Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Service Attendant
Newbie to this board,I wanna go from Chicago to LA in the last week of january or the first two weeks of february on the Texas Eagle as a change from the South West Chief to see new rr track.The posts that I have read don't paint the most glowing picture of the Eagle yet I read others that are humorous about the things that happen while on board and sound like it is more of an adventure to see what happens vs a train ride.I am taking the train because I like trains and don't HAVE to be at a certain place on time.

I know the scenery is not outstanding vs let's say the CZ but I enjoy looking out the window,with the conductor following behind me with a windex bottle cleaning up my face prints on the window.I am looking for new track mileage but also want a good ride with decent service....any thoughts on the CHI to LA trip?

Thanks, Bill

Do it. I don't think the Texas Eagle is very bad at all. East Texas is nice. So is the part from Ft. Worth to Taylor. Also West Texas has some great views as well. (Well Texas in general is beautiful state) But if you like riding trains, you'll be fine with a 68 hour journey ahead of you.

Chris

Do it. I don't think the Texas Eagle is very bad at all. East Texas is nice. So is the part from Ft. Worth to Taylor. Also West Texas has some great views as well. (Well Texas in general is beautiful state) But if you like riding trains, you'll be fine with a 68 hour journey ahead of you.
Chris
Thanks Chris,I think you have made up my mind,I am going to LA anyway and did the SWC four times now,a different route is in order.I have thought about spending a little time in San Antonio,only there once for a short period of time and did not see anything( picking up brother at Lackland AFB). The Alamo and the river scene look like a nice way to spend a day.Just a thought.

68 hour journey ahead of me....geeze can I stay awake that long>>>:):)

Thanks, along to others who posted their trips I found in the search feature.

Bill

The Eagle has been running much closer to on-time in recent weeks (hopefully this will continue all year); also, speaking of west Texas scenery, make sure you're notified well in advance of the Pecos river crossing - it's arguably the most amazing bridge on any Amtrak territory (albeit not one for those with a fear of heights)

The Eagle has been running much closer to on-time in recent weeks (hopefully this will continue all year); also, speaking of west Texas scenery, make sure you're notified well in advance of the Pecos river crossing - it's arguably the most amazing bridge on any Amtrak territory (albeit not one for those with a fear of heights)
Thanks guest,on time:) Did a quick look for the Pecos river on a road atlas and looks like a small river but a really high bridge is there....did a look at the schedule and it looks like it is in daylight both directions,that is a good thing.

Not too sure how the San Antonio thing works,does the sleeper I am on get hooked up to the Sunset or do I have to physically change trains?

Fear of heights makes me wanna take the train just for this trestle,single track?

Thanks

Bill

Not too sure how the San Antonio thing works,does the sleeper I am on get hooked up to the Sunset or do I have to physically change trains?
Bill,

As long as your ticketed for train #421, you don't have to do anything, except maybe fall asleep in your bed either prior to the train's arrival in San Antonio or shortly there after. Your sleeper, as well as the one through coach will be unhooked from the rest of the Texas Eagle and supplied with power from the ground, until the Sunset Limited arrives into San Antonio. There will be short power outages during switching operations out of necessity, but overall power should be maintained throughout the night.

At that point the through cars will be added to the back of the Sunset Limited, and if everything goes well (read the trains are running on time), you'll wake up to find that you're now part of the Sunset Limited's consist.

If you should discover that your ticket reads trains #21 and that you then have a second ticket for train #1, then you have a problem. You will indeed have to get off the Eagle, wait in the station, and then board the Sunset Limited when it arrives. However, unless you get an agent that has no clue, this should not happen. Just be sure to confirm that you are booked on train #421.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

As long as your ticketed for train #421, you don't have to do anything, except maybe fall asleep in your bed either prior to the train's arrival in San Antonio or shortly there after. Your sleeper, as well as the one through coach will be unhooked from the rest of the Texas Eagle and supplied with power from the ground, until the Sunset Limited arrives into San Antonio. There will be short power outages during switching operations out of necessity, but overall power should be maintained throughout the night.

At that point the through cars will be added to the back of the Sunset Limited, and if everything goes well (read the trains are running on time), you'll wake up to find that you're now part of the Sunset Limited's consist.

If you should discover that your ticket reads trains #21 and that you then have a second ticket for train #1, then you have a problem. You will indeed have to get off the Eagle, wait in the station, and then board the Sunset Limited when it arrives. However, unless you get an agent that has no clue, this should not happen. Just be sure to confirm that you are booked on train #421.
Many thanks Alan, I just printed this message to give to my travel agent, she has never been wrong yet:)

Gotta admit I don't think I will wake up to see I am part of the Sunset,I won't sleep even after two Tylonel PM's:)That is nice to know that I don't have to do a thing especially at midnight.I thought that was probly how it worked.Any other scenic don't miss things to see?I am starting to get a little hyped now,from just a train ride to a possible ADVENTURE.

