"Testing" Wi-Fi on the Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHC

Service Attendant
Rode the Starlight this weekend. They were "testing" a new Wi-Fi system on the train, and were asking passengers if they had laptops to try it out. I only overheard one passenger report, and she said it was "spotty".

Also, the movie theatre in the Parlour Car no longer uses a DVD player. There is now a new system that downloads "content" from a Satellite and plays it continuously on the theatre screen. Movies automatically started at 2pm and 8pm, and in between there was documentaries, entertainment spots, etc. There was a "content loading" status bar at the bottom of the screen as it was downloading the 8pm movie.

I'm assuming this satellite connection is the same connection that they were using for the Wi-Fi service.

Rode the Starlight this weekend. They were "testing" a new Wi-Fi system on the train, and were asking passengers if they had laptops to try it out. I only overheard one passenger report, and she said it was "spotty".
Also, the movie theatre in the Parlour Car no longer uses a DVD player. There is now a new system that downloads "content" from a Satellite and plays it continuously on the theatre screen. Movies automatically started at 2pm and 8pm, and in between there was documentaries, entertainment spots, etc. There was a "content loading" status bar at the bottom of the screen as it was downloading the 8pm movie.

I'm assuming this satellite connection is the same connection that they were using for the Wi-Fi service.
The internet is almost undoubtably cellular based. Moving data of any type by satellite is very, very, very expensive and not particularly fast. The reason why it was spotty was probably the cellular coverage.

The video content wasn't "downloaded" from the satellite either, at least not in the sense of "downloaded over the internet." It's likely some sort of setup where the satellite feed is recorded and then played back, much like a DVR. Maybe I'm being technical, but I would refer to my DVR as "downloading" a movie off my cable connection - it's recording it. The "content loading" was probably the data being retrieved from the DVR.

Also, are you sure it was satellite based and not pre-recordered?

Also, are you sure it was satellite based and not pre-recordered?

Not sure. They just announced that it was all automated, and there were "content loading" bars at the bottom of the screen in between the movies when it was showing the entertainment/documentary spots.

I did not ask for specific details on how it worked.

Actually, I can believe it was satellite based, some airlines, southwest and alaska airlines being one of them, are installing satellite wifi. There is a provider that the airlines use to service the planes. So it is possible and affordable, as private companies are taking advantage of it. I'm drawing a blank on what the provider is called. So I can believe Amtrak is using that service. The only thing that confuses me is why Amtrak would stream the entertainment. What if there was terrible weather? It would disrupt the entertainment feed. The service is Row44, I provided a link below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I can believe it was sattelite based, some airlines, southwest and airtran being one of them, are installing sattelite wifi. There is a provider that the airlines use to service the planes. So it is possible and affordable, as private companies are taking advantage of it. I'm drawing a blank on what the provider is called. So I can believe Amtrak is using that service. The only thing that confuses me is why Amtrak would stream the entertainment. What if there was terrible weather, it would disrupt the entertainment feed.
It's very rare for any industry to choose the satellite based option for Internet, especially if it's a shared connection. The systems being deployed on the US airliners are also terrestrial based systems. A strategically located system of ground systems to support the common airline routes. Each plane is outfitted with antennas that send/receive the data versus an expensive satellite tracking system on each plane.

So they are showing things in the lounge throughout the day, not just movie time? That'd be a nice addition, the space seemed to be fairly underused, be a nice diversion for the folks that don't want to spend their time looking at scenery. Were the in-between programs any good?

It's very rare for any industry to choose the satellite based option for Internet, especially if it's a shared connection. The systems being deployed on the US airliners are also terrestrial based systems. A strategically located system of ground systems to support the common airline routes. Each plane is outfitted with antennas that send/receive the data versus an expensive satellite tracking system on each plane.
Yup. Gogo, the internet on Virgin America, is ground-based. Can't speak for other airlines, I didn't pay for Virgin's to try it, and I'm unlikely to fly again so I really can't say much about this :)

Were the in-between programs any good?
The only one I saw that was playing while the 8:00pm movie was "loading" was a documentary on Tyler Perry and his plays and movies.

Some guy was fast asleep and snoring in one of the chairs.

Harry Potter 23 (or whatever number they're up to) was playing earlier in the day. Julie & Julia was the 8:00pm movie...

