Teen Runner Struck, Killed by SW Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunNut

Service Attendant
I live part-time near Rowe NM. This article is in this evening's online edition of the local Santa Fe paper.

http://www.santafene...illed-by-train-

I cross over this track every single time I drive to town (to pick up my mail at the Rowe post office or go to nearby Pecos or Santa Fe), a couple of times a week. There are several dirt roads that cross the track, the village is small and the track runs right down the middle of the little community. We are very very careful when we drive across this track, the only train traffic is the daily SW Chief, one in each direction. We always make a full stop at the crossing (which has lights but no gates) no matter what time of day it is, and look both ways, since we know the trains could be off schedule. The trains in both directions pass Rowe at about 2pm daily, I would think that everyone in the village would know this. The train sounds the horn almost continuously as it passes through the village, usually at a speed I would guess to be 50 mph.

It's truly stupefying that this teenager was running right on the track at 2pm in the afternoon. I'm at a loss for words. This is the third tragedy to hit this area in the past two weeks. Just a few days ago a toddler was killed a few miles away when she was ejected from the car as it rolled over on the interstate, obviously she was not restrained in a car seat. And prior to that a local man kidnapped his wife and child, then got in a shoot-out with the police and committed suicide - at least that's the conclusion as of now.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this teen girl, and to the engineer and first responders. We know many of the local responders since we are members of the local volunteer fire department.

I don't even know what to say... what really baffles me is why was she running there in the first place? Like.. if your running for the exercise, train tracks are not really comfortable to run on.. all the rocks and ties and what not... seems like a stupid idea just because of that. Oh and also.. it's trespassing on private property. Oh.. and its also quite dangerous.

Yeah, this one hurts. Obviously a very stupid decision, by an otherwise bright, young individual. My heart goes out to the victim's family, and the engine crew of the SWC.

Doesn't seem like a "gene-pool" incident, just a really, really, really, bad decision.

I had the misfortune of being on the train at the time. My understanding is that the road that runs along the track in that section was muddy from melting snow, so authorities speculate the young lady chose to run between the rails, at least part of the way. On my return yesterday I looked over the part of the road bed and it was indeed muddy along the sides.

It was a real tragedy and one of those "bad decision" situations for sure. The Amtrak crew acted admirably and professionally through it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back