Thanks guest,on time:) Did a quick look for the Pecos river on a road atlas and looks like a small river but a really high bridge is there....did a look at the schedule and it looks like it is in daylight both directions,that is a good thing.
The Pecos is a small river in size but has a big history in Western lore. Judge Roy Bean ( the hanging Judge)set up his court as "The Law West Of the Pecos"

The Pecos is a small river in size but has a big history in Western lore. Judge Roy Bean ( the hanging Judge)set up his court as "The Law West Of the Pecos"
Boxcar,

Just doing some searching on that area,with Roy Bean etc.I wish I had the time to get a car and just travel around south west texas,it may not be the Rockies but it is still unique.That whole region,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona.......I need to come back some day and visit and stay awhile.I have been in this region before but not for a very long time.

Gotta a couple of good posts on the Texas Eagle, one other question, when at San Antonio,are we in the middle of the yards or at the station while waiting for the Sunset and are we able to get off the train to just hang out?

Thanks all...........

Bill

Boxcar,

Just doing some searching on that area,with Roy Bean etc.I wish I had the time to get a car and just travel around south west Texas,it may not be the Rockies but it is still unique.That whole region,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona.......I need to come back some day and visit and stay awhile.I have been in this region before but not for a very long time.

Gotta a couple of good posts on the Texas Eagle, one other question, when at San Antonio,are we in the middle of the yards or at the station while waiting for the Sunset and are we able to get off the train to just hang out?

Thanks all...........

Bill
Bill,

That area can be desolate in places and boring to some people. I live about 200 miles NE of the town of Pecos. Roy Beans "Jersey Lilly" was located in Langtry and I believe still stands today. This area has many historical landmarks and small museums pertaining to the old West. Oddly, the town of Pecos was located on the East side of the Pecos river and due to the theme of "The Law West of the Pecos", land West of the river was deeded to the town to expand over to the West side. :rolleyes:

As for where the sleeper will be located in San Antonio I can't say but I would assume it will be accessible to visit the station.

Too bad you will only be in San Antonio from 11:30 pm till 5:30 am if on time. A trip to the Riverwalk and the Alamo would be a cheap tour and a good travel break.

Just be glad you were not booked for this weekend and bused to San Antonio from Ft. Worth for SB Eagle or San Antonio to Ft. Worth on the NB Eagle..... :angry:

Too bad you will only be in San Antonio from 11:30 pm till 5:30 am if on time. A trip to the Riverwalk and the Alamo would be a cheap tour and a good travel break.
He'll just have to remember the Alamo next time. :lol: :lol:
Well if I can get out and walk around the station,look at the skyline and maybe drink a cold one at a local bar...I would be happy.I was in San Antonio once to pick up my brother when he was discharged from the AF.I did see the Alamo( briefly) looks larger on tv.I only thought of the Texas Eagle vs the City of New Orleans because of the number of people who boarded the TE from the metro lounge in Chicago while waiting for my SWC train.It doesn't have a popular song about it( could have but I don't know it)While I am still in the planning stage of this trip,I want to thank all who responded.

Bill,

Well if I can get out and walk around the station,look at the skyline and maybe drink a cold one at a local bar...I would be happy.I was in San Antonio once to pick up my brother when he was discharged from the AF.I did see the Alamo( briefly) looks larger on tv.I only thought of the Texas Eagle vs the City of New Orleans because of the number of people who boarded the TE from the metro lounge in Chicago while waiting for my SWC train.It doesn't have a popular song about it( could have but I don't know it)While I am still in the planning stage of this trip,I want to thank all who responded.
Bill,
Bill,

I suppose that I could be wrong about this, but I wouldn't expect to be running down to the local bar. You might be allowed to step out onto the platform at the station for a bit of fresh air, but I can't imagine that they'd let you wander off to the local speak easy. After all they do have to worry about security on the train and that means that someone has to watch the door to confirm that you really are a passenger and more importantly, that you are a sleeping car passenger.

Bill,
Yepper Bill, It's not as well known as "The City of New Orleans" but it's called "The Texas Eagle Way"

http://www.texaseagle.com/eagleway.htm

Bill,
Yepper Bill, It's not as well known as "The City of New Orleans" but it's called "The Texas Eagle Way"

http://www.texaseagle.com/eagleway.htm
I have just taken this train and you are free to get off in San Antonio. I did not though. I was in coach and managed to sleep but some people would find it too bright and noisy. Great trip though from Chicago to El Paso

Thanks for all the info guys, dang the TE has it's own song,who would have thought. I think my over all impression is I should try to sleep while in San Antonio,good luck on that:)Will play it by ear.