My guess is that Amtrak is using this: Row 44. It is a satellite based internet and movie streaming system. Alaska Airlines (not airtran, as I said in the above post) and Southwest are using this service. The services that it provides fits exactly what the op is describing. It is a relatively new entry into the US market as it only got approval in August. This service provides the on board entertainment and internet. An antenna mounted on the plane (car in this case) grabs the signal, and a router distributes it to the individuals.

Isn't satellite internet much slower then say 3g? I used it a few times aboard ships, and it took a couple minutes to load each page :eek: granted this Row 44 might be faster, but cellular based Wi-Fi seems to make the most sense.

Isn't satellite internet much slower then say 3g? I used it a few times aboard ships, and it took a couple minutes to load each page :eek: granted this Row 44 might be faster, but cellular based Wi-Fi seems to make the most sense.
Actually, Satellite internet can be quite fast, my uncle had it, and it was very fast. It depends on the provider and how much money you spend. More $=faster speeds. I don't know how much money amtrak is putting in. The one benefit to satellite is that in some areas where LD trains go, there is no cell coverage, so they need the satellites. If it wasn't for that, I would say Amtrak should just go with a cell based service (as long as it isn't AT&T). That at least, is proven technology.

I'm glad to hear that wi-fi might finally make it onboard. Last Christmas, I rode Amtrak from Boston to Chicago to Newton, KS. It was a great trip, but I felt like I was stuck in an informational black hole. I had no idea where I was or what my surroundings meant.

As part of a school project, I created a short video prototype of a device that would shed light on your surroundings and improve the long-rail experience in general -

I called the device the "Infosphere", but a wi-fi enabled laptop (maybe an iPad) could achieve the same results for travelers. I'd be interested to hear what Amtrak staff and riders think about the idea.

Of course, my number one goal is for Amtrak to add more routes (Wichita, KS!). But improving the rider experience should also be high on the minds of Amtrak executives.

I'm glad to hear that wi-fi might finally make it onboard. Last Christmas, I rode Amtrak from Boston to Chicago to Newton, KS. It was a great trip, but I felt like I was stuck in an informational black hole. I had no idea where I was or what my surroundings meant.
As part of a school project, I created a short video prototype of a device that would shed light on your surroundings and improve the long-rail experience in general -

Very well done video. A very interesting concept.

I personally just have a GPS receiver that hooks up to my laptop that provides the current location.

We discussed GPS before in another thread, but has anyone used the Delorme TOPO or STREETS product AND used it with the satellite Imagery as opposed to JUST the maps? I noticed that option while using my Delorme on the CL and CONO a few weeks ago. Would have been GREAT to have it track over actual sat images, as opposed to the map.

Was the WIFI available on the whole train? Or just the PPC?

By the way, it very well could be the WIFI is one system and the movies is another. That could mean cellular for WIFI and satellite foe the DVR. Don't know that, but seems logical to me.

Hmmm this IS a really good idea, kind of like the Microsoft SURFACE tables, but have them conx to satellite, and the most important aspect would be to SECURE them from theft.

But how cool would that be in the lounge car, with content-rich data, based upon WHERE you were on the route...

Microsoft SURFACE at Hard Rock Cafe

Actually, Satellite internet can be quite fast, my uncle had it, and it was very fast. It depends on the provider and how much money you spend. More $=faster speeds. I don't know how much money amtrak is putting in. The one benefit to satellite is that in some areas where LD trains go, there is no cell coverage, so they need the satellites. If it wasn't for that, I would say Amtrak should just go with a cell based service (as long as it isn't AT&T). That at least, is proven technology.
Yes, in the midwest Hughes sells a satellite internet service that uses ground service for the uplink (i.e. what you type into your browser, as opposed to what comes back down). This gives you good downstream feed strength, but the uploads are basically the same as a old fashioned telephone modem, since that's basically what you have for that let. Doing something similar with cellular for your downlink would have similar quirks. Plus aircraft don't go through tunnels. But something, however challenged, would beat nothing, and in a future setting if you had a server on the train and cached some content - train information, current news, some entertainment options - it could still be a decent performer.

Again not sure. I was in the PPC when I was asked if I had a laptop, and the woman who gave the feedback was also using her laptop in the PPC. I'm not sure if it was available on the whole train. Would a Wi-Fi signal travel and be available the length of the train?

