Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited Boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train Rider

Service Attendant
My wife and I are planning on taking the TE from Chicago to San Antonio in a roomette and then continue on the Sunset Limited to Tucson. I understand that my TE sleeper car will simply be attached to the SL and depart in the middle of the night.

My parents will join us in their own roomette at San Antonio. My question is, if they sign up for the TE sleeper, can they board when the TE arrives in SAS at 10:00 PM or will they have to wait until the SL arrives and the TE sleeper is hitched up.

I understand that once you decide to stay on the TE during the stopover, you have to stay. I don't think my folks would appreciate waiting around until 2:00 AM to board a sleeper car that is sitting there when they could board at 10:00.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you are Booked on Train #421 as well as your Folks! The #421 Sleeper and One Coach are the Cars that are Cut Out and Attached to the Rear of Train #1 The Sunset Ltd. when it arrives into SAS from New Orleans! If you (or your Parents) are Booked on Train #1 from SAS-LAX you will have to De-Board and Wait in the Station until the Boarding Call for #1 is Announced! If you are already in your Room on the #421 Sleeper it will be Switched and Hooked to Train #1 while you are still on the Train or you have the Option of getting OFF to visit the River Walk, Dennys or just for a Smoke/Fresh Air Break on the Platform until it's time to do the Switching when #1 Arrives from NOL! You will need to talk to your NEW SCA Before you get Off the Train so you will know what is Planned, the Switching/Procedures can Vary depending on the Crews doing it! (you will get a New SCA (and Conductors) in SAS that will go on to LAX/ the Ones you had from CHI-SAX will spend the Night in SAS, then return in the AM towards CHI on #22!!!) If your Folks talk with the SCA and New Conductor they MAY be allowed to Board Early but since e-ticketing took Effect all Bets are Off! YMMV

The new SCA will go all the way to LAX, but the conductors probably disembark before they leave the state of Texas.

I would have them board one stop before San Antonio. It would make life a lot easier and get them in bed at a reasonable hour. That's what I would do.
That is a great idea that I should have thought of, thanks!

I agree. If they live in, or can easily get to, San Marcos and book all the way aboard train #421, they could sleep thru the stop in SAS! :excl: Or even if they could depart SAS that morning and ride north on #22 at IIRC 7 am to someplace like Temple, Taylor or even Austin and then book #421 south/west, it again may be easier.

Many times in SAS, they will not allow you to board until "the normal boarding time"!

I agree. If they live in, or can easily get to, San Marcos and book all the way aboard train #421, they could sleep thru the stop in SAS! :excl: Or even if they could depart SAS that morning and ride north on #22 at IIRC 7 am to someplace like Temple, Taylor or even Austin and then book #421 south/west, it again may be easier.
Many times in SAS, they will not allow you to board until "the normal boarding time"!
:hi: Ditto! Excellent Suggestion!!! ;)

That is true, but if they're on the #1 sleepers, there is no way possible for them to board before #1 arrives SAS in the middle of the night. That is unless they want to drive to Houston, the next previous stop for the SL!

Perhaps they can simply buy Coach on the 421 from San Marcos. There is a pretty good chance since they will simply be moving 1 car back in SAS the Condcutor/SCA may allow them to move in early. That way they do not risk losing the Sleeper fare they already have.

The sleeper charge will more than likely be substantially more on #421 than #1.
Did some amsnag searching for the time period I am looking to travel and the 421 sleeper from San Marcos to Tucson is considerably cheaper than the 421 from SAS to Tucson.

Is long-term parking at San Marcos free?

The cheaper roomette on train 421 compared to train 1 indicates that fewer rooms are reserved so far on the 421 sleeper.

Amtrak website says there are 5 long-term parking spaces at the San Marcos train station -- doesn't say whether they are free or not. But it does say that there is no parking attendant.

You might try telephoning the station some morning (when the station agent is likely there) to get some updated info.

The sleeper charge will more than likely be substantially more on #421 than #1.
Did some amsnag searching for the time period I am looking to travel and the 421 sleeper from San Marcos to Tucson is considerably cheaper than the 421 from SAS to Tucson.

