Tehachapi Detour!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the notice wasn't really clear...it only affects those departing on the 27th from the north end of the route traveling overnight beyond Oakland...and those departing that end on the 29th should be on the regular on the 30th. In other words....11(27 and 28), and 14(28 and 29)....does that sound right?

I just got the phone notice today and it said both northbound and southbound and the dates. The impression that gave was all Coast Starlight trains on the 27th, 28th, and 29th. However, that may be a bit more of a blanket than it really is. That announcement is also only going out to those passengers who are affected, so if they don't call people on 14 on the 27th, they won't be confused. As I said above, my understanding is the work window does not go into effect until after the outbound rush hour on the 27th.

I haven't seen a general service advisory on this posted on Amtrak.com either. Everything I have gotten is because I am an affected passenger
default_smile.png
, not as a general announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a general service advisory on this posted on Amtrak.com either. Everything I have gotten is because I am an affected passenger
default_smile.png
, not as a general announcement.
The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time. For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth), and for Coast Starlight:

**Coast Starlight Train 11 April 27 - 29 and Train 14 April 28 - 29

**These trains will detour between Oakland and Los Angeles and will not make stops at San Jose, Salinas, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard, Simi Valley, Van Nuys and Burbank. Passengers traveling to those destinations can use local travel services.

** Trains 11 and 14 may incur up to 60-minute delays on the detour route.

** Bus 4011 will connect with Train 11 and will operate between Oakland and San Luis Obispo, making intermediate station stops at San Jose, Salinas and Paso Robles.

The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time. For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth)...

Looks like the Surfliner will use a Bus Bridge. Checking 4/28, LAX to Goleta... the route now includes a Bus from Chatsworth to Oxnard (for certain runs), or a Bus from Chatsworth to Goleta (for other runs).

Always something new!

The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time. For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth)...

Looks like the Surfliner will use a Bus Bridge. Checking 4/28, LAX to Goleta... the route now includes a Bus from Chatsworth to Oxnard (for certain runs), or a Bus from Chatsworth to Goleta (for other runs).

Always something new!
I'm actually a bit surprised they bothered. With the bridge work down near San Diego they weren't offering any alternative transportation for a couple of the weekends the line was closed. I actually find that unacceptable and am happy to see there will be buses available.

My understanding is Metrolink is putting a hard work window that starts after the Friday rush hour (9 pm?). If 11 is on time, it would make it through before the work window, but if it ran late, it might be stranded short of LA, so they are detouring it.

My understanding is Metrolink is putting a hard work window that starts after the Friday rush hour (9 pm?). If 11 is on time, it would make it through before the work window, but if it ran late, it might be stranded short of LA, so they are detouring it.
Today the Service Advisory states:

"Southern California Service will be affected between Oxnard and Chatsworth

Track work being performed from 10 pm on Friday, April 27 through 1 am on Monday, April 30 will affect Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight service on the dates indicated below."

Just checked in to my hotel...so far, so good...

I plan to take the hotel shuttle back to LAX at 0600, and then catch a Flyaway bus to Union Station...

OS 14 28 APR DP LAX 10:15 AM 5 Min late RMK:

5 Brake Test

Last edited by a moderator:
Back