Just got a mailing today( where did they get my address?) from the National Association Of Railroad Passengers. Interesting read,ironic,NARP actively participated in the coalition to save the Texas Eagle...

Gotta admit I never heard of the TE till last february.It says if I join the group I will save 10% on Amtrak travel,(most Amtrak rail fares) with a three day notice. Anybody a member? My trip last february was 1036 dollars and if I were to save 10% that would more than off set the cost of membership.

While here, has anyone ridden the TE from beginning to end,what ever direction?

I am leaning towards from LA to Portland and on to Spokane to Chicago back to Cincinnati.Just did the SWC and CZ in february so looking for some different mileage.

Thanks again for the info,especially the Pecos river bridge crossing.

Bill

Bill

You will be allowed off the train. There is an entertainment district in the old Sunset station (next door to the Amtrak station ) nite clubs resturants. Also across the street on Commerce St. a local hang out, not fancy but cold beer,I cannot remember the name of it . Also the river walk is a $7.00 cab ride. All bars close at 2 AM

Have fun!!!

BillYou will be allowed off the train. There is an entertainment district in the old Sunset station (next door to the Amtrak station ) nite clubs resturants. Also across the street on Commerce St. a local hang out, not fancy but cold beer,I cannot remember the name of it . Also the river walk is a $7.00 cab ride. All bars close at 2 AM

Have fun!!!
Amtrakwine,

I don't think I will do the river walk that late at nite:)but the local hangout sounds interesting. Be my luck the train will be late and get into town at 2:01:)Is Commerce St. a short walk from the station? Sorta like a stones throw away? We have a great terminal here in Cincinnati but you have hike a bit to get to the actual terminal,a great place for the family.....The Old Sunset Station sounds like it could be fun...I just kinda mosey around alot,people watch and check out the surroundings,and sip on a cold one that does not cost $4.50.

Thanks .............

Bill

You will be allowed off the train. There is an entertainment district in the old Sunset station (next door to the Amtrak station ) nite clubs resturants. Also across the street on Commerce St. a local hang out, not fancy but cold beer,I cannot remember the name of it . Also the river walk is a $7.00 cab ride. All bars close at 2 AM

Have fun!!!
Amtrakwine,

I don't think I will do the river walk that late at nite:)but the local hangout sounds interesting. Be my luck the train will be late and get into town at 2:01:)Is Commerce St. a short walk from the station? Sorta like a stones throw away? We have a great terminal here in Cincinnati but you have hike a bit to get to the actual terminal,a great place for the family.....The Old Sunset Station sounds like it could be fun...I just kinda mosey around alot,people watch and check out the surroundings,and sip on a cold one that does not cost $4.50.

Thanks .............
Bill....A 2 am arrival time is a good possibilty. I know the schedule said a 11:30 pm arrival but I would almost bet you will be at least 1 1/2 hours down and therefore a 1 am arrival..... :rolleyes:

....A 2 am arrival time is a good possibilty. I know the schedule said a 11:30 pm arrival but I would almost bet you will be at least 1 1/2 hours down and therefore a 1 am arrival...
Thanks Boxcar, I was hoping for a little time off the train,I don't smoke but a little walk around would be nice.The Sunset will be late :) so I might see the sunrise:) When on a train( I am in no hurry) I have a what ever attitude...this is my vacation time and the train IS my vacation so I take what ever happens in stride. If I had to take Amtrak to be somewhere on time..........I would fly.

(edited to fix quote - AmtrakWPK)

Ok almost a year later and the ride did not happen,became executor in a will and took up my time.

After reading the posts on here twice I decided to take the Texas Eagle over the Zephyer....never been on it and wanna see some new rail. So we will leave on the Cardinal(Cincinnati) on the 26th of january to Chicago,then to Portland OR for two nites then the Coast Starlite to LA for one nite and the Texas Eagle to San Antonio for two nites. I am guessing the River walk is easily accesible to wheel chairs,which is what we want to see.And then back on the TE to Chicago and the Cardinal back to Cincy.

Thanks for all of the helpful replys..should be an interesting and fun trip this winter:)

Bill

Ok almost a year later and the ride did not happen,became executor in a will and took up my time.After reading the posts on here twice I decided to take the Texas Eagle over the Zephyer....never been on it and wanna see some new rail. So we will leave on the Cardinal(Cincinnati) on the 26th of january to Chicago,then to Portland OR for two nites then the Coast Starlite to LA for one nite and the Texas Eagle to San Antonio for two nites. I am guessing the River walk is easily accesible to wheel chairs,which is what we want to see.And then back on the TE to Chicago and the Cardinal back to Cincy.

Thanks for all of the helpful replys..should be an interesting and fun trip this winter:)

Bill
I'm jealous Bill,

My wife and I had to put off our September Amtrak trip and so we'll have to wait until next Spring. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back