Also, the customer service manager also said that in the future there will be a $5.00 charge to use the Wi-Fi on board, if the "tests" are successful and they go forward with it.

Again not sure. I was in the PPC when I was asked if I had a laptop, and the woman who gave the feedback was also using her laptop in the PPC. I'm not sure if it was available on the whole train. Would a Wi-Fi signal travel and be available the length of the train?

Also, the customer service manager also said that in the future there will be a $5.00 charge to use the Wi-Fi on board, if the "tests" are successful and they go forward with it.
Booooooo. Amtrak charging for the wifi. Can they at least make it free for sleeper pax?

Booooooo. Amtrak charging for the wifi. Can they at least make it free for sleeper pax?
I agree. Sleeper pax are already paying more for "First Class Service". It should be included as an amenity.

They already charge $5 for the wine tasting for the Sleeper pax.

I agree. Sleeper pax are already paying more for "First Class Service". It should be included as an amenity.

Well, somewhere up the food chain, somebody's going to have to pay for it, and it's ultimately the consumer that pays.

I think that the days of the free Internet are coming to an end. I don't know when, but I'm pretty sure that it will end. The New York Times is already working on a setup to charge for reading the paper on the Internet, and I think that Jan 2011 is the due date.

Wireless is great, but someone has to foot the bill, and ultimately it will probably be the consumer, either in the form of an extra use fee, or a higher price for the room on the train.

I can kick and scream, fling myself on the floor and kick my hands and feet, and stuff beans in my nose. But, ultimately, if I want it, I'm going to have to pay for it. What ever happened to the "free lunch?" :lol:

Well, somewhere up the food chain, somebody's going to have to pay for it, and it's ultimately the consumer that pays.

I think that the days of the free Internet are coming to an end. I don't know when, but I'm pretty sure that it will end. The New York Times is already working on a setup to charge for reading the paper on the Internet, and I think that Jan 2011 is the due date.

Wireless is great, but someone has to foot the bill, and ultimately it will probably be the consumer, either in the form of an extra use fee, or a higher price for the room on the train.

I can kick and scream, fling myself on the floor and kick my hands and feet, and stuff beans in my nose. But, ultimately, if I want it, I'm going to have to pay for it. What ever happened to the "free lunch?" :lol:
Wasn't throwin' a fit-just saying it should be part of the package. We bring our own wifi if we want it when we travel.

You already do. What does Google charge you for using their exceptional search engine, their document server, their mail system, their global map, their city view stuff, their web browser? Nothing. They charge you diddly squat. They sell practically no computer services to the average user. None. Yet... They made nearly $22 billion in revenue and a net income of almost $4.5 billion (an unbelievable margin, by the way).

The internet is not now, has never been, and never will be, free. The internet is like television. Television was paid for by advertising revenue. So is the internet. "Free Internet Here" is an advertisement. It makes me decide to have my coffee in this location rather than that one. You don't offer free wifi? I ain't drinkin' my coffee here. It has become a standard cost of doing business, built into the prices of the food such shops sell.

Since shortly after some nutcases decided to raise my favourite Manhattan restaurant with a jet plane, I have not flown. Were I making an income, I'd be paying taxes to pay for people who do fly to be "secure" in the knowledge they will not be allowed a scrap of dignity. Doesn't matter that I refuse to have my dignity taken from me. I'd still have to pay for it.

The Internet is populated by a counter culture who feels that everything should cost nothing. If the New York Times wants to make the financial mistake of the century, they can start attempting to charge for their newspaper. It won't last long, I assure you. Other unbiased reporting mechanisms will spring forth to take its place without charging a penny. That is the beauty of the world being networked.

There is no free lunch - its in the Accomadation Fee - as should be the fee for the Internet

Wasn't throwin' a fit-just saying it should be part of the package. We bring our own wifi if we want it when we travel.
Not really. I bring my own wifi connectability on the lappie, but someone has to pay for installing the service on the train so that I can receive it on my lappie. Initially Amtrak will probably install the stuff necessary so that I can get the signal. But ultimately I will probably be the payee so that I can connect to their service, and use it on my lappie. It still remains a matter of who will pay for the availability of the service. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back