Temperature in Sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
I'm riding a Cardinal at the beginning of Dec. I never rode Amtrak in December. Is the heating units in the roomettes functional? Should I still wear layers of clothes?

I'm riding a Cardinal at the beginning of Dec. I never rode Amtrak in December. Is the heating units in the roomettes functional? Should I still wear layers of clothes?
It can vary. I have been too warm in a sleeper and too cold in a sleeper. Certainly travel with layers.

How are the blankets? Should I bring my own thicker blanket?
I think Amtrak's blankets are fine. I have never needed more than one, although I have been offered an extra. Others may bring their own blankets in sleepers, but I never have.

Come prepared for anything. Sometimes they are too hot; sometimes too cold, and it doesn’t necessarily match the season. I always have a turtleneck with me in summer and a shortsleeved shirt in winter.
I’m not sure the temperature controls ever function. I was in a new Viewliner last year, asked the SCA why the knob wasn’t working and he said “it’s all centrally controlled.” Why you would engineer a new train car with a temperature control knob that serves no use, I don’t know.
The blankets seem very warm to me.

My standard response to temps on Amtrak:

If you are normally cold, you will be cold.
If you are normally hot, you will be hot.

I am normally hot, so I bring a fan. But I am prepared for it to be too cold. Where you are in a roomette, they have blankets that you can use.

Jim

Earlier this year - March. I traveled on the Cardinal, City of New Orleans, and the Crescent in a roomette. I was cold most of the time. The temperature on the thermostat frequently indicated the room temperature was 62. Sleeping was difficult with a strong cold draft. The car attendants indicated that they could not turn the heat up because the other passengers would be too hot. This is not a good reason in my mind. I was always told that 72 was the norm for an indoor temperature. I prefer train travel, but not in a refrigerator. The thermostats did not seem to do anything. I hope more considerate car attendants would remedy this situation.

Earlier this year - March. I traveled on the Cardinal, City of New Orleans, and the Crescent in a roomette. I was cold most of the time. The temperature on the thermostat frequently indicated the room temperature was 62. Sleeping was difficult with a strong cold draft. The car attendants indicated that they could not turn the heat up because the other passengers would be too hot. This is not a good reason in my mind. I was always told that 72 was the norm for an indoor temperature. I prefer train travel, but not in a refrigerator. The thermostats did not seem to do anything. I hope more considerate car attendants would remedy this situation.
72 is warm. When too warm there's nothing one can do. Cooler people can layer.

Back