Texas Eagle San Antonio layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about riding the Texas Eagle EB later this summer. If I'm in the sleeper, am I allowed to wander town for awhile or am I supposed to stay nearby? Is the neighborhood friendly to an evening stroller? Is there any sort of security keeping an eye on the train?

Thanks

Thinking about riding the Texas Eagle EB later this summer. If I'm in the sleeper, am I allowed to wander town for awhile or am I supposed to stay nearby? Is the neighborhood friendly to an evening stroller? Is there any sort of security keeping an eye on the train?
Thanks
Aloha

If you are referring to the through sleeper, it will be up to the SCA. on my trip last April the attendant that took over our car informed those of us on the platform as she boarded that she would be locking the door until morning when the TE would be combined with the SSL. other attendants may do things differently. I had been told that except for the period the car would move as part of he connection we could come and go. Sorry I can not help more

Usually you can wander about town all you want. The Alamo and the Riverwalk are within walking distance. Also make sure you are booked on train #422, not #2 then #22. If the latter, you'll be required to wait in the station until boarding commences for a 7 AM departure.

Usually you can wander about town all you want. The Alamo and the Riverwalk are within walking distance. Also make sure you are booked on train #422, not #2 then #22. If the latter, you'll be required to wait in the station until boarding commences for a 7 AM departure.
The Alamo and Riverwalk are nearby, but I don't know if I would advise walking to them at night. To get there, you would have to walk under the interstate, and there can be some sketchy people around at times.

The Alamo and Riverwalk are nearby, but I don't know if I would advise walking to them at night. To get there, you would have to walk under the interstate, and there can be some sketchy people around at times.
The Riverwalk is awesome. If safety is an issue, take a cab there and back.

Also there is some 24 hour places such as Lulus that was on Man Vs Food

and Mi Tera Cafe and Bakery

MiTera

However you may want to take a cab to any of those places

Thanks
Aloha

If you are referring to the through sleeper, it will be up to the SCA. on my trip last April the attendant that took over our car informed those of us on the platform as she boarded that she would be locking the door until morning when the TE would be combined with the SSL. other attendants may do things differently. I had been told that except for the period the car would move as part of he connection we could come and go. Sorry I can not help more
Well, looking at the postings AFTER this one, it looks like the real answer is, "It depends on the SCA".

Thanks
Aloha

Well, looking at the postings AFTER this one, it looks like the real answer is, "It depends on the SCA".

Thanks to all for the info. Plan B is to get out the maps and google the neighborhood a bit more. However, Plan A is a definitely check-in with the SCA.

Why is there a layover in San Antonio for both the Texas Eagle and The Sunset Limited whats the point of it?

For the Eagle you want your trains to have desirable times at both the starting and ending points, with the Sunset running in the middle of the night you don't want to sacrifice that desirable time for that connection. For the Sunset it likely has a lot to do with the blocks it gets from UP, as well as schedule padding. I believe this is also a refueling/1000 mile inspection location for the train, so mechanical has a bit of work to do when the train is dwelling. Don't forget back in the day, the Sunset used to have a ridiculous dwell time in New Orleans, including a power change.

Interestingly, the route guide for the TE and the SSL talk about the 5-7 hour layover and encourage folks to wander to the river walk.

In a stroke of marketing brilliance, they fail to mention that it is from midnight on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back