Texas eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was Fort Worth I would guess until about 5 years ago, give or take.

Here is a riddle. Since the new design is actually serves two purposes, diner and lounge, will AMTRAK let passengers use the 'diner' side as a 'lounge' when the diner crew departs in AUS but the snack bar stays open. Same northbound out of SAS until the crew re-boards in AUS.

From my experience, AMTRAK has *ALWAYS* hated passengers hanging in the Diner when closed. So will they shoo people off? Will they let the folks mess up the diner side? Who will clean that up, or will the dine crew reboard and have to do it? Hmmmmm.

Seems the only real choice is to keep the crew on full time.

Maybe they do not serve breakfast northbound due to cost, but at a minimum they could extend dinner hours, save the $$$ for three hotel rooms in AUS, and have more time to prep for lunch northbound (if running late into AUS). I think AMTRAK would be wise to serve breakfast on #422, and study the feasibility of serving on #22.

Funny thing is, the rooms the crew uses overnights onboard from CHI-AUS, they likely get those same rooms back AUS-CHI.
Davey;

Are you perhaps suggesting that the crew get their rest on the trans-dorm? I don't know of anywhere else this is done on the system and after 24 hours plus riding the rails you really want to hit a hotel room. I'm not so sure that it is not in the union agreement that hotel rooms will be provided. It certainly would be a novel idea but I think the OBS crews would scream all the way to Washington and their General Union Chairmen. Another challenge would be to power the car at San Antonio for the entire lay-over.
I don't think that power would be an issue at all, since they manage to keep the through cars powered. But food could be an issue, especially since the cook wouldn't want to be cooking. And then there is the idea that the crew probably would like to get a break off of the train for at least a night. And I agree Jay, they probably would scream bloody murder. I think that it is already a part of the contract, so I'm sure that Amtrak would have to put them up overnight in a hotel, be it in San Antonio or Austin.

It was Fort Worth I would guess until about 5 years ago, give or take.

Here is a riddle. Since the new design is actually serves two purposes, diner and lounge, will AMTRAK let passengers use the 'diner' side as a 'lounge' when the diner crew departs in AUS but the snack bar stays open. Same northbound out of SAS until the crew re-boards in AUS.

From my experience, AMTRAK has *ALWAYS* hated passengers hanging in the Diner when closed. So will they shoo people off? Will they let the folks mess up the diner side? Who will clean that up, or will the dine crew reboard and have to do it? Hmmmmm.

Seems the only real choice is to keep the crew on full time.

Maybe they do not serve breakfast northbound due to cost, but at a minimum they could extend dinner hours, save the $$$ for three hotel rooms in AUS, and have more time to prep for lunch northbound (if running late into AUS). I think AMTRAK would be wise to serve breakfast on #422, and study the feasibility of serving on #22.

Funny thing is, the rooms the crew uses overnights onboard from CHI-AUS, they likely get those same rooms back AUS-CHI.
Davey;

Are you perhaps suggesting that the crew get their rest on the trans-dorm? I don't know of anywhere else this is done on the system and after 24 hours plus riding the rails you really want to hit a hotel room. I'm not so sure that it is not in the union agreement that hotel rooms will be provided. It certainly would be a novel idea but I think the OBS crews would scream all the way to Washington and their General Union Chairmen. Another challenge would be to power the car at San Antonio for the entire lay-over.
I don't think that power would be an issue at all, since they manage to keep the through cars powered. But food could be an issue, especially since the cook wouldn't want to be cooking. And then there is the idea that the crew probably would like to get a break off of the train for at least a night. And I agree Jay, they probably would scream bloody murder. I think that it is already a part of the contract, so I'm sure that Amtrak would have to put them up overnight in a hotel, be it in San Antonio or Austin.
Alan;

You're probably right about the power but one of two things would have to happen; the trans-dorm would have to stay coupled to the engine while they switch the California cars which makes the engineer shut down the HEP (totally a safety factor.) Otherwise they would have to set the car over onto which it could be connected to a land line power source.

Just one addition; IF they are "cold mealing" the sleeper pax between SAS and AUS don't think that they wouldn't do it to their own crews if the trans-dorm was indeed used for lodging in SAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the Dark Ages, when I was a switchman, the hog law was 16 hours. We hit the Huey Long bridge with 175 cars and 8 F-7's. Well we almost made it to the top and pulled a draw bar (the bar that connects two cars together.) A train had come up behind us and had to put the emergency brakes on after we stopped and he also got a drawbar (both were on the "wrong" end of the cars meaning that the separated part of the train had to be pulled back off the bridge and the cars set out.) Moral of the story is that after all the smoke cleared we were on duty 23 hours and 45 minutes. I was never so glad to get off of a locomotive in my life. Today's 12 hour hog law is a breeze but I can fully understand where OBS is coming from in wanting off the train ASAP at the bumper. I love railroading as much as anyone but it can get old quick especially if you work seven days a week as we did for many years.

well got my tickets in the mail today. that was fast sense i ordered them last Tuesday.the trip is has follows. ROY,CHI,LAX return LAX,CHI,ROY. TE up and swc back. leaving may 1st. and there all one way special fair no stop over

Davey;Are you perhaps suggesting that the crew get their rest on the trans-dorm? I don't know of anywhere else this is done on the system and after 24 hours plus riding the rails you really want to hit a hotel room. I'm not so sure that it is not in the union agreement that hotel rooms will be provided. It certainly would be a novel idea but I think the OBS crews would scream all the way to Washington and their General Union Chairmen. Another challenge would be to power the car at San Antonio for the entire lay-over.
Well, I guess that is what I am suggesting. After finishing Dinner (at a reasonable time and NOT before 6:30PM as it is now !!!), they would retire for the night to rise again at departure time the next morning.

