Texas Eagle/ Sw Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Just wondered if a same day connection from Texas Eagle to SW Chief is a workable plan

or not??? Also , How is the ride on the Texas Eagle from Chi to Yuma ?? Was going to rent

a car in LA to goto Yuma but if Texas Eagle works I will go out on the Eagle and back on

the Chief to Chi. Thanks for any input!!

Trainfan

The current schedule has the TE arrival in LAX @ 10:10 AM, and the SWC departure from LAX @ 6:45 PM. Even with the long layover, I personally would not chance it, as the TE operates as the Sunset Limited between SAS and LAX :eek: - and you know that can be a little late!

Last edited by a moderator:
One possible option:

Since this should be a legitimate connection, then Amtrak should make sure you make the connection. After all, there is a scheduled 8 hours between your arrival and departure. By the way, that includes the last 30 miles in scheduled for 1 hour 55 minutes, so I would say about an hour of padding here, so unless the train gets to Pomona near 9 hours late, you should make the connection.

One possible option to consider if the train is so late they are thinking hotel for you:

There is about 25 miles between the Sunset's Ontario stop and the Chief's San Bernardino stop, and over 12 hours of space in the schedule. Therefore, if the train is up to around 10 hours late, you should be able to do this by taxi, and if they are thinking straight, Amtrak should pay for it because it would save a hotel night if you are ticketed through. I would be willing to risk it if the Sunset were near 11 hours off but absollutely no more.

Looking at the schedule, you might also try

DETRAIN: Pomona, CA

BOARD: Fullerton, CA

Station-to-Station distance seems about the same.

Would get longer for breakfast inbound (only :10)

but

might have a better chance for dinner outbound as

boarding Fullerton/7:20pm rather than San Bernadino/8:29pm

Looking at the schedule, you might also try DETRAIN: Pomona, CA

BOARD: Fullerton, CA

Station-to-Station distance seems about the same.

Would get longer for breakfast inbound (only :10)

but

might have a better chance for dinner outbound as

boarding Fullerton/7:20pm rather than San Bernadino/8:29pm
I'm presently in chicago union station having boarded the SW Chief two days ago from Fullerton. While I was checking my bags, the gentleman at the other window was rather upset. He was bound for New Orleans and he and his family thought they could get the Sunset Ltd at Fullerton. He was being reticketed, and got to spend some extra time in Southern California.

Which makes me wonder why the Sunset Ltd, and the SW Chief (and the Desert Wind when it ran) travel down different main lines on their trip east? The two lines must intersect somewhere? San Bernadino?

Just wondering aloud as I kill time in the great hall.....

Rick

The Sunset is an ex-Southern Pacific train and runs their line almost direct east out of Union Station.

The Southwest Chief is an ex- Santa Fe train and runs their line which swings to the south through Fullerton. This line between Fullerton and San Bernardino was primarily the freight route and passenger trains went through Pasadena. The Pasadena line is no longer through.

The ex SP and ex ATSF lines cross at Colton, which is about 3 miles south of San Bernardino. The ATSF route is somewhat longer than the SP route.

Thanks for the input, I decided to go chi to san and rent a car to go toYuma and then return the same

way. The SW Chief seems to run on time. Had a not too pleasant experience last year when

returning on CZ 7 hours late to not too friendly Amtrak people and being stuffed in an overfilled

van in the middle of the night for a 4 hour drive to michigan arriving at 4 Am . :angry:

So I am a little gun shy on missed connections.

I love riding the trains and MOST of the employees are great but there are some that seem bent

on giving Amtrak a bad name!!!

Thanks

Trainfan

If you are referring to San Bernardino (SBD), then you'll probably have to wait until after 8 am when the car rental is opened and have someone to pick you up. However, the Metrolink, the commuter train, will be busy taking the commuters to LA for work. You might want to try Riverside (RIV) which the Metrolink also serves, but on different route. Both stations are unstaffed. Found out last month that San Bernardino is "temporarily" unstaffed, despite what the timetable says. It's probably been that way for few years.

If you are referring to San Bernardino (SBD), then you'll probably have to wait until after 8 am when the car rental is opened and have someone to pick you up. However, the Metrolink, the commuter train, will be busy taking the commuters to LA for work. You might want to try Riverside (RIV) which the Metrolink also serves, but on different route. Both stations are unstaffed. Found out last month that San Bernardino is "temporarily" unstaffed, despite what the timetable says. It's probably been that way for few years.
I was going to SanDiego (SAN)via the Surfliner from LAX to rent a car,

thanks for your responce!!

Trainfan

I was going to SanDiego (SAN)via the Surfliner from LAX to rent a car,

thanks for your responce!!

Trainfan
Sorry, I misunderstood! Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back