that the SEA-VAC run has been using Superliner equipment instead of a Talgo while they are in for scheduled work, but apparently it has been extended. All the rest of the Cascades are still using Talgos.

I don't think the Superliners used have Business Class, so maybe that could be why they called. (But I could be wrong.)

Yes, this is an ongoing project to refurbish all the Talgo equipment. One trainset is taken out of service for this project, and the Superliner set was assigned to the Vancouver run for the duration.

Yes, this is an ongoing project to refurbish all the Talgo equipment. One trainset is taken out of service for this project, and the Superliner set was assigned to the Vancouver run for the duration.
To hell with the Talgos, all of them!

I'd rather take a Superliner any day of the week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a

So you're the person I have to blame.

Seriously, what was wrong with the Amcans? They work fine on the Northeast Corridor, why not the Northwest?

At least the Superliners will put the Sounders to shame- those Sounders are really nice when you get down to it...

Is this a

I didn't have anything to do with the decision to buy them, just helped make the changes that brought them into compliance with some of the American laws.

the Amcans are nice but no more Budd, would be stuck with Herizons

Bob

Although one may think the Talgo cars are ugly, it's hard to find that Amfleet cars are the paragon of beauty.

What makes the Talgo wonderful for the Northwest has to do with the fact that they tilt, not their styling.

Although one may think the Talgo cars are ugly, it's hard to find that Amfleet cars are the paragon of beauty.
What makes the Talgo wonderful for the Northwest has to do with the fact that they tilt, not their styling.
The Talgos are Nice Trains. They give a good ride and are comfortable. The special regional menus in the Buffet Car are very tasty, with local brews available. And it's fun to follow the location on the Video Monitor by GPS.

How much faster are the Talgos allowed than the other passenger trains i.e. Starlight, Sounder? and is it the tilt mechanism or the low-profile that allows this?

I personally love the look of the Talgos not to mention they are painted to match the surroundings they run through.

They have much bigger windows than Amfleets, so I think they are vastly superior to Amfleets and horizon cars. Superliners have more legroom, and those windows are big too, so it would be a matter of personal taste on that one.

How much faster are the Talgos allowed than the other passenger trains i.e. Starlight, Sounder? and is it the tilt mechanism or the low-profile that allows this?
they can't run any faster than 79mph nor can any other train without train control, BUT they can go around curves at significantly higher speeds and the lighter weight allows higher acceleration rates. the're total end to end time is less than a conventionally equiped train.

BTW, the tilting has no effect on how fast the equipment can go around curves, but it has a significant effect on how passengers on the train can go around the curves.

Bob

When I rode the cascade from Vancouver, BC to Seattle in May they were using Superliner equipment. Personally, I had wanted to sample one of the Talgo's on this run but didn't happen. The Superliners they are using are pretty worn and ragged out. Seat backs don't recline properly, footrests are broken and on our car the rest room was out of service.

BTW, the tilting has no effect on how fast the equipment can go around curves, but it has a significant effect on how passengers on the train can go around the curves.
This is to say that, in conventional equipment, they'd go slower around the curve. The reasoning is not technical, but a question of passenger comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back