Is long-term parking at San Marcos free?
The Parking is Free but San Marcos is an Unstaffed Stop, the Amtrak "Station" is a Bench with a Roof over it on the Platform! The Building Behind it is an Intermodel Station (Sort Of) for the Local Transportation Agency and for Greyhound Buses! There have Day Time Station Hours for these Two but Nothing for Amtrak! This is Not the Best Part of Town, if you Leave your Vehicle You're on Your Own as to Damage etc.

You may want to consider riding Greyhound from San Antonio to San Marcos since the Bus will let you off right @ the Station!(I'm not sure of Schedules or Fares, Check it out on Googgle) If #421 is Cheaper than #1 Book it ASAP Danno! ;)

(If you want to consider Amtrak, #21/#421 usually arrives into San Marcos between 7:30PM and 9:00PM, it depends on UP Traffic! #22 will take you from SAS @ 7AM-/Arrive @ San Marcos about 8:30Ish!)

two buses per day from San Antonio to San Marcos. First leaves SAS even earlier that Amtk 22. The other leaves SAS at 7 PM and arrives San Marcos at 8 PM. One way bus fare is about $14

What is the "normal" boarding time in San Antonio for the westbound Sunset? I'm in a sleeper if that makes a difference. I've been wondering what time to get to the station.

What is the "normal" boarding time in San Antonio for the westbound Sunset? I'm in a sleeper if that makes a difference. I've been wondering what time to get to the station.
Normal boarding time for the westbound Sunset at San Antonio is 2:30 AM in both coach and sleeper.

The above is the "Official" Policy but if you talk with the Agent @ SAS and the New Conductor (and SCA) that Boards in SAS when #1 Arrives, You MAY be allowed to Board soon as #1 Arrives. (The Conductor has to Scan your e-ticket first) Train #1 Sleeper and TransDorm are on the Front of the Train behind the Baggage Car! If you are on the #421 Sleeper that is Cut Out from the Texas Eagle #21 when it arrives around 9:30-10PM, it will be Switched along with theCut Out LAX Coach and Hooked to the Rear of the Train when #1 Arrives after Midnight and you probably would have to wait to Board till 2:30AM! I've been allowed to Board Early Several times by talking with the Conductor and SCA , they usually Hangout by the Door to the #1 Sleeper and TransDorm once the Train starts being Serviced!

Thanks Chakk and jimhudson for the info. I'm in the #1 sleeper, so I'll plan to get there before the train arrives from NOL. It would be nice to be able to get to sleep, at least for a little, before the train leaves. And I'll have a book handy in case I can't get on that early.

For the hours that the TE Sleeper and the Coach are waiting to be added onto the end of the approaching #1, are they provided with any power?

For the hours that the TE Sleeper and the Coach are waiting to be added onto the end of the approaching #1, are they provided with any power?
Yes, soon as the Cars are cut out from the Texas Eagle they are hooked to Ground Power by the Yard crew and the New SCA comes aboard the Sleeper to relieve the Eagle SCA who will return in the AM to CHI. Of course the Power will be cut during the Switching! You can either stay Aboard the Cutout Sleeper and Coach or De-Train to get some exercise or go to Dennnys. Be sure and check with the SCA if you get Off, you will have to stay off the Train until the switching is Completed once #1 Arrives from NOL!

When the #421 Southbound Texas Eagle arrives in San Antonio it will pull into the station and will usually be hooked up to ground power shortly after arrival. When the switching occurs a few hours later you'll be without power for anywhere from a few minutes to nearly an hour. I have no explanation for the large variation in switching times. Once the switching is completed you'll be connected to the #1 Westbound Sunset Limited. At that point they'll typically reconnect the ground power again. When it's time to depart they'll switch back to the locomotive and you're off.

Just an update. I arrived at the SAS station last night a little after 11:30 PM and was in my sleeper by midnight. The Sunset arrived an hour early so that may have helped. Thanks for the great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back