Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catblue

Service Attendant
Anybody ever done the multi-city trip in Texas?

Do you have recommendations upscale hotels and good restaurants in the downtown section of Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio? How far is Amtrak from these hotels?

What can you do in a day or two in these cities that are must sees? Not into night life activities.

Texas Eagle departs Fort Worth 2:10pm, arrives in Austin 6:30 pm. That would give us a whole day in Austin.

When we re-board we would arrive San Antonio 9:55 pm and spend a few days in San Antonio area.

We would fly in and out of Fort Worth because of time restraints.

Have already check on airfare and it is quite a bit more to fly into one city and fly out of another on round trip ticket. So on return trip we would board in San Antonio and depart in Fort Worth.

All suggestions and information would be appreciated.

As long as your aren't arriving into DFW on Sunday, you can take the Trinity Rail Express to downtown Fort Worth. You'll have to catch a shuttle. Now if you're flying Southwest into Love Field, let me know and I'll tell you how to get to Fort Worth. There are several nice hotels in downtown Ft Worth. The Sheraton is right across the street from the station and there are a few others within a few blocks walking distance. If you have a day in FTW, you can visit a few places that are easy to get to by bus from the Amtrak Station. Sundance Square is within walking distance and has many shops and restuarants. The Fort Worth Stockyards are a quick cab or bus ride up Main Street. Its a very cool area with lots of western type shops and good BBQ places. If you're up for museums, head down to the museum district. I might suggest the Cowgirl Hall of Fame, the Kimball Art Museum, or the Science Museum. Only do that if you have quite a bit of time though.

I'm not as familiar with Austin, but I'm sure our Austinite, Jim will chime in for that.

Do you have recommendations upscale hotels and good restaurants in the downtown section of Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio? How far is Amtrak from these hotels?

What can you do in a day or two in these cities that are must sees? Not into night life activities.

Texas Eagle departs Fort Worth 2:10pm, arrives in Austin 6:30 pm. That would give us a whole day in Austin.

When we re-board we would arrive San Antonio 9:55 pm and spend a few days in San Antonio area.

Have already check on airfare and it is quite a bit more to fly into one city and fly out of another on round trip ticket. So on return trip we would board in San Antonio and depart in Fort Worth.

You are in luck if you are coming to Ft. Worth In Feb. The Fort Stock Show & Rodeo Is going on until the last weekend in Feb., If thats not your style Ft. Worth offers many Museums from Modern Art to Western Heritage. There are many hotels near the Ft. Worth train station since the Convention Center and Ft. Worth water Gardens are almost right across the street. DFW.com will take you to a good website with many links. Ft. Worth is a great town and proud of its western heritage where people live easy but think first ;)

As saxman said, I live in Austin and have lived in San Antonio, also visited many times. The Austin station is in the middle of downtown, you can google it to get a map/picture etc. It's now 7 days a week with checked baggage service. The station is hard to get to/from so I'd say youll need a cab due to the location and terrible traffic in Austin that time of day. There are thousands of resturants and many really nice and cool hotels in Austin, if you want to PM me Id be glad to recommend, discuss. Orbitz.com is a great way to look @hotels before you book, Ive used them for years, find them the best.

San Antonio station is about 6 blocks from the Riverwalk/Alamo area, it's a transition area that used to be a wasteland/borderline Berlin but its fast being developed/improved. Of course theres a million tourist type resturants/clubs etc. on the Riverwalk and all the hotels downtown are fairly nice. Being a tourist and big convention city they can fill up, especially on holidays/weekends and during special events (ie Battle of the Flowers/Fiesta/Texas Folk Life Festival etc.) Right next to the station there are two excellent hotels/suites Ive stayed in (they are available to look @ on Orbitz.) called Best Western Sunset Suites (under $125 night including breakfast, it's not actually on the River walk but 6 blocks away) and the Staybridge Suites SA @ Sunset Station, really nice! My girlfriend loves both, one is 150 years old, completely modern, the other is a new high rise overlooking the station, Alaamodome and perhaps a hundred yards from Sunset Station. Since the train leaves @ 7AM for FTW it's handy to stay there, you can board @ 6AM, the station is small, usually crowded, you can check baggage, the crew there is very friendly! Again PM me if youd like details or have questions! Ill leave FTW to saxman and boxcar since they live in the area but the TRE (Trinity River Express) is a great way to get to/from the airport and to/from Dallas also which has a good light rail ,system called DART but thats another story! :)

BTW: Did you check Southwest Airlines, they have great fares and dont charge for bags! :lol: (saxman is an airline pilot/he might have other ideas!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.

This would be a early Spring trip.

Also trying to choose between Corpus Christi or Galveston for the beach/coast experience of this trip??????

Thanks everyone. This would be a early Spring trip.

Also trying to choose between Corpus Christi or Galveston for the beach/coast experience of this trip??????
Galveston is coming back just like New Orleans, it's sort of a funky New Orleans on the Bay/Gulf, the bad is that you have to go through Houston to get there (night mare traffic). Lots of motels and hotels along the sea wall- downtown (the strand) reminds one of the French Quarter without the sleezy bars!

Very reasonable except during Spring Break and during weekends and during the Summer and Shakespeare on the Strand and Mardi Gras!

Corpus is sort of a Florida style resort with a Mexican City attached. Padre Island is across the causeway (it's a National Park), lots of isolated beach for miles out on Padre. In town along the sea side drive are all the motels/hotels etc. Corpus is 150 miles down IH37 from San Antonio, an easy drive. SW Airlines also flies there but youd need a car.State Aquarium, old Aircraft Carrier here, harbor cruises, sea food, chains etc. A city by the sea.Reasonable except during special times.No beach to speak of in town!(it's on the Bay, not the Gulf)

Id suggest Port Aransas which is North of Corpus on Mustang Island, it's an old fishing village, you ride a free ferry to get there from the mainland (just 10 minutes or so), old hotels/cabins, new condos and hotels. Lots of sea food resturantts, a few pizza type joints/convience stores etc. The beach stretches for miles here, there is a fishing pier, sand dunes and great fishing on the jetties. This is very popular on weekends but except during Spring break and the Summer fairly quiet during the week. Not any night life to speak of which is restful!Not too pricey except as mentioned above.

All things considered IMO Port A is first, Galveston second, Corpus third! :)

My husband and I are native Texans, although we haven't lived there in years. We've visited many times since leaving, though, and San Antonio is one of our favorite cities. We can recommend La Mansión del Rio on San Antonio's Riverwalk, and many of the restaurants all up and down the Walk. La Mansión began life as a boys' school in the (early, I think) 1800s and is a Spanish Colonial-style building. We always stay on the river side with a balcony overlooking the "street" life -- great place to have one's morning coffee or an afternoon drink.

Austin, where both of us went to university, is filled with places to sightsee particularly if you have access to a car, although the traffic in town is pretty awful. Pretty towns in the Hill Country between there and San Antonio, too ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back