So what do the other TE crew members do? My understanding is they had the Trans Dorm in SAS - that would be arriving 10:25PM, departing 07:00AM+1 - and not a hotel room. Maybe I misunderstood that.

I just got home from doing the trip on 421 from CHI-LAX (well, CHI-TUS... and bussed to LAX because of a freight derailment) and overall it was a nice trip.

Pictures are on:

rtabern.shutterfly.com

My recommendation is that if you get into San Antonio at a reasonable hour, walk over to the Alamo. Make friends with some fellow passengers and check it out... it's definetly with-in walking distance. Because of the late hour, I wouldn't walk it alone, but you'd be okay with atleast one other person. Walk to the right after the station... there are signs pointing the way. It's cool... I do 421 twice a year CHI-LAX... and always see the Alamo.

As far as the dining car crew, they currently serve an early dinner on Day 2 of the trip on 421 and they get off in Austin, TX and stay in a hotel room... and catch 422 back the next day.

To me, it would make more sense if they just served an early dinner and went to sleep in the Transition car and got turned around in SAS (the transition on 21 DOES become the transition on 22)... but I am sure it's a union thing or something that they get that hotel room in AUS.

I just got home from doing the trip on 421 from CHI-LAX (well, CHI-TUS... and bussed to LAX because of a freight derailment) and overall it was a nice trip.
Pictures are on:

rtabern.shutterfly.com

My recommendation is that if you get into San Antonio at a reasonable hour, walk over to the Alamo. Make friends with some fellow passengers and check it out... it's definetly with-in walking distance. Because of the late hour, I wouldn't walk it alone, but you'd be okay with atleast one other person. Walk to the right after the station... there are signs pointing the way. It's cool... I do 421 twice a year CHI-LAX... and always see the Alamo.

As far as the dining car crew, they currently serve an early dinner on Day 2 of the trip on 421 and they get off in Austin, TX and stay in a hotel room... and catch 422 back the next day.

To me, it would make more sense if they just served an early dinner and went to sleep in the Transition car and got turned around in SAS (the transition on 21 DOES become the transition on 22)... but I am sure it's a union thing or something that they get that hotel room in AUS.
Robert;

We've been discussing that on another topic. I'm almost positive that the crews are allowed to take lodging at Amtrak expense at the end of their run.

ok have another question. im only going to be in l.a for a day sense im doing this trip for the fun of it. if i go bar hopping i don't want to drag my luggage with me

Well, I guess that is what I am suggesting. After finishing Dinner (at a reasonable time and NOT before 6:30PM as it is now !!!), they would retire for the night to rise again at departure time the next morning.
So what do the other TE crew members do? My understanding is they had the Trans Dorm in SAS - that would be arriving 10:25PM, departing 07:00AM+1 - and not a hotel room. Maybe I misunderstood that.
When I came down CHI SMC in November that gal in our car said it depends on how late they get into SAS .. sometimes they're in a hotel .. sometimes they stay on the train... Not sure who/what determines where they overnight...

Fort Worth station is the original Texas & Pacific Railway HQ and has been redone in all its original splendor. I'm going next month just to see it and take some pix.
Actually, AMTRAK uses the Intermodal Center, just a short walk north (maybe 3 minutes) of the old AMTRAK stop at the Santa Fe depot. The Santa Fe depot has been restored by private concerns and serves as a party renal hall.

The T&P building is only served by the Trinity Rail Express, which also serves the IMC. You can take the TRE back and forth (see TRE schedules) or walk, but the walk will be about 15 minutes. I believe you can still wander the main lobby area, but sometimes the facility is rented out.

From my newest favorite website maps.live.com

T&P [looking west] with TRE in station. The outer two platforms are AMTRAK.

Santa Fe depot [looking north] with the south end of the IMC - and the northbound #22 (engine north) and southbound #21 (engine south) instation.

T&P [looking north] TRE rail platform under white awning

Aerial of entire stations complex

Pan around these pictures to get more views of more AMTRAK trains, including the Heartland Flyer, in station.
Your photo labelled 'T&P Station' is actually the intermodal facility. The T&P station is located to the southwest of the intermodal/Santa Fe station. Used to be across I-30 from downtown, but I beleive they have since actually moved the interstate to the southside of the tracks so the old T&P building is now semi-near downtown Fort Worth.

ok have another question. im only going to be in l.a for a day sense im doing this trip for the fun of it. if i go bar hopping i don't want to drag my luggage with me
If you're going to check your baggage on the return trip, I'm sure you could check it upon arrival.
im not checking my luggage i will only have like a duffle bag and maby a backpack and if i want to ride the metro (subway) i don't want to drag the bag around

Last edited by a moderator:
Your photo labelled 'T&P Station' is actually the intermodal facility. The T&P station is located to the southwest of the intermodal/Santa Fe station. Used to be across I-30 from downtown, but I beleive they have since actually moved the interstate to the southside of the tracks so the old T&P building is now semi-near downtown Fort Worth.
Ya well, it was just a typo.

I am very familiar with the Fort Worth station(s).....

... and the destruction of the I30 overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back