Temporary Schedule Changes on Account of CSX Trackwork

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notelvis

Conductor
The NCDOT has posted the message linked below to its' 'bytrain.org' website detailing how Amtrak Schedules for the Carolinian, Palmetto, and nortbound Silver Star will be impacted due to CSX trackwork October 14 - November 14. Presumably this trackwork will be taking place on the former ACL line between Richmond and Selma, NC as that is where these schedule changes will open the largest work windows.

In an unrelated item being discussed in the North Carolina rail funding threat, the message does specifically say that trains 79 & 80 (Carolinian) as well as trains 73, 74, 75 & 76 (The Piedmonts) will operate on their normal schedules between Charlotte and Raleigh during the work period.

http://www.bytrain.org/docs/CSXTrckWrk.pdf

Wow, running 6 hours early for the 92, could really screw up a few passengers.

Actually has already screwed me up.

I was hoping to catch #92 from Raleigh to Baltimore on October 19th and come back on #79 on the 21st.

With 92 leaving at 2:29am during this 30-day work window and #79 not operating north of Raleigh on the 21st, I'll be flying this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is the culprit! Here in another discussion it was speculated that SunRail work in Florida may be what's screwed up the Star/Meteor schedules over this period.

Unfortunately: although NCDOT will operate a bus to replace 79/80 between Raleigh and Selma/Wilson/Rocky Mount for the 30 days, the southbound bus does not connect from 89 which is running four hours off its usual schedule. The northbound bus, however, does connect to 90 -- if you are willing to wait.

Well, they published the revised sched for 92, but just said 90 will operate 1 + 40 late, and 89 4hrs later. Wish they would print expected times...Looks like I could jump on 90 in Sav. and go a bit farther than FAY and still return in one day...CJ

Kind of - just looking at 10/18 on the Amtrak website for an example -

90 leaving Savannah at 10:00am would take you to Rocky Mount arriving at 4:39pm.

89 leaves Rocky Mount at 5:52pm but doesn't arrive in Savannah until 12:53am.

People returning from a cruise, into Miami, at the usual 9am time frame, might find it more difficult to catch a north-bound train that already left at 7:30am, than at the expected 11:50am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back