Texas Eagle Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andy

My girlfriend and I will be traveling on the Eagle from Austin-Chicago in late April. I was able to use some Amtrak Rewards points for our tickets, but due to their rules and restrictions I am unable to reserve a sleeper unless we get one once we board the train. Does anyone know from experience what the odds are we will be able to upgrade and get a sleeper or are they usually sold out most of the time?

Odds are pretty good in late April that you might be able to upgrade to a sleeper.

However I'm curious what rules prevented you from using your points to book the sleeper in the first place. AFAIK only a lack of points would have stopped you from booking a sleeper.

Living in Dallas, I routinely take the Texas Eagle on short notice business trips back and forth between Dallas and Chicago. Between late October and mid-May, I seem to always be able to get a sleeper; if not a roomette (which is my preference), I can get a fancy deluxe room. Things change dramatically between late May though early October when I have to book sleeper accommodations at least three weeks in advance. Even then, I seem to be able to upgrade to some kind sleeper once I’m on board.

In response to why we couldn't use points for a sleeper or upgrade beforehand, it was a better deal to use what points I had to cover our coach tickets roundtrip rather than use them for a 1-way sleeper and maybe an extra 1 way coach ticket. Basicly, I lacked enough points for 1st class all the way. The woman on the phone at the rewards place said that upgrading on the train for sleepers is also the case for the Rail Sale discount tickets online.

Andy said:
In response to why we couldn't use points for a sleeper or upgrade beforehand, it was a better deal to use what points I had to cover our coach tickets roundtrip rather than use them for a 1-way sleeper and maybe an extra 1 way coach ticket. Basicly, I lacked enough points for 1st class all the way. The woman on the phone at the rewards place said that upgrading on the train for sleepers is also the case for the Rail Sale discount tickets online.
Ok, that makes sense. I just wanted to be sure though, because the way you originally phrased it, you made it sound like Amtrak had some sort of restriction or rule that prevented you from getting the sleeper. Not that the problem was a lack of points.

I'll be traveling on the Eagle in March. I have no AMTRAK points, this will be my first trip. What is the cost to upgrade to a sleeper? I'll have a group of 9 total.

Fares can be found online at www.amtrak.com. I don't know if they offer group rates for a sleeper, but you can call 1800-872-7245 and speak to an agent to find out more detailed information.

Latest posts

Back