Texas Eagle-bizarre fare findings/any ideas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
Hello,

In advance of my trip to TX this Summer, I routinely search for fares from NYC to Houston and/or New Orleans. I cam across this odd pricing from Chicago to TX aboard the TX Eagle for a June 26 departure.

If I book a sleeper from Chicago to Dallas the total fare is $401.00.

If I book a sleeper to Austin(which is further in distance from Dallas and a longer trip) the fare drops to $286.00! Why is the fare for a longer trip less expensive? Could I book the cheper fare to Austin and simply get off the train in Dallas? This pricing makes no sense to me at all.

Anyone know why this is priced like this?

Bill B)

There are two Texas Eagle train numbers, 21 and 421. I believe the 421 is the through car to the Sunset Limited on to LA. Make sure you are choosing the same train number in both your trials.

What dates are you inputting and what type of room?

Could I book the cheper fare to Austin and simply get off the train in Dallas?
Bill B)
I have many times heard of people getting off earlier for various reasons, and Amtrak souldn't have a problem with that anyway since that means one less passenger to take care of.

Well I just went and quickly checked things to find that, if I book a room on 421 it costs $401 to Dallas. Book the room on 21 and the price drops to $353, before any discounts.

However if I put in Austin, then I get a price of $452 for train #421 and $286 for train #21.

I noted that when going to Dallas, the system lists train #421 as the first choice, while when picking Austin the train lists #21 first. So that accounts for part of the price difference, but then it still does appear that Amtrak is pricing things higher for the Dallas market.

Now, that said, while you could probably get off in Dallas without incident, even though you happen to be booked to Austin, don't try to reverse this. If you don't board in Austin, they may sell you room out from underneath you by the time the train reaches Dallas. And you won't get a refund and may not even get a seat in coach.

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.

I think I will just book it to Austin and just get off in Dallas. I see no reason to pay the higher price.

I never check luggage so that won't be a problem. On board, though, should I tell the conductor or sleeping car attendant that I will de-train at Dallas?

If so, when should I do this? When I first board the train in Chicago, or wait until the next morning once we are closer to Dallas? Do they mind all that much if one gets off the train at an earlier stop rather than the one booked?

Bill

B)

I think I will just book it to Austin and just get off in Dallas. I see no reason to pay the higher price.I never check luggage so that won't be a problem. On board, though, should I tell the conductor or sleeping car attendant that I will de-train at Dallas?

If so, when should I do this? When I first board the train in Chicago, or wait until the next morning once we are closer to Dallas? Do they mind all that much if one gets off the train at an earlier stop rather than the one booked?
I wouldn't tell the conductor, as he/she probably wouldn't even care anyhow. And since Dallas is a major stop where the whole train will platform, there is no need to worry that you wouldn't be able to detrain from the sleeper. If you were getting off a small stop, that might be a problem and either the conductor would have to know or you'd have to walk back to the coaches to get off.

I would however mention it to your sleeping car attendant. Otherwise he might start worrying that you got left behind in Dallas and possibly alert the crew, causing uneeded worry on everyone's part. I'd probably just let him know the next morning. Tell him that a friend is going to meet you there, instead of Austin.

As for your final question, I've never tired it on a sleeper. But I once had a coupon for free round trip in Business Class on Acela. Only problem was that I needed to go to Philly. So I booked the trip, paid for an upgrade to First Class and rode down to DC from NY. Spent a day riding the rails down there and overnighted in DC. Then the next day, I rode back and got off in Philly for an OTOL fest. The attendant did look at me and say "aren't you going to NY?" So I told him what was up and he had no problem with my jumping off early. After all it was less work for him, and he still got his tip. :)

Don't forget to take the departure station slip over your coach seat with you. That way the attendant don't have to be panic and looking for you all over the train at a designated station.
Last time I looked the conductors didn't put seat checks over the doors of the sleeper rooms. :lol: :lol:

And Bill did say that he was in fact going in a sleeper, not coach, so I don't think that he'll have to worry about that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back