Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited trans dorm car(s) question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paull65

Train Attendant
I just booked a cross country trip that includes a roomette 22 in 2132 chi-sas and change to roomette 18 in 0131 from Sas-lax. I tried to get a thru roomette but none available on that date. Both of those rooms sound like numbers that are in the transition sleeper or trans dorm car. The agent said that I could stay on the train and just move to the other room when all of the car switching and adding was done. I guess car 2132 on the 21 could become 0131 on the 1 outbound and I would just have to move within the same car. Or...maybe not that simple.

If it doesn't then I would have to either wait in another car that is a thru car from 21 to 1 or get off and wait in the station.

So my question is: Does anyone know what really happens in this situation? Does the trans dorm get moved from the 21 to the 1 in San Antonio? Or would I be moving to the trans dorm coming in on the incoming 1?

Hope that I made my questions clear.

Although there is a transdorm on #21, it doesn't get transfered to #1 (which has it's own transdorm from NOL to LAX). You must switch at SAS, waiting in the station for #1 to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave answered the question about the two different trans- dorms. Please keep calling Amtrak and see if they can switch your room to the thru #421 Sleeper which is switched ( along with the thru Coach) in SAS to the #1 Train when it arrives from NOL.

Otherwise you'll have to detrain in SAS when #21 arrives about 1030pm and wait in the less than comfortable station until its time to board your Sleeper @ 2am!!

Thanks for the quick responses. It is what I suspected but was hoping that I was wrong. I will keep checking for a thru train 421 possibility between now and the departure date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back